by  • June 26, 2013 • Ceredigion, House, Llangoedmor, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 2 Comments


    The name means ‘Lent Grove’ – the former word in the context of the 45 days preceding Easter. Thomas Jenkin was the earliest recorded owner and occupier of the property by 1639. He had five sons, one of whom was natural, and a daughter. Jenkin Thomas was his heir, the other children being David; John; Thomas; another John, who was the natural son; and Margaret Thomas. On 30th March 1668 Jenkin Thomas of Llwyngrawys, son of Thomas Jenkin, wrote his will, leaving his estate to his wife, Margaret Thomas; his sister – also Margaret Thomas; and the children of his brother, Thomas ap Thomas. Probate was made on 11th July 1668. His eldest son, John Thomas, succeeded to the estate. In 1688 James Davies of Cardigan and Jenkin Jones of Rhosygilwen, Cilgerran, ordained the Oxford-educated John Thomas of Llwyngrawys as an Independent Nonconformist preacher and minister. It was he who oversaw the building of ‘Yr Hen Gapel’ alias Capel Isaf in Llechryd in 1709. John Thomas died soon after 1710.

    In 1714 Thomas Lewis lived here. He had married Magdalen a. k. a. Maud, daughter and heiress of Thomas David Thomas, cousin of John Thomas. She was the heiress to Llwyngrawys. He had an involvement with Coedmore Forge, Llechryd at that time, having formerly been involved with Blackpool Forge at Canaston, Pembrokeshire. In 1719 reference was made to the late John Thomas, whose widow, Jane Thomas, was then residing at Penyrallt Fach. In 1719 Thomas Lewis bought tools and equipment from Coedmore Forge, Llechryd. Thomas & Magdalen Lewis had five children – David, Thomas, Mary, Elizabeth and John Lewis. In 1729 Magdalen Lewis died aged 37. In 1731 John Lewis, son of Thomas Lewis, became the Mayor of Cardigan. In 1735 Thomas Lewis married Catherine Lewis, widow. They had a son, William Lewis, who resided here. It is alleged that the preacher Howell Harries stayed here a number of times from 1739 onwards. In 1742 John Lewis, third son of Thomas & Magdalen Lewis, died.

    In 1748 a plaque commemorating those who donated funds for the rebuilding of the tower of St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan, referred to a donation of £8 from Thomas Lewis of Llwyngrawys. In 1748 Thomas Lewis’ eldest son, David Lewis, became a J. P. for Cardiganshire. David Lewis married an heiress, Mary Greswood from Malvern. In 1749 Thomas Lewis of Llwyngrawys leased Melin Abercych corn-mill and converted it into an iron forge. In April 1752 Mr. Lewis of Llwyngrawys was a local Justice, who discussed the possibility of building a new house of correction in Cardigan. The house at Llwyngrawys was probably rebuilt in 1752-53. In 1753 Thomas Lewis purchased Clynfiew.

    In 1754 Thomas Lewis hid many “…salt bags among the corn so as not to pay duty…” and then bribed the tax collector five guineas when they were discovered. The excise man reported the incident and legal proceedings were only halted through the influence of the local gentry. William Lewis, son of Thomas & Catherine Lewis, married Margaret Bowen of Pantyderi, and the couple lived at Llwyngrawys. In 1757 Thomas Lewis married his third wife, Jane Owen, heiress of Clynyrynys, Ferwig. By 1760 Thomas Lewis had moved to Clynfiew. In 1763 their only child, Dorothy Lewis, was born. On 16th November 1775 Thomas Lewis of Llwyngrawys wrote his will. In 1776 David Lewis held the property, his father, Thomas Lewis, having died that year. In 1784 Miss Dorothy Lewis of Llwyngrawys married Rev. William Williams, notable Baptist minister of Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan. They later had three boys and five girls, though two boys and two girls predeceased their father, who died in 1799.

    In 1807 David Evans lived here. On 11th May 1807 Benjamin Evans of Llwyngrawys was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1807-61 Benjamin Evans lived here. On 17th July 1810 Elizabeth Evans, formerly of Llwyngrawys, wrote her will. She referred to her husband David Evans; her mother Elizabeth Evans, deceased; her son Benjamin Evans of Llwyngrawys; her son-in-law John Morris; son Joshua Evans; Sarah James – wife of Jacob James; daughter Rebecca Morris – wife of John Morris; and her brother Caleb Evans. Probate was made on 26th June 1811. On 7th October 1811 David Evans of Llwyngrawys wrote his will. He referred to his daughter Anne Harries; son Thomas Evans; son William Evans; daughter Mary Griffiths; son Joshua Evans; daughter Sarah James – wife of Jacob James; daughter Rebecca Morris – wife of John Morris; son David Evans; David Morgan – son of daughter Elizabeth Morgan; daughter Elizabeth Morgan, now deceased; and son Benjamin Evans of Llwyngrawys.

    In 1825 Benjamin Evans owned shares in the ship ‘Comet’, 42 tons. In 1838 the property was owned by William Henry Lewis. In 1841 Llwyngrawys was the home of Benjamin Evans, 70; farmer; Elizabeth Evans, 70, his wife; and 6 servants – John Edwards, 25; Owen Evans, 20; John David, 17; Esther Evans, 24; Sarah Lloyd, 22; and Jane Thomas, 16. On 30th April 1846 Elizabeth Evans, wife of Benjamin James, died aged 84. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Benjamin Evans, 79, Margaret James, 38, his niece; Henry Davies, 35, farm servant; Thomas Jones, 18, farm servant; William Davies, 15, farm servant; Sarah Davies, 25, house servant; Esther Davies, 19, house servant; James Evans, 46, labourer; and Thomas Davies, 40, lodger. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Benjamin Evans, 90, widower, farmer of 320 acres; Margaret James, 57, his niece; William James, 47, his nephew; and 6 servants – Margaret Edwards, 22, dairy maid; John Evans, 19, farm servant; Margaret Bowen, 18, farm servant; Asa Davies, 17, farm servant; David Davies, 16, farm servant; and David James, 16, farm servant.

