No. 17 is shown on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1864-74 David Morgan Palmer and his sister, Catherine Palmer, lived here. In 1864-74 D. M. Palmer was the Master of the Cardigan Academy school at No. 17. In 1871 the following persons lived here: David Morgan Palmer, 28, master of academy, B. A.; Catherine Palmer, 29, his sister, housekeeper; David Morgan, 15, cousin; Jason Phillips, 15, boarder; and Daniel Davies, 14, boarder. In 1877 Mr. E. Jenkins ran the Cardigan Academy at No. 17.
In 1881-84 William Rees, grocer, lived and traded here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: William Rees, 32, grocer; Elizabeth Rees, 23, his wife; Albert Rees, 1, their son; James Phillips, 23, lodger, scholar; James Morris, 20, lodger, scholar; George Morris, 25, lodger, scholar; and Ebenezer Davies, 16, lodger, draper’s apprentice. On 10th February 1882 a son was born here to Mrs. & Mr. William Rees, grocer. On 8th February 1889 No. 17 was advertised for sale, comprising of shop, house, warehouse and stabling.
In 1891 the following persons lived here: John Posthumous Howell, 71, solicitor; Emiah H. Volk, 36, his daughter; Albert J. Volk, 38, son-in-law; Edgar H. Volk, grandson; M. C. Morris, 7, grand-daughter; and Jane Davies, 18, servant. In 1891-95 John P. Howell, solicitor and high bailiff of the County Court, lived here. On 18th January 1894 a daughter, Audrey Volk, was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Albert J. Volk. On 5th February 1895 Audrey Volk, daughter of Albert J. Volk & Helen Volk, died here aged 1. On 15th August 1895 Emiah Cynthia Volk, daughter of Albert J. Volk & Helen Volk, was born. On 5th September 1896 Emiah Cynthia Volk, aged 13 months, died at No. 17. In May 1898 Albert J. Volk re-opened his fishmonger’s business at No 17. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Albert J. Volk, 42, fishmonger, shopkeeper (b. Newport, Monmouthshire, English-speaking); Walter A. Volk, 16, his son, engineer’s apprentice (b. Pitcairn Island, bilingual); and Edgar A. B. Volk, 10, son, scholar (b. Cardigan, English-speaking). In 1914 Albert J. Volk lived here and sold potatoes.
In March 1919 James Morris opened a butcher’s shop here. In 1922 William Thomas lived here. In 1923 Rachel Thomas lived here. In 1927-38 Mrs. Thomas lived here. In 1938-69 Miss Phoebe Anna Thomas lived here. In 1940-55 John Thomas lived here. In 1943 Annie Mary Jones lived here. J. E. Giles lived here in 1953. On 25th June 1953 Alan Leslie Giles, son of Peggy & Leslie Giles of No. 17, was born. In 1955 John Edgar Leslie Giles and Margaret Maud Giles lived here, as did Freda Barbara Phillips, Rees Elvet Phillips, John Thomas and Phoebe H. Thomas. On 26th March 1976 the 4 bedroom property was advertised for sale. No. 17 was ‘listed’ in 1992. In 1995 grant aided renovations were conducted here, including new roof coverings and new windows. In January 2005 the rear range was advertised for sale as a separate unit, derelict but suitable for conversion for residential use.
The property was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early C19 house, stucco fronted with corrugated iron roof and brick end stacks. Two storeys, double fronted with 2 hornless 12-pane sashes above, later C19 canted bay to ground floor left, centre 6-panel door with timber doorcase of fluted pilasters and shelf hood on brackets, 4-pane sash to right. Painted slate sills.
Long rubble stone rear range with ridge stack and 2-storey front…”
ADDITIONAL (2007) – Some C19 or possibly earlier vaulting to cellar in rear range. Blocked stair access into main house. Alterations of c1800 to cellar. Remainder of rear range looks early-mid C19 with cobbles to small 2-stall stable at N end and open range with rough beam over to south room in same. Above is open-plan loft with wide boards to flooring suggesting early C19 date. Possibly used as a schoolroom in late C19.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Hope Chapel Records
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Cardigan Observer 1877
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1882; 1889; 1894-95; 1901; 1914; 1919; 1922-23; 1927; 1934-35
1937-38; 1940; 1943; 1949; 1953; 1976
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938; 31/12/1969
Council House Application List 1953
Electoral Register 1955; 1998
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Phone Book 2003
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.
© Glen K Johnson 15/06/2013