No. 18 is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Philip John Miles, owner of the Priory estate. In 1841-61 Margaretta Lewis lived here. In 1841 Margaretta Lewis, 55, lived here. In 1851 Margaretta Lewis, 65, kept a shop here. In 1861 Margaretta Lewis, 70, still lived here.
No. 18 was rebuilt in 1863 for Joseph Clougher of No. 36 High Street, bookseller, to designs by Robert Jewell Withers, architect, at a cost of £891. This was an important early use of Cardigan brick in the town centre in an important Victorian Gothic building. On 17th September 1863 recently-born Arthur Clougher, son of Joseph & Eleanor Clougher, was christened at St. Mary’s Church. In 1863-90 Joseph Clougher, bookseller, lived and traded here. In 1863-1926 Arthur Clougher lived here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Joseph Clougher, 50, stationer; Eleanor Clougher, 48, his wife; Sarah E. Clougher, 14, their daughter; Joseph Clougher, 11, son; and 1 servant. In 1875 Joseph Clougher was an insurance agent for “Phoenix Insurance”. In 1878 Joseph Clougher owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Joseph Clougher, 60, stationer; Eleanor Clougher, 59, his wife; Sarah E. Clougher, 24, their daughter; Joseph Clougher, 22, son – a student at Oxford; Arthur Clougher, 17, son; and Anne Elias, 24, domestic servant. On 8th December 1890 Joseph Clougher died.
In 1890-1926 Arthur Clougher traded here as ‘J. Clougher & Son’ booksellers and stationers. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Ellen Clougher, 69, widow, stationer; Sarah E. Clougher, 34, her daughter; and Arthur Clougher, 27, son. On 21st March 1895 Eleanor Clougher, widow of Joseph Clougher and daughter of the late Caleb Lewis, died aged 73. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Arthur Clougher, 37; Sarah E. Clougher, 44, his sister; and Elizabeth Jenkins, 24, domestic servant. All were born in Cardigan and were bilingual. Arthur Clougher became the Mayor of Cardigan at the age of 37, on 9th November 1901.
On 26th September 1904 Arthur Clougher of No. 18 married Sybil Jones, 3rd daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. Jones, Gowerton, St. Mary Street. On 9th November 1916 Arthur Clougher became the Mayor of Cardigan again. In February 1922 Arthur Clougher became a J. P.. In 1923 this was “J. Clougher & Son’s Fancy Bazaar, The Library”. In February 1926 a clearance sale began for ‘J. Clougher & Son’. By 18th June 1926 Arthur Clougher had sold the shop to W. H. Smith’s. Arthur Clougher died on 29th December 1931 aged 68.
W. H. Smith & Son Ltd. traded here from 1926. In 1938 Mr. P. Davies lived here. Arthur W. Simmonds & Mrs. Annie J. Simmonds lived here in 1939-55. On 28th June 1939 Arthur W. Simmonds, son of the manager, married Miss Annie Johns of Plasterer’s House, Mwldan. Alterations to the shop front were conducted in 1993 and a flat-roofed extension added to the rear.
The following observations were made in 1998:
Circa 1863 shop with accommodation over for Joseph Clougher, possibly to designs by R J Withers. Two storey and attic range in Cardigan brick, 3-window façade, with decorative projecting banded eaves cornice in brick. Pitched slate roof with red brick left end stack. Two attic dormers with steep hipped roofs, slate with slate-hung sides. 6-pane casement lights. First floor has double band of grey bricks to window head level and single band to sill level. First floor has, to outer bays, 12-pane timber sashes with pointed-arched heads in painted banded nogged brick. Painted slate sills. Middle bay has window offset to right, formerly in matching style, but replaced c1900 with 3-sided canted projecting bay with plate glass sashes, narrower to canted sides. Graded 3-sided leaded roof with cornice and corniced base. Shop floor altered in 1990’s, Two sections with pilastered sides and bracketed projecting shop sign boards above plate glass shopwindows. To left is bipartite window with horizontal panels below – all later C20. Centre and right is similar pilastered, bracketed surround with projecting board above and panelled base, but smaller plate glass shopwindows flanking shop door with glazed reveals. Decorative banding continues around onto left gable end.
Old photographs show no canted first floor bay and matching window to ground floor left.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901
Parish Registers – St. Mary’s, Cardigan
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1890; 1895; 1901; 1903-05; 1907-09; 1911-12; 1914; 1916-18
1922-27; 1931; 1934-35; 1949
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1955
All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Planning Application & Plans – 18 High St 03/11/1992
© Glen K Johnson 22/08/2013