By 18th April 1871 “The Cambrian Inn” was trading here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Margaret Thomas, 74, culm merchant (b. Pembrokeshire); Hannah Thomas, 31, her daughter (b. Pembrokeshire); David Richards, 22, grandson, mariner (b. Mynachlogddu); William James, 25, nephew, ironmonger (b. Mynachlogddu); John O. Griffiths, 37, son-in-law, master mariner (b. Cardigan); Dinah Griffiths, 30, daughter, mariner’s wife (b. Pembrokeshire); Margaret Griffiths, 6, daughter (b. Cardigan); Catherine Griffiths, 4, daughter (b. Cardigan); and David J. Griffiths, 1, grandson (b. Cardigan). In 1871-77 Margaret Thomas traded here as a beer retailer and coal & culm merchant. On 3rd March 1877 Mrs. Margaret Thomas, 78, died at Cambrian House. In 1881 No. 1 was occupied by: Hannah Lewis, 42, widow, coal merchant; David Lewis, 8, her son; Hannah Francis, 16, general servant; David Jones, 21, lodger; Ebenezer Lloyd, 17, lodger; and Rees Lloyd, 18, lodger. In 1881-83 Hannah Lewis lived here. The building is shown on the 1887 O. S. map. After a period of dormancy, the pub re-opened ca. 1890 with Peter Lewis the licensee. In 1891 the license was transferred from Peter Lewis to David Owens. In 1891-95 David Owens lived here and was the publican. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Owens, 67, store keeper, widower; William Owens, 33, his son, joiner; Thomas Owens, 22, son, joiner; Sophia Owens, 28, dress-maker; and Ellen Owens, 10, grand-daughter. All were Cardigan born and bilingual English and Welsh. On 4th October 1892 William Owens, 33, son of David Owens, married Maria Elizabeth James of No. 44 Pendre. On 19th August 1893 Thomas Owens of the ‘Cambrian Inn’ married Anne Davies of Swansea. On 18th June 1898 George Gibbons, son of Thomas Gibbons of No. 1, died aged 4. On 9th May 1899 a daughter was born to the wife of Thomas Gibbons of the “Cambrian Inn”.
In 1901 the following persons lived at ‘No. 1’, (but ‘Cambrian Inn’ was said to be empty at No. 2): Mary Evans, 47, dress-maker; David D. Evans, 20, her son, coach-painter; Deborah Evans, 18, daughter; and Peggy Bowen, 18, niece, domestic servant. All were bilingual and born in Cardigan. It was licensed but dormant on 10th February 1905. The license was revoked in March 1905. In 1910-12 John Evans lived here. On 28th April 1928 Mary Anne Beamish, wife of retired coastguard John Beamish of No. 1, died aged 54. On 8th March 1936 Brindley Thomas Wheeler, 21, son of John Wheeler of Cambrian Quay, married Marion Jones of Cilgerran. In 1939-55 John Wheeler & Mrs. Letitia Wheeler lived here. In February 1940 H. Wheeler of No. 1 was a gunner in the army. By May 1946 H. Wheeler had left the army. In April-July 1970 No. 1 was advertised for sale. It was made a listed building in 1992. In March 1998 the house was advertised for sale. By late 1998 it was rented out to Neya Watts-Herschel. In 2002 it was sold to James Lynch. In 2003 D. Harris lived here. In January 2004 a stretch of the town wall to the rear of the property collapsed. In December 2005 and January 2006 the property was being refurbished.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
Mid C19 house in coursed squared blue lias stone with slate roof and stone end stacks. Two storeys and attic plus basement, 3-window range of 12-pane hornless sashes with cambered stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre door reached up 6 stone steps, 6-panel door with overlight and similar cambered stone head. Basement window to right and door to left with similar stone heads. One off-centre C20 dormer, flat with 9-pane window.
Iron area railings survive to right of steps, dismantled to left but leaning on adjacent wall (1991).
FURTHER OBSERVATIONS (2007) – Following 2005-06 renovations the roof now has two dormers with slate roofs and 6-pane sashes.
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Post Office Directory 1871
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1871; 1877; 1893; 1898-99; 1905; 1913; 1940; 1946; 1949; 1970
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1895
NLW Morgan Richardson MS 2373
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Cardigan Observer 1891
St. Mary’s Parish Register, Cardigan
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955; 1998
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 03/06/2013.