The cottage is believed to have been built c. 1800 as one of a pair with No. 2. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map, possibly the property of T. L. Lloyd. In 1835-38 Griffith Jenkins was the publican. In 1841 Anne Davies, 35, William Davies, 14, John Davies, 7 and David Davies, 3, lived here. In 1844 Margaret Griffiths was the landlady of the “Half Moon” inn. In 1851-57 William Walker lived here. The pub was then famous for its’ hot mutton pies and home-brew. In 1851 the occupiers were:- William Walker, 50, Outpensioner, Greenock Hospital; Mary Walker, 36, his wife; Joseph Watkins, 28, visitor, mason; John Lewis, 32, visitor, Sub Bailiff with the County Council. William Walker died here on 16th June 1857, aged 55. His will left everything to his widow, Mary Walker, and revealed that he was also known as Thomas Davies! In 1861 his widow, Mary Walker, 45, innkeeper, lived here with her niece, Letitia Davies, 6, scholar; Eleanor Griffiths, 23, unmarried, house servant; Anne Griffiths, boarder, 12, scholar; Thomas Morris, boarder, 48, currier; Richard Morgan, boarder, 22, ship’s carpenter; and William Griffiths, boarder, 10, scholar. On 22nd November 1864 Mary Walker, innkeeper, married William Davies, mariner of Bath House. The couple lived here and William Davies was the publican in 1864-82.
In 1871 William Davies, 41, mariner, was the landlord of the ‘Half Moon’, where he lived with his wife, Mary Davies, 47; niece, Letitia Davies, 19, milliner; Alice Thomas, 15, general servant; and David Phillips Walters, lodger, 35, mariner. Horses and pigs were kept in the backyard in 1873. On 4th January 1876 David Phillips Walters, mariner, of the ‘Half Moon’, married Eliza James of the Strand. In 1881 William Davies, 48, was still the innkeeper, living here with his wife, Mary Davies, 58; Letitia Davies, 28, niece, milliner; Mary Jane Owens, 5, scholar; Mary Jones, 19, domestic servant and Elizabeth Evans, 18, boarder, milliner. The property was sold by auction on 29th June 1882. On 18th July 1882 William Davies, tenant and publican, died aged 50. In 1882-84 Mary Davies, Letitia Davies and Mary Jones, tenants of the Castle Green (Cardigan Castle) estate, lived here. Mary Davies was the landlady in 1884. On 20th February 1887 Letitia Davies, 30, of the ‘Half Moon’, daughter of the late Police Sergeant Nicholas Davies, married John Hughes, 25, solicitor’s clerk of Bridge Street. On 16th January 1890 Mary Davies of the ‘Half Moon’ died aged 80.
In 1891 the pub was occupied by John Brice, 40, publican; Maria Brice, 32, his wife; Eliza Jane Brice, 10, their daughter and scholar; Alice Brice, 5, daughter, scholar, 5; Ada Brice, 4, daughter; John Alfred Brice, 3, son; and Maude Selina Brice, 1, daughter. In September 1891 the license was transferred from Sergeant Bryce to T. J. Nicholas. In 1894-95 William Morris was the landlord. In 1896-98 Daniel Griffiths lived here. On 3rd January 1900 Evan Owen Davies, butcher’s assistant of Bath House, married Miss Bridget Morris of Green Street, and the couple lived here. On 10th October 1900 Mrs. Bridget Davies was found, having drowned herself in the river Teifi.
In 1901 the ‘Half Moon Inn’ was occupied by John Vaughan, 30, manure merchant (b. Llanfihangel Penbedw); Sarah A. Vaughan, 22, innkeeper, his wife (b. Castellan); Thomas M. Vaughan, 9 months, their son (b. Cardigan); and Esther Jenkins, 19, visitor (b. Cardigan). All were bilingual. On 6th January 1902 the license was transferred to W. Lewis. In October 1905 David Jenkins was the landlord. In January 1907 the pub was advertised to let. Later that month Mrs. Ann Lewis became a temporary licensee. In February 1907 David Jenkins was still the licensee, though the magistrates were unhappy with the lack of a urinal at the premises. Repairs had recently been undertaken. There were stalls for 4 horses in the stables. In October 1909 the pub was advertised to let. On 1st November 1909 a temporary license was granted to Mr. J. Jenkins. In 1910-12 Thomas Parry Jenkins lived here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Thomas Parry Jenkins, 36, hostelier; Sarah Elizabeth Jenkins, 31, his wife; Hannah M. Jenkins, 7, their daughter; and Mabel Jenkins, 4, daughter. On 4th July 1913 the “Half Moon” was advertised to let, fully licensed and home-brewing, with immediate possession. On 12th September 1913 Mrs. Margaret (“Maggie”) Ellen Evans of Bridge Parade became the landlady of the ‘Half Moon’, succeeding Mrs. Jenkins. She lived here in 1913-40. The license was objected to on 2nd February 1914 and was revoked that March. According to the ‘Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser‘ of 6th March 1914:
“…P. S. Evans said there was a 7-day license to this house, which was situated in Green-street. The house was very old, and the general condition of the structure was only moderate, and it was very low. There were two rooms on the ground floor. The kitchen was 14ft 2 in by 7ft 5 in, and the parlour 14ft 1 in by 11ft 7 in. There was a cellar behind to keep the beer. There were three small bedrooms with low headroom. The licensee did not live on the premises and did not occupy it as a dwelling house, but locked it up at night and slept in a house at Bridge-End. There was stabling for four horses…”
As with the former ‘Castle Inn‘ next door, the horses had to walk through the front door and down the hall in order to get to the stables at the rear! The pub was referred for compensation in January 1915. Although closed, the ‘Half Moon’ had not been compensated by February 1916. In January 1921 Evan James Jones, eldest son of Mrs. Maggie Ellen Evans of No. 1 Green Street, saved a man from drowning in England. No. 1 Green Street was sold at a grand auction on 30th May 1924. On 12th August 1925 Maggie Ceinwen Jones of No. 1, died aged 21. In January 1935 James Evans, Mrs. Maggie Ellen Evans and Miss Annie Ellen Jones lived here. On 17th September 1940 Miss Annie Ellen Jones, 4th daughter of Mrs. Margaret Ellen Evans, died. In 1941-49 Elizabeth Ceinwen (“Betty”) Ladd lived here. In June 1943 reference was made to Leading Airman Don Adams and his brother Flying Officer Douglas Adams – both grandsons of Mrs. Margaret Ellen Evans. During World War II, J. McDonald Adams of No. 1 was killed in action. On 20th August 1949 Elizabeth Ceinwen (“Betty”) Ladd married James Pearce of Cornwall. On 7th June 1950 Jacqueline Pearce was born here, daughter of James & Betty Pearce of No. 1.
On 22nd June 1956 the property was advertised for sale. Mary Walters, wife of Evan Picton Walters of this address, died here on 19th March 1974 and was buried at St. Barnabus Church, Drefach Felindre. Evan Picton Walters died on 26th January 1988.
In January 1998 the long-derelict property was advertised for sale, together with No. 2. In October 2000 it was acquired by the Cadwgan Building Preservation Trust. The roof was removed in October 2001. A temporary roof was placed over the building in December 2002. Negotiations were held with Ceredigion County Council from March 2003 for the cottages to be sold and annexed to Cardigan Castle. The cottages were sold in August 2003 and a small archaeological excavation took place in the yard. During September 2003, a portion of a substantial medieval wall was uncovered – possibly the north side of the gatehouse, or possibly part of a wall tower.
Restoration work began in October 2003. By June 2004 the building had been re-roofed and refitted internally, and the south wall re-pointed in lime mortar and colour-washed, with new fenestration. The “brew-house” to the rear had also been largely dismantled and rebuilt. In 2005-08 Menter Aberteifi and the Cardigan Townscape Heritage Initiative Office were housed here. In March 2006 it became a listed building. In 2009 Menter Aberteifi moved out. In 2010-13 Cadwgan Building Preservation Trust occupied the cottages.
