The building was erected in the shell of the south wing of the old Cardigan Gaol from ca. August 1881 for Captain William Williams, and was named after his wife’s maiden name – she was Mary Stanley prior to their marriage. It was occupied by Mr. & Mrs. David Davies of the “Ship & Bonded Stores”, Pendre, from ca. 1881-1908. David Davies, John Davies, and John Stephens lived here in 1884. On 24th March 1884 John Davies, solicitor, brother of David Davies, died here, aged 32. Stanley House is shown on the 1887 O. S. map. On 9th November 1890 David Davies became the Mayor of Cardigan and on 14th November 1890 he donated an illuminated clock to the town. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Davies, 41; Mary Davies, 43, his wife; John H. Stephens Davies, 12, their son; Henry Percy Stephens Davies, 11, son; Eleanor May Stephens Davies, 6, daughter; Sarah Stephens Davies, 6, daughter; Henry Stephens, 77, father-in-law; Martha Davies, 29, cook; Margaret A. Davies, 28, house maid; and Mary A. Morris, 26, dairy maid. David Davies was a borough magistrate by 1891. He was re-elected Mayor on 9th November 1891 and four days later, offered to erect a clock-tower at the Guildhall at his own expense. On 27th December 1891 Henry Stephens died here aged 78. The Guildhall clock turret was presented on 31st August 1892. In May 1894 David Davies became a Warden of St. Mary’s Church for the year. In 1896 David Davies was a shareholder in the Cardigan ship ‘Drogheda’, 48 tons.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Davies, 51, Chairman & Managing Director of brewery company; Mary Davies, 53, his wife; David E. Stephens Davies, 23, their son, medical student; John H. Stephens Davies, 22, son; Henry Percy Stephens Davies, 21, son; Eleanor May Stephens Davies, 16, daughter; Sarah G. Stephens Davies, 16, daughter; Martha Davies, 34, cook (b. Clydey); Annie Davies, 22, housemaid; and Margaret Hughes, 23, domestic servant (b. Boncath). Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual and born in Cardigan. On 19th February 1903 Henry Percy Stephens Davies, youngest son of David Davies, died aged 23. In 1903 David Davies owned the Cardigan ship ‘John Ewing’, 95 tons. In 1907 David Davies owned the Cardigan ship ‘Ezel’, 140 tons. On 21st January 1908 David Davies died aged 59. In 1908-21 Mrs. Mary Davies, widow of David Davies, lived here. On 30th May 1913 a brick wall between Bingham House and Stanley House collapsed during a storm. In 1918 Mary Davies, Eleanor May Stephens Davies and Gladys Stephens Davies lived here. On 15th April 1919 Miss Gwladys Stephens Davies, daughter of Mrs. Mary Davies, married Mr. D. Lloyd Jones, the manager of the ‘London, City & Midland Bank’, Cardigan. On 25th September 1919 Mrs. Mary Davies was injured when she fell from a trap. On 8th September 1920 Nellie Stephens Davies, daughter of Mrs. Mary Davies of Stanley House, married Mr. D. C. Thomas. In 1921 Mr. & Mrs. D. C. Thomas lived here. On 23rd April 1923 a son was born here to Mrs. Nellie Thomas & Mr. D. C. Thomas. In February 1924 various properties belonging to the estate were offered for sale, including Central Cafe’, Empire House and Bazaar on Pendre. On 17th January 1926 Mary Davies, widow of David Davies of Stanley House, died at the home of her son-in-law and daughter – Mr. & Mrs. D. C. Thomas, Glanolmarch, Llechryd. In March 1926 the property was advertised to let. In March 1927 Stanley House was advertised for sale.
In February 1928 Stanley House opened as a guest house under the management of Mrs. E. Phillips. On 22nd November 1929 the Stanley House Guest House re-opened under new management – Miss Annie Mary Davies. In 1933 the Davies family lived here. On 11th April 1934 Miss Annie Mary Davies, elder daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Biddyr Davies of the Stanley House Hotel, married Trevor C. Griffiths of Blackwood – Deputy Coroner for North Monmouthshire. On 11th January 1937 Eleanor Davies, wife of Thomas Biddyr Davies of Stanley House, died. In 1938 Mrs. Scrivener lived here. In July 1939 Mrs. A. Scrivener of the Stanley House Hotel died. In September 1939 the military authorities took over the building. In 1941 the newly-created local ‘A. T. C.’ adopted Stanley House as their H. Q.. In 1944 the Army Cadets were based here. On 16th November 1945 the property was de-requisitioned. On 6th July 1946 Thomas Biddyr Davies of Stanley House, died.
In 1950-55, Dr. Claude B. Brownlie and Margaret E. Brownlie lived here. In 1969 Dr. E. Glyn Rees lived here. The house was made a listed building in 1992. By the 1990’s the property had passed to Mrs. Mary Davies. In 1998-2003 Mrs. E. Mary Davies occupied it. The building was cleared of furnishings in December 2004. It was sold by auction in July 2005 and advertised for sale again in May 2006. In December 2006 major renovations began. Much of the interior was altered early in 2007. By October 2007 the name had been changed to “Llety Teifi”. There was a guest house here in 2007-13.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Circa 1880 villa, possibly including part of former west wing of John Nash’s 1793-7 Cardigan Gaol. Stucco, 2 storeys and attic with slate roof and stone end stack. Three-window range with moulded eaves cornice. Two eaves dormers with arched small-paned sashes and bargeboarded gables. Main front has arched windows, broader to ground floor with marginal glazing bars, stucco hood-moulds and painted slate sills. Arched centre door with traceried fanlight in 2-column timber porch with arched head and cornice. Two-panel door with arched panels. Stucco quoins.
Garden enclosed by rubble wall with slate coping and spearhead iron rails. Two stone gate-piers with cross-gabled caps. Pedestrian gate in iron at right…”
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1914; 1920
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1884; 1890-95; 1898; 1903; 1905; 1908; 1911; 1914; 1918-21;
1923-24; 1926-29; 1933-34; 1937; 1939; 1941; 1944-46
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Census Returns 1891; 1901
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955; 1998
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950, 1953; 1955
Statement of Accounts – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1969
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Monumental Inscriptions, St. Dogmaels Cemetery
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 14/06/2013