The house was probably built ca 1850 or slightly later. On 24th March 1871 the property was advertised to let. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Mary Rowlands, 40, wife, farming 20 acres; Deborah Morgan, 70, her mother, house keeping; David James, 15, nephew; Mary Jane James, 14, niece; and Mary George, 24, general servant. On 17th June 1882 the property was sold by auction. In the late 1880’s it was occupied by David and Mary Sambrook and Henry Rowlands. In 1890 Henry Rowlands of Mount Pleasant, was the Sanitary Inspector for the Cardigan Poor Law Union. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Dorothy Morgans, 84, thatcher’s widow, (b. Llanddewi Brefi); Henry Rowlands, 54, son-in-law, Inspector of Health (b. St. Dogmaels); Mary Rowlands, 52, daughter; and Mary Jane James, 24, grand-daughter, assistant butcher. On 11th December 1894 Mrs. Deborah Morgans of Mount Pleasant died aged 87. On 24th March 1896 Miss Mary Jane James of Mount Pleasant married Evan Griffith Davies of Cardiff. Captain Henry Rowlands of Mount Pleasant died on August 15th 1900 aged 64. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Mary Rowlands, 60, widow, farmer & milk dealer (b. Trefilan, bilingual); Mary Jane Davies, 34, niece (b. St. Dogmaels, bilingual); David Parry Davies, 19 months, grandson (b. Cardiff); and Ellen Thomas, 17, domestic servant (b. St. Dogmaels, Welsh-speaking). Mary Rowlands of Mount Pleasant died in February 1910. Stephen Morgan of Cardigan, butcher, was the executor of her will. In January 1911 Mount Pleasant, a 5 bedroom & attic house, was advertised to let.
In 1912-16 Benjamin L. James, painter, traded here. In 1938 Mr. B. O. Davies and May Davies lived here. In 1941-55 Thomas Henry Evans lived at Mount Pleasant and was the Headmaster of St. Dogmaels Council School. On 1st November 1941 Huw Evans, solicitor, eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Henry Evans of Mount Pleasant, married Miss Molly James of Argo Villa, St. Dogmaels. In January 1944 Flight-Sergeant George Rhys Evans, R. A. F., son of T. H. Evans & Mrs. Evans of Mount Pleasant, was missing in action. In 1944 Wynne and Nance Evans lived here. On 20th March 1948 Nurse Enid Mai Evans, elder daughter of Mr. & Mrs. T. H. Evans of Mount Pleasant, married Edward Hugh Ellis of Abergele. On 11th June 1976 the property, also known as ‘School House’, was advertised for sale in derelict condition. In 1993 Mount Pleasant became a listed building.
The house was described by CADW in 1993:
“…Circa 1850 detached house in brown stone banded in blue lias with slate roof, red brick end stacks and paired brackets to eaves. Double-fronted, two-storey with large sashes, marginal glazing bars, slate sills and painted stone voussoirs to cambered heads. Similar head to centre C20 door with overlight. One concrete step and slate doorstep. Rendered E end wall with loft window. Whitewashed W end and outshut rear…”
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1871; 1882; 1894; 1897; 1900; 1911-12; 1916; 1924; 1941; 1944-
45;1948; 1951; 1976; 1980
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1901
Cardigan Observer 1896
Headed Paper – B L James 14/10/1912; 13/12/1915
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
Blaenwaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1944
Annual Report – Capel Seion, St. Dogmaels 1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW
Monumental Inscriptions, St. Dogmaels Cemetery
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 22/06/2013