Site Name: No. 13 PENDRE; “BLACK HORSE INN”.
No. 13 is marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of David Williams. By 1835 this was the ‘Black Horse’ public house. In 1835-77 John Griffiths, Relieving Officer for the Cardigan Union, lived here. In 1839 Margaret Griffiths was born here. On 8th March 1841 David Griffiths, son of John & Margaret Griffiths of the ‘Black Horse’, died aged 12. In 1841 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 35, relieving officer; Margaret Griffiths, 40, his wife; Elizabeth Griffiths, 15, their daughter; John Griffiths, 13, son; Thomas Griffiths, 10, son; William Griffiths, 8, son; Mary Griffiths, 6, daughter; George Griffiths, 5, son; Margaret Griffiths, 2, daughter; and Mary Davies, 20, servant. On 16th May 1844 Dinah Griffiths, daughter of John & Margaret Griffiths, died aged 3. In 1844 Phoebe Griffiths was born here. In 1847 Elinor Griffiths was born here. On 1st July 1847 William Griffiths, son of John & Margaret Griffiths, died aged 14. In 1848 Griffith Griffiths was born here.
In 1851 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 47, Relieving Officer; Margaret Griffiths, 50, his wife; Elizabeth Griffiths, 25, their daughter; Thomas Griffiths, 19, son, mariner; Mary Griffiths, 16, daughter, scholar; Margaret Griffiths, 12, daughter, scholar; Phoebe Griffiths, 7, daughter, scholar; Elinor Griffiths, 4, daughter, scholar; and Griffith Griffiths, 3, son, scholar. On 18th October 1852 John Griffiths, son of John & Margaret Griffiths, died at Sam Blas, Central America. On 27th May 1853 Mary Griffiths, daughter of John & Margaret Griffiths, died aged 18. On 14th August 1856 Margaret Griffiths, daughter of John & Margaret Griffiths, died aged 18. On 24th September 1857 Elizabeth Griffiths, daughter of relieving officer John Griffiths, married David Griffiths, shipwright of the Mwldan.
In 1861 Margaret Griffiths, 60, lived here with her daughters Phoebe Griffiths, 17, and Eleanor Griffiths, 14. On 9th July 1868 George Griffiths, son of John & Margaret Griffiths and Master of the barque ‘United London’, died at Iquique, South America, aged 32. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 67, relieving officer; Margaret Griffiths, 71, his wife; Eleanor Griffiths, 23, their daughter; Willliam Lewis, 33, son-in-law; Phoebe Lewis, 27, daughter; and Mary E. Lewis, 2, grand-daughter. In June 1877 the former ‘Black Horse’ was described as dilapidated. On 22nd September 1877 John Griffiths of No. 13, a Relieving Officer for 36 years, died aged 77. On 7th December 1878 Margaret Griffiths, widow of John Griffiths, died aged 78.
About 1880 Samuel Young moved here from No. 19 William Street, and owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. In 1881 Samuel Young, 30, maltster, lived here with his wife Eleanor Young, 34. In 1884 David Griffiths had a grocer’s shop here and Samuel Young of Lancashire Insurance traded here. In 1891 Elizabeth Griffiths, 65, widow, had a grocer’s shop and lived here. In 1895 this was the home of Owen Beynon Evans and family. In February 1895 No. 13, a 6 bedroom property, was advertised to let. In November 1895 phrenologist Professor Preuss was here temporarily. In January 1896 sewing machine agent T. Morris was trading here. In February 1897 No. 13 was advertised to let.
David Williams lived here in 1900-01. In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Williams, 50, mariner in merchant marine service (b. Brynberian); and Catherine Williams, 52, his wife (b. Cardigan’s St. Mary’s Lane). Both were bilingual. In 1910 Owen Beynon Evans, son of Daniel Beynon Evans, and Sarah Evans lived here. On 24th August 1911 the 6 bedroom building with large warehouse to rear, formerly the property of Owen Beynon Evans, was sold to Mr. Rees for £500. In 1912-15 David Rees, butcher, had a shop here. On 25th November 1912 Elizabeth Anne (“Bessie”) Rees, only daughter of David Rees, married D. O. Conwyson Roberts of No. 10 High Street.
In 1915-29 Theopilus Evan Jones & Sons, butchers, traded here. In May 1916 there were plans to build a back kitchen for Theopilus E. Jones, probably to plans by John Teifion James Williams. On 27th October 1923 Johnny Jones, only child of Mr. & Mrs. T. E. Jones of No 13, died aged 6. In 1927 Nan Jones lived here. In June 1928 No. 13 was advertised for sale due to the retirement of Theopilus Evan Jones. In January 1929 No. 13 was advertised for sale. In March 1929 Theopilus Evan Jones sold No. 13 Pendre to Alban Thomas of No. 29 Pendre, butcher. In 1929-1945 Alban Thomas, butcher, lived here. In May 1945 the 6-bedroom property, a butcher’s shop, was advertised for sale, and Alban Thomas, butcher, retired in June 1945. On 29th June 1945 No. 13 was sold to Mr. Jones, Tanner’s Hall.
Mrs. Albert Jones lived here in 1949-50. On 5th November 1950 Mrs. Margaret Hannah Jones of No. 13, who had retired here with her husband, Albert Jones, died. In 1949-55 Albert Jones, greengrocer, traded here. In 1955 Albert Jones, Audrey Beryl Jones, Leslie Jones, William James Jones and Ralph J. Brunt lived here. In August 1966 Mr. & Mrs. William Jones lived here. In December 1967 E. N. & F. R. Picton had a delicatessen shop here. In 1972 ‘Andrew & Booth Insurance Brokers’ traded here, having taken over the business of ‘A. M. Bloom Ltd.’ here that January. In 1974 Andrew White & Co., insurance brokers, traded here. In 1976 Old Oak Insurance traded here.
In 1983-2003 ‘Homely Kitchen’ café traded here. Planning permission was granted in 1983 for change of use to a café, but proposed alterations to the frontage were rejected. In 1986 M. & L. Jones were the proprietors. In 1989 D. Hutton was the proprietor. In 1989-2003 I. & I. McKenna were the proprietors of the ‘Homely Kitchen’. It was given a refit in 1998. The café closed temporarily in November 2003. The café re-opened in February 2004 as ‘Food For Thought’.
Old photographs show stucco rendered later C19 house and shop with raised plinth, pitched slate roof and red brick stacks. Two and a half storey, 2-window range with eaves-breaking attic dormers with stucco gablets with decorative bargeboards beneath pitched slate roofs. Plate glass sashes and slate sills throughout. Ground floor had recessed door to right with timber doorcase having projecting flat timber shelf hood on brackets. To right was projecting 3-sided bay window with sashes to façade and canted angles. Continuous stone sill. Corniced head with flat roof over.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1844
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Post Office Directory 1871
Cardigan Observer 1877
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1920; 1926
Accounts of Rebuilding Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955; 1998
All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1895-97; 1911-29; 1934-35; 1937-38; 1940; 1945; 1950; 1966-67
1972; 1974; 1979; 1998
Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Programme – Cardigan Carnival 09/08/1950
Annual Report – Bethania 1952
Capel Mair, D J Roberts 1955
Planning Application – 13 Pendre 29/06/1983
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery, St Dogmaels
© Glen K Johnson 28/08/2013