The property was built ca1800 as one of a pair with No. 1. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan, the property of E. P. Lloyd. On 13th March 1836 John Thomas, son of Benjamin Thomas, mason, and Mary Thomas of No. 2, was christened at St. Mary’s Church. In 1841 Mary Thomas, 45, lived here, with Thomas Davies, 20; Anne Roper, 22; Mary Roper, 8 months; Elizabeth Williams, 20; and Mary Jones, 14.
In 1843-66 this was “The Castle Inn”, with Evan Elias, the gardener of Castle Green (Cardigan Castle), its’ landlord. In 1843-44 he was a member of ‘The True Ivorites’ – a Welsh language society. On 29th June 1847 Thomas Davies of No. 2 died aged 27. In 1851 the occupants were:- Evan Elias, 54, gardener; Ellenor Elias, 55, his wife; Anne Elias, 27, their daughter; and Margaret Morris, 13, lodger – a day scholar. On 15th November 1859 Anne Elias, daughter of Evan Elias, married David Williams, bookseller, High Street. In 1861 Evan Elias, 64, gardener, lived here with his wife, Ellenor Elias, 67. Ellenor Elias died on 28th February 1866.
In 1868-89 Jane Jones was the publican and tenant of the Castle Green estate. In 1871 the ‘Castle Inn’ was occupied by Jane Jones, widow, 51, innkeeper, and her daughters – Annie Jones, 21, and Betsy Jones, 20. There were horses kept in the backyard in 1873, with the only access being via the front door of the house and through the hall! In 1881 Jane Jones, 61, was the landlady and lived her with her unmarried daughters – Ann Jones, 31, and Elizabeth Jones, 30. The property was sold by auction on 29th June 1882. Mrs. Jane Jones, the tenant and publican, paid £6 rent per annum. On 24th April 1889 Jane Jones, widow, died aged 69. The property was referred to as the “Castle Arms” on 7th June 1889 when the license passed to Anne Jones, daughter of the late licensee Jane Jones. Anne Jones, 37, was the publican in 1891 and lived here with her sister, Bess Jones, 28. In September 1896 the license passed to John Williams.
The cottage (no longer a pub) was advertised to let on 7th January 1898. By 7th September 1899 the premises was still licensed as a pub, but dormant and remained so a year later. In 1901 the occupiers were: David Davies, 41, coachman (not domestic) (b. St. Dogmaels); Mary Davies, 42, his wife; Mary A. Davies, 20, their daughter; David J. Davies, 18, son, solicitor’s clerk; and Benjamin L. Davies, 15, son, auctioneer’s clerk. Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual and born in Cardigan. It was still licensed as a public house, but dormant on 10th February 1905, but the license was revoked in March 1905. On 14th August 1906 Mabel Jenkins was born, the daughter of Thomas Parry Jenkins & Sarah Elizabeth Jenkins of No. 2. In 1911 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 38, plasterer; Martha Griffiths, 35, his wife; Annie M. Griffiths, 7, their daughter; Lizzie H. Griffiths, 5, daughter; David E. Grifffiths, 3, son; and John Griffiths, 1, son. In February 1913 it was advertised to let.
In March 1913 Mrs. Arabella Ann Davies of Castle Green advertised for a new chauffeur, and Arthur Lewis Davies moved here when he was given the position. In 1913-20 chauffeur (at Castle Green) Arthur Lewis Davies & Mrs. Margaret Mary Davies lived here. On 11th October 1914 Arthur Thomas Davies was born here. He was the son of Arthur Lewis Davies & Mrs. Margaret Mary Davies. On 27th September 1916 Mona Mary Davies was born, daughter of Arthur Lewis Davies & Margaret Mary Davies. On 10th August 1918 a daughter, Elizabeth Anne Davies, was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Lewis Davies.
In December 1921 a Mr. Williams lived here. In 1924 this was the home of the Misses Ceinwen Jones & Annie Ellen Jones. In 1927 Miss Annie Ellen Jones lived here. On 26th July 1927 Stuart Peter Starkey, son of Henry & Sarah Starkey of No. 2, was christened at St. Mary’s Church. Henry Starkey was a butler at Castle Green. In 1928 Mr. & Mrs. Henry Starkey and their son, Ronald Starkey, lived here. On 9th April 1942 Miss Mary Hannah Williams of Green Street died. Reference was made to her brother Mr. D. Rees Williams of Green Street. On 22nd June 1956 the property was advertised for sale. On 31st May 1962 David Rees Williams of the Hafod home, formerly of this address, died aged 89.
The building was advertised for sale in January 1998, together with No. 1. In 2000 it was acquired by the Cadwgan Building Preservation Trust. The roof was removed in October 2001. A new temporary roof covering was erected in December 2002. Restoration began in October 2003. By June 2004 the cottage and stable had been re-roofed and the cottage refitted internally, with new fenestration and lime rendered externally and painted with colour-wash. It became a regeneration office in late 2004 and remained so in 2005. In late August 2005 the Cadwgan Building Preservation Trust opened an office in the stables to the rear. In March 2006 it became a listed building.
The property was described on 1st June 2001 – One-and-a-half storey cottage of ca1800 and later, on a continuous line with No 1. Painted roughcast with painted stone sills to openings, pitched slated roofs, C20 red brick stack to left, eastern end stack, formerly massive coped stone stack, now collapsed. Rubble east wall. South front to Green Street, ground floor, has, from left, large C20 garage door, flat-headed, in boarded timber, with glazed upper panels. Plain reveals. Central boarded timber door, close set to right of garage opening, flat head. Four-pane timber sash to right. Upper storey has two eaves-breaking half-dormer lights with pitched slated roofs and leaded sides, 4-pane horned sashes. Rainwater goods largely collapsed – formerly cast iron.
Rear of cottage set slightly back from rear of No 1, slightly lower, with a continuous roof pitch from the ridge to single storey rear. Rubble stone construction, formerly colour-washed, with grouted slate roof, patched in corrugated asbestos. Extremely deeply recessed centre with outer boarded timber gate, then narrow passage to main cottage, flanked by two extensions, probably contemporary, possibly of the late C18 or early C19. Evidence of main roof being heightened before outshut extensions added. Projections both have small single-pane timber framed casements with flush slate sills and timber lintels.
INTERIOR – Rear door, through passage, formerly wider to E side, timber lintel. West projection has low doorway west of the passage, timber frame, with rubble fill over, beneath earlier timber lintel. Roof timbers suggest this was a later addition to the cottage, perhaps of the early-mid C19. Corner fireplace to NW, canted angle with probable late C19 cast iron stove and grate beneath large thick timber lintel. Window recess to N beneath timber lintel with rubble fill beneath, over wide internal slate sill, perhaps the opening reduced in height. Large rough-hewn roof timbers, supporting later, possibly machine-cut purlins. Former door in boarded timber, leaning against wall. Main building has staircase partially across passage – probably a later insert. South-westerly room altered for use as garage – formerly room and hall passage. C20 stucco render. Large rough-hewn ceiling beams. Spiral staircase in machine-cut timber with centre post and ramped handrail, probably C19. Boarded timber internal wall to E room, possibly C18. Large fireplace to NE angle with large open fire beneath massive hand-cut timber overmantle beam. Access to NE outshut, which has evidence of blocked former window to E wall, probably pre-1850. Two openings to N – both with timber lintels and slate internal sills, easterly opening blocked in rubble. Beneath this to right is small salting slab in slate, on stone base. More evidence for heightening of the main roof. Replacement machine-cut later C19 roof timbers, but hollows for earlier trusses visible. Slate flags to floor. Upper floor, main building, has boarded internal walls, largely collapsed, perhaps of the early C19. Similar roof structure to No 1, with pegged truss frames, possibly re-used ship timbers, bearing carpenter’s marks. Rough hewn purlins.
Mid-C19 former lean-to stable against Castle Green wall to rear. Single storey in rubble stone, now roofless, with doorway and flanking casement windows with heads to eaves to west. Extremely decayed.
By 2007 the property had been significantly altered:
Colourwashed stone with rebuilt stone stacks and slate roof. Re-instated panelled timber door to ground floor centre flanked by 12-pane sashes. 6-pane eaves-breaking sashes to upper storey. Outshut rear now roofed over as one unit with timber door to rear and small timber casement windows. Interior now open-plan with galleried upper storey. Beams and slate flags retained, together with fireplaces.
Lean-to colour-washed rubble stable now with boarded timber door to centre flanked by 4-pane casements; slate roof.
Sources: [see also ‘1 Green Street’]:
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Pigot’s Directory 1844
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1873; 1882; 1889; 1898-1900; 1905; 1908; 1913-14; 1918; 1920-21; 1927-28; 1942; 1956; 1962
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884
Auction Poster – John Francis 29/06/1882
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Cardigan Observer 1889; 1896
Cardigan Electoral Register 1918
Annual Report – Tabernacle 1924.
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 09/06/2013