• No. 12 PENDRE (MUNDOS)

    by  • August 28, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Inn, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 1 Comment

     History:

    No. 12 was marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of John Griffiths. In 1851 the following persons may have lived here: Esther Morgans, 26, victualler; John Morgans, 2, her son; David Morgans, 2 months, son; and Anne Davies, 20, house servant. In 1856 Mary Morgan was born here. In 1859 Thomas Morgan was born here. In 1860 Margaret M. Morgan was born here. In 1861 the occupants were: David Morgan, 35; Anne Morgan, 35, his wife; John M. Morgan, 10, their son; Mary Morgan, 5, daughter; Thomas Morgan, 2, son; Margaret M. Morgan, 1, daughter; and Letitia Davies, 18, servant. In 1864 David Morgan was born here. In 1868 Mary Jones was the landlady of the ‘Angel’. In 1871 John Morgan ran the ‘Angel’ public house here. In 1871 the following persons lived at the ‘Angel’: Sarah Morgan, 40; Sarah Morgan, 13, her daughter; and David Korgan, 7, son.

    On 23rd April 1875 O. Owens & Son, Enamelled Slate & Marble Works, had recently opened here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Margaret Davies, 60, coffee house proprietress; David Davies, 34, her son-in-law; Ann Davies, 30, daughter; Margaret Davies, 3 months, grand-daughter; and a lodger. In 1885 Benjamin Evans had a photographic studio here at ‘Angel Fach‘. On 4th March 1887 No. 12, together with No. 11 and four cottages behind, was advertised for sale.

    In 1891 Margaret Jones, 56, widow, lived here. Mrs. Margaret Jones (widow of Captain J. Jones of No. 11 Pendre) lived here in 1891-1918. In June 1894 No. 12 was advertised for sale occupied by Mrs. Margaret Jones. In 1901 Margaret Jones, 67, widow, lived here. She was born in Cardigan and was bilingual. On March 8th 1918 Margaret Jones was buried at St. Dognaels, having died aged 85 on 2nd March 1918.

    In January 1924 ‘Cardigan Vulcanizing Works’ traded at No. 12 Pendre. In April 1926 Miss Gertie James took over ‘Celia’s’ clothing shop at No. 12, and moved the business to No. 34 High Street. In April 1926, No. 12 Pendre was advertised for sale.

    In 1926 Messrs. Stortini & Conti opened the ‘Express’ cafe here. In 1926-48 Giovanni Conti of ‘Conti Bros.’ lived and traded here. In February 1932 Mr. Giovanni Conti married Celestine in Bedonia, Italy. In August 1932 Mrs. Celestine Conti died after several months’ illness. In January 1948 Giovanni Conti died. G. Fecci & Sons were the proprietors in 1950-55. On 15th May 1953 G. Fecci re-opened the café, having formerly kept a shop here. In 1955 Louis Fecci lived here. In 1958 Guiseppe Rapachioli took over the ‘Express Café’. On 14th November 1964 Guiseppe Rapachioli of No. 12 died aged 53. In April 1966 the ‘Express Café’ was advertised for sale. In 1967-68 this was the ‘Express Café’. It later became Robert Squibbs’ sweet shop. The shop was later sold to Tudor James of No. 43 Pendre, who ran a newsagent’s and sweet shop here. T. A. & O. M. James traded here in 1978-86.

    In 1991 permission was given for alterations to the frontage and extensions for use as a factory clearance clothes shop for M. Mohammed. In 1997-98 the building was vacant and advertised for sale. In 2000 it became ‘Matilda’s’ children’s goods, and traded as such in 2000-05. It closed in November 2005 and then became ‘Page’s Books’ in December 2005 and traded here in 2006-08. Following major refurbishment by Matthew Greenland, in November 2010 it became ‘Mundos’ gift and toy shop, formerly of No. 35 High Street.

    No. 12 Pendre in October 2005 (c) Glen K Johnson

    No. 12 Pendre in October 2005 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Description:

    Old photographs show early C19 or earlier house in limewashed rubble with raised plinth and pitched slate roof. Two storey, 2-window range with small 12-pane sashes with slate sills above. Ground floor had door to right giving access to rear. Central door with projecting flat timber hood.

    Sources:

    Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834

    Pigot’s Directory 1844

    Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901

    Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan

    Post Office Directory 1871

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1875; 1887; 1894; 1918; 1924; 1926-38; 1940-41; 1944; 1948; 1950; 1953; 1963-64; 1966; 1978

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895

    List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910

    Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955

    Burial Register – St. Dogmaels 1885-1952

    Post Office Telephone Directory 1955

    Planning Application – 12 Pendre 06/09/1991.

    © Glen K Johnson 27/08/2013.

    About

    One Response to No. 12 PENDRE (MUNDOS)

    1. January 28, 2014 at 12:04 pm

      Hi Glen, Interesting reading about no 12 …… can you change the current occupier from Mundo’s to Mundos please. If you do come across any older pics of the property I would be interested in seeing them please. Regards Rod

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *