No. 16 is shown on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Benjamin Bateman, 73, farm bailiff; Charlotte Bateman, 66, his wife; William H. Bateman, 26, their son, grocer; and Martha Bateman, 27, son’s wife. On 19th May 1882 John Carpenter, baker, opened a business here. He traded here in 1882-92. In September 1885 Johnny Carpenter died here aged 1. In 1891 the following persons lived here: John Carpenter, 37, baker & confectioner; Eliza Carpenter, 42, his wife; David Carpenter, 15, their son; Willie Carpenter, 14, son; Mary Carpenter, 11, daughter; Sophia Carpenter, 9, daughter; Betty James, 14, step-daughter; Sophia Carpenter, 41, sister; Ellen James, 38, servant; William B., 16, workman; and John Williams, 12, boarder. John Carpenter moved to No. 8 High Street on 8th July 1892.
On 24th May 1895 John Smiley of Quay Street, tailor, died aged 18. In 1898 William Williams, Yeast Merchant, traded here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Smiley, 66, coachman, domestic servant (b. Tyrone, English-speaking); Julia Smiley, 56, his wife (b. Cork, English-speaking); and Margaret Smiley, 26, their daughter, dress-maker (b. Birmingham, bilingual). On 12th April 1906 Mrs. Smiley of No. 16 died aged 68. On 1st August 1914 John Smiley of No 16 died aged 74. In 1923-53 James Smiley lived here.In 1938 Miss Smiley lived here. On 8th July 1939 Miss Margaret Smiley of No. 16, formerly maid and companion to Mrs. Lloyd of Coedmore, Llechryd, died aged 67. In October 1949 David Smiley of No. 16 died, leaving his brother James Smiley still resident. On 2nd April 1953 James Smiley died aged 89.
On 5th March 1954 No. 16 was advertised for sale. On 11th April 1954 Daniel George Francis, father of Mrs. Jones of No. 16, died here aged 80, having moved to live here just five days earlier. In 1954 John Volk Francis, Annie Lilian Jones and David Eynon Jones lived here. On 27th April 1971 David Eynon Jones of No. 16 died, leaving a widow named Lilian Jones and children Sulwyn and Gill. The ground floor became a restaurant in 1985. In 1985-2001 this was ‘The Mariner’ restaurant. No. 16 was ‘listed’ in 1992. In February 1999 No. 16 was advertised for sale. The restaurant closed in 2001. In June 2001 planning permission was sought for change of use to residential only. In July 2003 No. 16 was advertised for sale. In December 2005 much of the interior was gutted, exposing some early timbers, and the stucco façade was removed.
The property was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Late C18 or early C19 house, stucco with imitation slate roof and brick east end stack. Two storeys, 3-window range of 12-pane small sashes with slate sills. Centre first floor window is blank, ground floor right has early C19 canted bay of 4-12-4 pane sashes and cornice. Centre half-glazed door recessed in plain doorcase with shelf hood on brackets…”
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Roof covering replaced in slate and centre first floor window replaced with 12-pane sash.
Cardigan, illustration, J Wood 1812
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1901
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1882-83; 1892; 1895; 1898; 1906; 1914; 1923; 1932; 1934; 1949
1953-54; 1971; 1999-2001; 2003
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Electoral Register 1955; 1998
Programme – Cardigan Fat Stock & Poultry Show 1980
Cardigan Civic Festival Programme 1986
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Cardigan Guide 1997
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.
© Glen K Johnson 15/06/2013