No. 1 is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. On 19th March 1860 William Thomas of No. 1 Quay Street, confectioner, joined the newly-formed Cardigan Company of Rifle Volunteers. In 1861-84 Catherine Davies lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Catherine Davies, 42; John Griffiths, 17, her nephew; William Griffith, 15, nephew; Edward Nightingale, 36, lodger; and Robert Roberts, 29, lodger. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Catherine Davies, 57, boarding & lodging house keeper; Edward Nightingale, 46, lodger, solicitor’s clerk; Richard D. Davies, 11, gentleman’s orphan; John M. Davies, 9, gentleman’s orphan; David Thomas, 7, gentleman’s orphan; Mary A. Jones, 14, servant; William Williams, 44, lodger, stage omnibus driver; and Jane Thomas, 60, lodger, retired milliner. In 1878 William Williams of No. 1, gentleman, owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. He died circa 1881. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Catherine Davies, 58, lodging house keeper; William Williams, 74, lodger, annuitant; David Davies, 17, lodger; Henry Harris, 35, lodger, Civil Servant; and Rachel Sais, 20, general servant. By 1st December 1882 this was the dental surgery of Mr. Bayntun. In 1884 Andrew Francis Bayntun still ran a dental surgery here. On 21st May 1884 Miss Catherine Davies died here aged 65.
On 3rd November 1889 a son was born here to the wife of Mr. William B. George. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William B. George, 48, draper’s assistant; Sarah George, 42, his wife; William George, 3, their son; David G. George, 1, son; and Hannah Jones, 76, his mother-in-law. On 21st February 1893 a son was born here to Mr. & Mrs. William B. George. On 16th April 1893 Mrs. Hannah Jones of No. 1, widow of Captain Thomas Jones, Master of the “Hannah”, died aged 78. In 1893-95 Mrs. Sarah George, milliner, lived here. On 25th December 1895 William Gilbert George died here aged 54. For 30 years he had been a draper at Manchester House, High Street and then New Manchester House, Bridge Street, working with Levi Phillips and his family, then John James.
In February 1897 C. Smith lived here. In September 1900 No. 1 was advertised to let. In 1901 No. 1 was unoccupied. In 1911 Benjamin and Sarah Bevan were said to be living here. In February 1914 Caroline Edwards lived here. On 28th April 1916 Mrs. Volk, mother of Albert John Volk and widow of D. Volk of Newport, died, possibly at No. 1. On 2nd December 1917 Albert John Volk, possibly of No. 1, died aged 61. In April 1920 Mr. S. T. Jones of No. 42 High Street was seeking vacant possession of the 11 room property. In 1920 Howard Austin Thomas may have lived here, though this may be in error for No. 1 Rock Terrace. On 4th March 1923 Frederick Emlyn Thomas died here aged 32. He was the son of Isabella Volk of No. 1 and worked as her van-man at her High Street bakery. In 1920-41 Mr. S. T. Jones lived here. In 1938 Mrs. S. T. Jones, Mr. Lewis Jones and Mr. Willie Jones lived here. In January 1942 Mrs. Leo Jones lived here. By December 1945 W. E. Jones of No. 1 was home, having served in the forces during World War II. In November 1948 Miss Molly Jones, only daughter of Mr. S. T. Jones and the late Mrs. Clara I. Jones of No. 1 became a pharmacist at Usk. In May 1950 William Emlyn Jones lived here. In September 1951 Michael Joseph Brogan of No. 1 married Miss Nancy Burke of No. 2 Quay Street. In July 1953 there was a minor chimney fire here. The proposed sale of the 3 bedroom property on 20th March 1954 was postponed. In 1955 William Emlyn Jones and Rachel I. Phillips lived here.
The house became empty circa 1982. It became a listed building in 1992. On March 4th 1998 complaints were made by nearby residents about the derelict state of the building. In 1999 planning permission was sought for the conversion of the property into three flats for Mr. G. Harries, the owner. It was advertised for sale in May 2002 and was sold in early 2003. In 2004 the building was gutted and was partly refurbished. It was still vacant in 2005-10. Refurbishment was belatedly completed in 2013.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“..Early C19 house altered in later C19, stucco on rubble stone, 3-storey, double fronted with imitation slate roof and stone end stacks. Two second floor plate glass sashes and 2 2-storey canted bays with hipped metal-sheet roofs, rounded angle shafts, plate glass sashes and panelled apron between floors, all later C19. Original central front door, 6-panel with traceried overlight and timber doorcase of 2 tall Roman Doric half-columns with cornice. Brackets under cornice between column capitals. Basement grilles each side. Rubble stone end walls…”
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1882; 1884; 1893; 1895; 1897; 1900; 1914; 1916-17; 1920; 1922
1942; 1945; 1948; 1950-51; 1953-54; 1998; 2003
Register of Subscribers – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1883
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1920
Cardigan Observer 1889
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Electoral Register – Cardigan 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Caring For Cardigan 1998.
© Glen K Johnson 15/06/2013