No. 14 appears on the 1834 John Wood map of Cardigan. In 1836-68 Thomas Evans, shoe-maker, lived and worked here and was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1841 No. 14 was occupied by Elizabeth Evans, 70, and her grand-children Mary Evans, 8; Margaret Evans, 4; and Elizabeth Evans, 2. Thomas Evans’ workshop was on the first floor at the rear of the building – his workshop reached by a wooden external staircase. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Elizabeth Evans, 81, mariner’s widow; Thomas Evans, 49, her son, shoemaker; Jane Evans, 41, daughter, binding maker; Thomas Evans, 21, nephew, shoemaker; Elizabeth Morris, 24, house servant; Evan Jones, 31, lodger, mariner; and James Evans, 58, lodger, shoemaker. In 1861 No. 14 was the home of Elizabeth Evans, 90, master mariner’s widow; Thomas Evans, 59, her son, shoemaker; and Jane Evans, 51, daughter, baker. On 11th August 1862 Elizabeth Evans was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 93.
In 1871-81 William Williams had a butcher’s shop here. The following persons lived here in 1871: William Williams, 33, butcher; Leah Williams, 35, his wife; John Williams, 5, their son; Daniel Williams, 3, son; and Thomas Williams, 2, son. In 1873 Mary Williams was born here. In 1877 David Williams was born here. In 1879 William Williams was born here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: William Williams, 43, butcher; Leah Williams, 45, his wife; John Williams, 15, their son; Daniel Williams, 13, son; Thomas Williams, 11, son; Mary Williams, 8, daughter; David Williams, 4, son; and William Williams, 2, son.
In 1891 David Lloyd, 34, saddler, lived here with his wife Matilda Lloyd, 34; Evan Evans, 16, journeyman; and Maria Jeremiah, 16, servant. In 1891-1931 David Lloyd, saddler & harness-maker, lived and traded here. On 2nd May 1894 a daughter was born to the wife of David Lloyd, saddler, but died after 38 hours. They named her “May Lloyd”. On 6th September 1897 Matilda Lloyd, wife of David Lloyd, died aged 42. On 15th May 1898 Elizabeth Mary Lloyd, daughter of David Lloyd, died aged 2. In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Lloyd, 44, saddler & harness maker (b. Llanarth); Sarah M. Lloyd, 8, his daughter (b. Llanarth); and Elizabeth Jones, 25, domestic servant (b. Llangoedmor). All were Welsh-speaking. On 21st July 1907 David Lloyd became a Deacon of Capel Mair Congregational Chapel, Feidrfair. In 1911 he became a member of the Cardigan Board of Guardians until it was dissolved in 1930. In 1914 he joined Cardigan Borough Council for ten years. In September 1920 David Lloyd became a magistrate. In 1926 David Lloyd was a J. P..
In 1932-97 this was ‘Hardware Stores’ run by George Martell Evans, formerly of ‘Hardware Stores’ at No, 38 Pendre, which he took over in January 1927. In 1932-52 Mr. & Mrs. George Martell Evans, General Ironmongers, lived and traded here. In 1939 G. M. Evans became the Secretary of Siloam Baptist Chapel, Ferwig. Miss Iris Evans lived here in 1949. On 15th March 1950 Mrs. Sarah Jones of No. 14, mother of Mrs. Evans, died aged 87. On 9th August 1950 Miss Iris J. Evans, only daughter of Mr. & Mrs. G. M. Evans, married Griffith Berwyn Williams of Williams Terrace. Margaret & John Martell Evans lived here in 1952 as did Griffith Berwyn Williams and Iris Jones Williams. In 1955 G. M. Evans, J. M. Evans, Margaret Evans, G. Berwyn Williams and Iris J. Williams lived here. In February 1956 Mrs. Margaret Mona Evans of Penparc died here aged 80. Her son was proprietor G. M. Evans. G. M. Evans, ironmonger, traded here in 1956. In July 1964 G. M. Evans celebrated 25 years as secretary of Siloam Chapel. In 1973 G. Berwyn Williams of No. 14 became the Mayor of Cardigan. Mr. & Mrs. G. Berwyn Williams’ Hardware Stores traded here in 1976. In April 1988 Cllr. Griffith Berwyn Williams of No. 14 became the High Sheriff of Dyfed. In 1991 Emma Williams lived here. In 1996 John & Carol Evans retired. On 29th March 1997 there was a sale of stock and fittings held. No. 14 was advertised for sale in May 1997 and was still advertised following closure, on 24th September 1997.
In 1999 the premises became ‘Nicola’s Fashions’, but closed in late 2000. A planning application was made in early 2001 for extensions and alterations. The frontage was altered in 2002 and new dormers were installed. By then the property was part of ‘Penny Pinchers’. ‘Penny Pinchers’ traded here in 2002-11. The shop was vacated in early 2012. In early 2013 ‘Food For Thought‘ extended their premises at No. 13 into No. 14 where they opened a coffee lounge.
The building appeared as follows in 2000:
Shop and accommodation, 2-storey and attic, of probable C19 date, much altered. Stucco rendered street frontage, pitched slate roof and red brick end stacks. Ground floor beneath overhanging fascia board, projecting forward to centre section, canted angles, stepped outward with cornice and leaded capping over. Ground floor has C20 door with overlight, deeply recessed, to left, and 4-panel C19 timber door beneath rectangular overlight to right. Between these is quadripartite plate glass shopwindow with canted outer panes and flat front to 2-pane projected centre. Panes separated by painted timber columns. Continuous sill below. First floor has raised stucco quoins to angles, and two 2-pane C20 windows, set towards sides. Centre has remains of iron bar for projecting sign (lost). Attic storey has large dormer with 2-pane lights towards angles, boarded sides and slate hung façade. Timber bargeboard and flat mansard roof, felted.
Old photographs of the early C20 show paired dormer gables here with slate roofs.
INTERIOR – In June 2001, the interior of the shop had boarded timber floors and some boarding to the walls. Exposed ceiling beams bearing small hooks.
OUTBUILDINGS – To rear is C19 outbuilding range on E-W axis, with steps to N side leading down from the east end. The outbuildings are stepped down into three sections, all of one build. Rubble stone construction with cambered brick heads to openings and corrugated metal sheet gabled roofs, no stacks. Ground floor N side, from left, has small coal-chute against steps, partly-blocked former door, now window, with rubble fill, door, 12-pane hornless sash, then similar sash with timber lintel, boarded timber door near NW angle. Latter 2 openings beneath later lean-to garage with doorway to W, rubble walls W and N, largely replaced in concrete blocks to E. First floor has single opening to each section with slate sills centre and W and to ground floor W. 12-pane hornless sash to E with brick blocking below – possibly former door. E wall has broad opening beneath timber lintel, with red brick dressings and reveals.
OUTBUILDING INTERIOR – Colourwashed internal walls. W and centre rooms formerly had boarded timber doors to S wall.. Boarded timber floors. Truss roof with bolted frames.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895; 1914; 1926
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955; 1998
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1894; 1897-98; 1902; 1905; 1907; 1920; 1927; 1932; 1935; 1937-41; 1950; 1956; 1964; 1988; 1997; 1999; 2001-02; 2006; 2011
Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955
Annual Report – Bethania 1952
© Glen K Johnson 30/08/2013.