• No. 12/13 HIGH STREET (Tenovus)

    by  • July 9, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Office, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    Site Name: No. 12 HIGH STREET; “BON MARCHE”.

     History:

    No. 12 is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Mrs. Davies. In 1841-51 Mary Davies lived here. In 1841 the following persons lived here: 1) Thomas Evans, 45, mariner; and Margaret Evans, 45; 2) Mary Davies, 30, dress-maker; Ann Jenkins, 30, servant; Jane Jones, 15; and Mary James, 12. In 1851 No. 12 was occupied by Mary Davies, 38, dressmaker; Stephen Williams, 14, lodger, scholar; Phoebe Evans, 14, apprentice; and Ann Williams, 11, lodger, scholar. By 1861 Mary Davies had married Rees Griffiths and lived here until at least 1884. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Rees Griffiths, 46; Mary Griffiths, 47, his wife; Miriam Jones, 21, lodger; and Margaret Lewis, 19, lodger. Mrs. Mary Griffiths, 56, widow, dress-maker, lived here in 1871. In 1881 Mary Griffiths, 68, dress-maker, lived here with her lodger Thomas Evans, 16, student. The building was vacant in 1891.

    In 1901, No. 12/13 High Street was occupied by Griffith Huw Mathias, 37; Margaret Mathias, 37, his wife; Cyril C. E. Mathias, 18 months, their son; and Martha E. Evans, servant. This portion of the property, however, consisting of 3 rooms, was probably occupied by three lodgers: Sara E. Mitchell, 44 (b. Cardigan, bilingual); Elizabeth Rogers, 34, widow (b. Cardigan, English-speaking); and Muriel M. Rogers, 4, daughter of Elizabeth Rogers (b. London, English-speaking). On 17th August 1906 Mrs. Griffith Huw Mathias sold the property by auction.

    Advertisement for the new Bon Marche, No. 12/13 High Street (Glen Johnson Collection)

    Advertisement for the new Bon Marche, No. 12/13 High Street (Glen Johnson Collection)

    On 21st September 1906 tenders were sought for rebuilding Nos. 12 & 13 as a single building, to plans by Lewis Lewis, Cardigan architect. Edward Mathias of No. 12 became a Deacon of Hope English Congregational Chapel at that time. On 29th March 1907 during the digging of foundations towards the back of the property, a millstone was discovered at a depth of 7 feet, and a small walled enclosure was discovered at a depth of 3 ft, containing some animal bones. On 18th October 1907 Edward Mathias opened “Bon Marche” here which traded in 1907-83. In 1908 Alderman Edward Mathias became a J. P. Alderman Edward Mathias, former Mayor of Cardigan, died on 9th October 1911, aged 55. He had been a son of the late John Mathias of Pendre, cabinet-maker.

    In 1911-68 Edward Percy Mathias lived here and ran ‘Bon Marche’ drapers. On February 28th 1912 Edward Percy Mathias, 26, draper, married Margaret Anne Jenkins of Cwm, St. Dogmaels. In October 1915 Harold Mathias, son of Mrs. Mathias, was a 2nd Lieutenant in the 11thSouth Wales Borderers. On 8th April 1916 Lieutenant Harold Mathias, 3rd son of the late Edward Mathias of Bon Marche, married Kathlyn Follett of Wimbledon. On 9th July 1917 Annie Gwendoline Mathias of this address, 24, eldest daughter of the late Edward Mathias, married Herbert Howell of Glascoed, Pembroke. In March 1918 Signaller J. S. Mathias of Bon Marche was on active duty in France. In 1938 Percy Mathias and Miss Joan Mathias lived here. In February 1940 Vernon Mathias, son of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Percy Mathias, was a rifleman in the army. He was listed as missing from May 26th-September 1940, but was then located as a prisoner-of-war. In August 1941 Margaret Coushin, a Liverpool evacuee, was billeted with Mr. & Mrs. Edward Percy Mathias. In 1942-43 Miss Joan Mathias lived here. In April 1945 Rifleman W. E. Vernon Mathias of No. 12/13 was liberated after 5 years as a prisoner of war, and was home in December 1945. In 1952 R. D. Mathias ran the business. In 1955 Edward Percy Mathias, Margaret Anne Mathias and Margaret J. Mathias lived here. In September 1968 Mrs. Margaret Ann Mathias, wife of Edward Percy Mathias, died aged 80. In 1983 the Mathias family sold the property to the Trustee Savings Bank, who altered the building for their uses.

    No. 12/13 High Street, June 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    No. 12/13 High Street, June 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    In 1983-99 the ‘Trustee Savings Bank’ traded here. In 1997-2003 the upper floors of the building were occupied by ‘Antur Teifi’, ‘Business Connect’ and ‘Menter Aberteifi’. In 1999 the T. S. B. branch closed following a merger that August with Lloyd’s Bank. In 2001 following renovation of the frontage, ‘Clinton’s Cards’ opened a branch here. ‘Clinton’s Cards’ traded here in 2001-12. In 2003 Menter Aberteifi moved from the building. On 26th May 2012 ‘Clinton’s Cards’ closed. In January 2013 the ‘Tenovus‘ charity shop moved here from No. 20b. High Street and traded here in 2013.

    Description:

    The following observations were made in 2001:

    1906-7 building in stucco render with pitched slate roof. Second floor has marginal sashes to outer bays, plain centre, all in plate glass. First floor has similar to centre bay. Outer bays are canted-sided 3-sided projecting bays with flat roofs, projecting cornice, plate glass sashes, continuous sills and recessed aprons. Ground floor formerly timber with projecting corniced fascia sign above plate glass shopwindows. Ground floor totally remodelled with marbled effect for bank use.

    ADDITIONAL (2007) – Ground floor altered with timber fascia and shop front with plate glass windows and central door.

    Sources:

    Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834

    Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901

    Post Office Directory 1871

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1914; 1926

    Hope English Congregational Chapel Records

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1906-09; 1911-19; 1921-25; 1927; 1933-43; 1945; 1948-49; 1999

    2002

    List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910

    Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955

    Marriage Register – St. Dogmaels 1837-1970

    Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan

    All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923

    Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938

    Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949

    Bill-head – E. Mathias, Bon Marche 12/07/1973

    Planning Application, 12/13 High St 10/03/1983; 22/04/1988; 10/10/1988; 26/01/1994

    © Glen K Johnson 09/07/2013

    Site Name: No. 13 HIGH STREET.

     History:

    In 1834-52 Thomas Charles, solicitor, lived and traded here, and may have been here as early as 1824. No. 13 is marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as “Mr. Charles’ Office”. In 1834-36 Thomas Charles owned shares in the 136 ton Cardigan ship ‘Protheroe’. Thomas Charles’ name appears on the Burgess Roll for 1835-42. On 1st January 1836 Thomas Charles became treasurer to the Cardigan Borough Council, and became a council member in 1841. In 1841 Thomas Charles, 35, solicitor, lived here with Frances Williams, 65, and a servant – Hannah Evans, 35. Thomas Charles kept a school at Bridge End, St. Dogmaels, in 1844. In 1844 he was selling ‘Britannia’ life insurance. On 14th September 1847 Thomas Charles married Frances Williams, widow, also of No. 13, a daughter of Silvanus Nugent. On 5th March 1850 widower Thomas Charles, solicitor, married Anne Jones of Bridge Street, daughter of farmer Richard Jones. In 1850-84 Anne Charles lived here. In 1851 the occupiers were: Thomas Charles, 48, solicitor; Anne Charles, 45, his wife; Margaret Williams, 26, servant. On 4th October 1852 Thomas Charles died aged 51.

    In 1861 Mrs. Anne Charles, 53, widow, was resident, together with Mary Jones, 50; Louisa Jones, 37; and Elizabeth Morgan, 22. Mary Jones lived here in 1861-91. In 1871 Anne Charles, 60, widow, lived here. In 1878 Ann Charles owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. The following persons lived here in 1881: Anne Charles, 74, widow; Mary Jones, 73, her cousin; David Jones, 70, cousin; Louisa Jones, 60, cousin; and Jane Evans, 20, general servant. In 1891 Mary Jones, 85, lived here with her niece Maggie Edwards, 27, and Ellen Jones, 26, servant. On 15th September 1896 Ernest Smith Allen, 24, photographer of Tenby, married Annie Thomas Evans of No. 13, daughter of solicitor Thomas Griffith Evans.

    In 1901, No. 12/13 High Street was occupied by the following persons: Griffith Huw Mathias, 37, certificated teacher; Margaret Mathias, 37, his wife; Cyril C. E Mathias, 18 months, their son; and Martha E Evans, 17, domestic servant (b. Manordeifi). Except where noted otherwise, all were born in the parish and bilingual. In October 1901 Mrs. Mathias of No. 13 advertised the ‘Three Mariners’, No. 40 High Street, for sale. On 12th July 1904 a daughter was born to the wife of Griffith Huw Mathias of No. 13. On 17th August 1906 Mrs. Griffith Huw Mathias sold the property by auction. On 21st September 1906 Nos.12 & 13 were rebuilt as a single building to plans by Lewis Lewis, architect, Cardigan. See no. 12 hereafter.

    Description:

    None available

    Sources:

    Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers

    NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B

    Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901

    Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1844

    Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan

    Slater’s Directory 1868

    Post Office Directory 1871

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1899; 1901; 1903-06

    The Gateway to Wales, W J Lewis 1990.

    © Glen K Johnson 09/07/2013

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *