A beam inside the building is said to be inscribed ‘J. A. C. WIGLEY. 1811’. The building is marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1835-37 this may have been the premises of John Davies, anchor & ship’s smith. This may have been the sail-loft of Lewis Evans in 1871 and of Lewis Jones in 1874-75. John Lewis, sail-maker was probably working here by January 1876-80. By 13th April 1879 this was the Bonded Stores warehouse of Daniel Davies of Cross House. His partnership with his brother, David Davies, “Ship & Bonded Stores”, Pendre, was dissolved on 2nd February 1880.
Daniel Davies still traded here in 1880-81. The property was advertised to let on 20th July 1883 and for sale on 25th July 1884, formerly occupied by Lewis Jones and Daniel Davies. On 29th September 1898 the Western Counties Agricultural Co-operative Association Ltd. moved here and remained here in 1899. In August 1909 the premises was advertised to let. In August 1919 the property was advertised for sale.
By 1952 it had been sold to Mr. George Leonard Vernon Smith who used the building for storage and the sale of furniture. In 1990 permission was sought for change of use to retail with flats above, and this was approved. In 1999 the property was sold to Nick Laing. It underwent renovation in 1999-2000. Ceredigion Training moved here in 2001 and was based here in 2001-13. The property was advertised for sale in October 2004.
In 2001 it appeared as follows:
Early-mid C19 former warehouse, now offices. Rubble stone with pitched slated roofs and end stack to S gable. West side, to Lower Mwldan, is 4-storey, 3-bay with broad boarded timber doors to ground floor centre beneath concrete lintel. Centre bays to upper floors all former loading doors, separated by concrete lintels. All now boarded with 4-pane lights to upper panels. Ground floor outer bays are tall bipartite casements, outer bays to first and second floors are 4-pane casements. Upper floor outer bays are 2-12-2 pane marginalised sashes. All openings have stone sills and painted cambered heads, save the upper floor, with concrete lintels to eaves.
Stone N gable end with red brick gable is reinforced with metal stanchions. S gable is stuccoed, with rendered end stack. Late C19 and early C20 extensions to S, now largely stuccoed with modern timber-framed lights, slated roofs. Canted angles to E at Eben’s Lane. Altered openings with small-paned timber-framed C20 windows. Three velux lights to roof.
Prior to renovation, boarded timber doors to Eben’s Lane and boarded timber sliding door to ground floor centre. Façade first floor windows were formerly 6-pane.
INTERIOR – ‘J A C WIGLEY 1811’ is said to be inscribed on an internal lintel.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1837
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1871; 1875
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1874-77; 1879-81; 1883-84; 1898; 1909; 1919; 1999; 2001
Poster – Daniel Davies, Drawbridge 1880
Planning Application & Appeal Documents – Mwldan Buildings 20/06/1990
Caring For Cardigan 1998
Last of the Mwldan, Idris Mathias 1998
© Glen K Johnson 12/07/2013