    In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Evans, 51, farmer of 322 acres; Mary Evans, 49, his wife; Thomas Evans, 21, their son; Evan Evans, 19, son; John Evans, 13, son; Richard Evans, 10, son; and servants – James Edwards, 17; James James, 18; William Owens, 17; Eliza Thomas, 32; and Anna Lloyd, 19. In 1871-81 Thomas Evans was the farmer. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas Evans, 60, farmer of 291 acres; Mary Evans, 58, his wife; Evan Evans, 29, their son; John Evans, 23, son; Richard Evans, 19, son; Esther Thomas, 32, dairymaid; Margaret Jones, 17, general servant; Susannah Davies, 20, general servant; and John Thomas, 16, farm servant. On 6th July 1882 Evan Evans, son of Thomas Evans, farmer, died aged 31.

    In 1889-91 David Samuel Jones lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Samuel Jones, 46, farmer; Sarah Jones, 40, his wife; Eleanor Jones, 12, their daughter; Nathaniel Jones, 10, their son; Hannah Jones, 8, daughter; Thomas Jones, 6, son; Mary Jones, 4, daughter; Emily Jones, 2, daughter; Margaret Edwards, 25, dairy-maid; Elizabeth Nicholas, 19, servant; Hannah Owens, 15, servant; John Evans, 19, servant; and David Rees, 15, servant.

    In 1900-01 William Griffiths lived here. William Jones was the occupier and farmer in 1900-21. On 15th October 1908 there was a sale of stock and crops here for William Jones. In 1912 William Jones stood as a Rural District Councillor in the local election and was a Guardian of the Poor. In 1915 John and James Jones lived here. In May 1916 William Jones of Llwyngrawys became the Chairman of Cardigan Rural District Council. On 28th September 1916 John Jones, son of William Jones, J. P., of Llwyngrawys, married Miss Eleanor H. Davies of Bolafron, Ferwig. In March 1920 the 293 acre property was advertised for sale. On 10th September 1921 there was a sale of crops here for William Jones who was retiring.

    On 27th October 1925 there was a sale of stock and crops here for William George Gwyon. William George Gwyon lived and farmed here in 1923-26. In August 1927 Llwyngrawys was advertised for sale. It had five good bedrooms, 3 servants bedrooms and an attic. In July 1928 the property was advertised for sale with 218 acres. In March 1932 it was advertised to let. John Griffiths lived here at that time. On 21st October 1932 there was a stock clearance sale here. In 1935-46 William Owen & Mrs. Owen lived here. On 19th October 1940 Miss Annie Mary Owen, 2nd daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Owen, married John Owen James of Court. On 29th January 1944 Miss Margaret Ellen Owen, eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Owen, married Gwilym Davies of Llangoedmor. In June 1946 Miss Joan May Owen, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Owen, married David James Jones of Boncath. In July 1969 the 5-bedroom property was advertised for sale with 167 acres. The house was listed in 1994.


    In 1994 the house was described by CADW:

    Early C19 small country house, now flats. Roughcast with slate roof and stone end-wall stacks. Two storeys and attic, three-window range with centre pedimental gable and small-paned tripartite lunette. C20 bargeboards. 12-pane horned sashes and centre C20 half-glazed door. Outshut rear. Slate-roofed low service range to right with one centre eaves-breaking small 4-pane sash under small gable, ground floor half-glazed door and C20 large inset bow-window.

    Interior altered, and access to upper flat by outside stair on left end…”


    Carmarthenshire Record Office: Coedmore MS 159

    NLW Clynfiew MSs 2-16; 47

    NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B

    NLW Maenordeifi MS 25

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: Abstracts of Wills 1810; 1811

    Tithe Map of Llangoedmor 1838

    Census Return 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926

    Cardigan & Tiv-Side Advertiser 1882; 1908; 1912; 1915-16; 1919-21; 1923-25; 1928; 1932; 1935;

       1940; 1944; 1946; 1969; 2001

    Occupiers List of Voters – Llangoedmor 1889; 1900; 1911; 1915

    Annual Report – Llwynadda C M Chapel, Llechryd 1900; 1901

    Llangoedmor Parish Jury List 28/08/1902

    Poster – Election of Rural District Councillor – Llangoedmor 20/03/1912

    Paupers’ List – Cardigan Board of Guardians 1912

    Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994 

    Princelings, Privilege & Power, Leslie Baker-Jones 1999

    Historic Cardiganshire Houses & Their Families, Frances Jones 2000

    The Phone Book 2003

    Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.

    (c) Glen K Johnson 26/06/2013


    2 Responses to LLWYNGRAWYS

    1. James Lloyd
      June 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm

      Glen, it was a delight to see this posting and others on properties in the area. I have been studying them at length in recent years for clues to my roots in the area. Thomas Lewis was brother-in-law to my ancestor David Davies who emigrated to Pennsylvania.

      I have a few small additions to your account if you would like to exchange information.

      James Lloyd

      • glen
        June 27, 2013 at 7:52 pm

        Thanks James – always happy to exchange information – Thomas Lewis was quite an interesting character!

        Glad you’re enjoying the site – let me know if there are any other local properties you are interested in.



    Leave a Reply to glen Cancel reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *