The name means ‘The Mill Field’. Rev. John Picton George, Rector of Bridell, had the building erected as his new home in 1850. It was completed in 1852. Rev. John Picton George lived here in 1852-79. Rev. John Picton George attended and helped to facilitate a meeting of the Cambrian Archaeological Association at Cardigan on 15th August 1859. In 1861 John Picton George, 69, Rector of Bridell Church, lived here with his wife Margaret George, 56, and 4 servants – Martha Phillips, 24, dairymaid; Margaret Phillips, 18, house maid; David Griffiths, 37, servant in husbandry; and David Jones, 11, errand boy. On 6th August 1866 Margaret George, daughter of John Morgan of Llanddewi Hall, Radnorshire, and wife of Rev. John Picton George of Maesyfelin, died aged 65.
In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Picton George, 81, widower, Rector of Bridell; Margarette George, 22, his grand-daughter; Blanch George, 20, grand-daughter; William George, 60, farm bailiff; Catherine Williams, 26, dairy maid; Maria Davies, 21, house maid; John Jones, 11, farm servant; and Maria James, 26, charwoman. On 9th April 1878 Griffith Morris Williams of Trellyfaint married Margaret Gould George, 29, daughter of William Griffith George of Maesyfelin. Rev. John Picton George died on 17th December 1879 aged 90. On 13th February 1881 William Percival Gould Williams, son of Griffith Morris Williams & Margaret Gould Williams of Maesyfelin, was baptised at Bridell Church. On 30th March 1883 Maesyfelin was advertised to let. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Griffith George, 57, farmer; Margaret George, 54, his wife; Margaret George, 10, niece; and Hannah Evans, 22, servant. On 16th May 1894 Griffith George of Maesyfelin was buried at Bridell Church, having died aged 69 on 11th May 1894. In July 1896 Maesyfelin was advertised to let with 80 acres.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Volke, 61, farmer (b. Nevern); Margaret Volke, 65, his wife; (b. Nevern); and Stephen Lewis, 20, farm servant (b. Newport). All were Welsh-speaking. In July 1902 Maesyfelin was advertised to let. On 2nd October 1906 J. J. Williams of Maesyfelin married Miss E. A. James of Pantygover, Llantood. On 13th April 1910 George Chichester Williams, 25, of Maesyfelin, married Helena Sarah of Newcastle Emlyn. On 10th January 1911 a daughter was born to Mrs. Williams of Maesyfelin. On 10th March 1911 Margaret Sheila Williams, daughter of George Chichester Williams & Helena Sarah Williams of Maesyfelin, was baptised at Bridell Church. Their other children were also baptised there – David Griffith Williams in 1912. In May 1919 the 70 acre property was advertised for sale.
On 24th May 1919 it was sold by Mr. Williams to Richard Phillips of Crugefa, Cardigan. On 26th September 1919 a clearance sale was held here for Mr. Williams. In 1926 Richard Phillips lived here. In September 1926 the 70 acre property was advertised for sale. On 22nd October 1926 there was a sale of stock and implements here for Richard Phillips. In June 1927 Maesyfelin was advertised for sale. In August 1932 the property was advertised for sale due to the bankruptcy of Richard Phillips.
In April 1934 Sidney James Francis lived here. In 1934-44 John Hughes lived here. On 30th October 1934 Maggie Hughes, only daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Hughes, married James Picton Williams of Tygwyn. In 1935-51 William Hughes lived here. In 1937-43 Daniel Hughes lived here. On 18th July 1944 John Hughes died. On 25th July 1947 Mrs. Mary Hughes of Maesyfelin put the property up for sale with 70 acres. On 26th November 1947 Ernest Glyndwr Griffiths, son of John Griffiths of Maesyfelin, married Miss Gladys Muriel Johnson of Manordeifi. John Hughes lived here in 1950-55. In July 1956 Mrs. Mary Hughes of Maesyfelin died. On 23rd October 1959 there was a clear-out sale here. On 29th July 1960 the property was advertised for sale together with Rhiwsaeson.
Since at least 1974 this has been the Dyfed Riding Centre. The house was listed in 1994.
In 1994 the property was described by CADW: -
“…1850 small country house built for the Rev. John Picton George, rector of Bridell. Grey squared stone with Cilgerran cut slate dressings and hipped slate eaves roof with centre 4-shaft stone stack. Bracketed eaves. Basement and two storeys, square plan with formal three-window E front of 12-pane sashes with cambered heads, cut slate voussoirs and keystones. Slate sills. The ground floor sashes are in big segmental-arched recesses with cut slate voussoirs. Basement window to left. Centre door up three slate steps, with timber Ionic pilastered doorcase. 6-panel door with traceried overlight. Rear wall has long arched stair light with 12-pane sash each floor to right and lower two-storey rear wing to left. N side wall has 12-pane sash each floor.
A cobble pavement in rear angle of house is dated ‘JPG 1852’.
Interior said to have a fireplace dated 1850. Slate floored kitchen in rear with iron ‘Herald’ grate marked ‘Wm. James and Sons, Cardigan’.
A house of unusual elaboration, apparently built as a private house for the Rev. J. P. George, rector of Bridell 1839-79, whose family, of Ffynnoncoronau, Bridell, and later Rhydgarnwen, Llantood, were extensive local landowners…”
Archaeologia Cambrensis III Vol. V 1860
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1894; 1896; 1902; 1906; 1911-12; 1915; 1919; 1926-27; 1932;
1934-35; 1937-38; 1943-44; 1946-47; 1951; 1956; 1959-60; 1974; 1994; 2007
The Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cilgerran, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994
(c) Glen K Johnson 01/07/2013