The property was described on 1st June 2001:
Single storey and attic cottage of ca1800, altered, lying on a roughly east-west axis, on a continuous line with No 2. Painted roughcast with painted stone sills to openings, tarred, graded slate roofs and replacement rain-water goods in cast iron and aluminium. Outshut rear to north with gentler pitched roof in corrugated asbestos. C20 replacement coped red brick end stacks. Façade to south, from Green Street, has centre door with arched-headed C20 brick surround, plain painted stucco over flat-headed opening. Recessed 4-panelled timber door, largely vandalised, plain reveals, tiled front step. Enlarged windows east and west, replacing sashes, with similar plain reveals, both replaced with C20 metal-framed lights. Window to right set slightly higher. Stuccoed plinth. Western gable end similarly rendered, with rendered bargeboard. Single first-floor flat-headed opening set left of stack, replaced with C20 metal-framed light, painted stone sill. Wide canted coping to west wall rear bearing lean-to roof – a later addition. Stepped walling beneath eaves to N suggests alteration of the roof pitch, probably when outshut rear was added in the early C19.
Later outshut rear has similar render over stone or red brick walling. Gentler pitch to lean-to roof in early-mid C20 corrugated asbestos. Early C20 rainwater goods. Single storey rear. North wall has deeply-recessed central boarded timber door beneath plain timber head, stone step, deep stuccoed reveals. Large metal-framed C20 window to left, tripartite. Two small windows to right – slightly larger to west. Tall C20 red brick stack to outshut rear.
INTERIOR – Largely modernised in the mid C20. Central passage flanked by rooms to south, then cross-axial enclosed single flight timber stair, former kitchen and bathroom to rear extension. Stucco rendered walls, concrete replacement floors, possibly replacing slate flags. Former kitchen has evidence of modest chimney with shelving to sides, all C20. C20 ceilings and internal doors throughout. Thick hewn beams to ceilings of main building. Internal boarded timber first floor flooring now largely collapsed. Boarded first floor ceiling to open-plan chamber. Rough hewn roof timbers, pegged trusses with carpenter’s marks, 3-bays. Re-used timbers, perhaps from sailing ships. Stucco rendered internal walls. Evidence of alterations to west gable and stack. Three blocked first floor openings visible – formerly eaves-breaking dormers.
To rear, early C20 outhouse, possibly former brew-house, in rubble stone to north and east, red brick to west, pitched roof in corrugated tin sheeting. Early C20 panelled timber door to west, near south angle, with 3 long vertical panels beneath 6 glazed upper square panels with C20 bubble glass. Small window set to left of this, head to eaves, timber frame with swivelling upper pane. Demolished 2001.
C19 Stone building to north, now roofless, in weathered rubble, gabled north and south, formerly with light truss-framed roof. South gable has boarded timber door to centre, beneath timber lintel. Small 4-pane casement light above, with angled slate sill. Featureless side walls in rubble stone.
Red brick privy to north-west in red brick, with lean-to graded roof of corrugated tin sheets. Boarded timber door to south. Garden wall to west is of coursed rubble.
By 2007, the building was significantly different in appearance: the external walls were lime-washed stone, but roughcast to W gable and rear. Slate roofs throughout with replacement cast iron rainwater goods. Replacement stone end and centre stack. Façade has 12-pane small hornless sashes flanking panelled timber door and three similar 6-pane eaves-breaking sashes to first floor. Outshut rear has two timber doors and sash window. Interior open-plan, retaining originally slate flagged floor and beams.
Former rubble outhouse now lime-washed and largely rebuilt with boarded door, small 4-pane casement and slate roof. Privy demolished.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1844
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1873; 1880; 1882-83; 1894; 1896-98; 1900; 1902; 1905; 1907; 1909; 1913-16; 1921; 1924-25; 1933; 1935; 1940; 1942-43; 1950-51; 1956; 1974; 1999-2000; 2002-05
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1914
NLW Morgan Richardson MS 2373
Register of Subscribers – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1883
Cardigan Observer 1890-91
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1918
Annual Report – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1924
Caring For Cardigan 1998
Sale Particulars – 1 & 2 Green Street, Halifax Property Services 1998
Articles & Memorandum – YCA Cadwgan BPT 21/03/2000
Minutes – Castle Working Group 21/01/2002; 11/02/2002
Miscellaneous Minutes & Documentation – YCA Cadwgan BPT 2002
Miscellaneous Minutes & Documentation – Cardigan Castle Working Group 2002
Miscellaneous Minutes & Documentation – Friends of Cadwgan 2002
© Glen K Johnson 09/06/2013