No. 20 is marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In June 1866-71 Thomas Griffiths, general accountant & auctioneer, traded here. On 27th August 1866 Margaret Scovell Griffiths, daughter of Thomas & Anna Maria Griffiths, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Thomas Griffiths, 39, master mariner; Hannah Griffiths, 42, his wife; Mary Anne Jane Griffiths, 13, their daughter; and Anne Richards, 19, servant. Launcelot Lowther, Insurance Agent & public accountant, and his wife Elizabeth Lowther, had moved here by 1873. On 1st January 1873 their daughter, Laura Sophia Lowther, was born. They left on 29th September 1876 for No. 36 St. Mary Street. ‘The Cardigan Steam Navigation Company’ had an office here in February 1876 but had moved to Cambrian Quay by May. In October 1876-77 Mr. J. W. Meyler, land agent & surveyor, traded here. On 28th December 1876 Mrs. Griffiths of No. 20 married Jeremiah Stephens of Cnwce, Cilgerran.
In 1884-91 William Joseph, vestry clerk, lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William Joseph, 54, accountant; Hannah Joseph, 52, his wife; Sarah E. Joseph, 17, their daughter, dress-maker; David H. Joseph, 15, son; and Margaretta Joseph, 18, daughter.
In 1895-1908 John Conwyson Roberts lived here. On 21st December 1898 Mrs. Elizabeth Davies, widow of Captain Benjamin Davies, master of the ‘Fame’, died at Conway House – the home of her niece – at the age of 88. In 1901 the following persons lived here: John Conwyson Roberts, 60, printer & publisher (b. Conwy); Elizabeth M. Roberts, 62, his wife (b. Cardigan); Mary Roberts, 24, their daughter, music teacher (b. Cardigan); and David O. Conwyson Roberts, 21, printer compositior (b. Cardigan). All were bilingual. On 3rd November 1908 John Conwyson Roberts of Quay Street died aged 68.
On 6th May 1913 Annie Florence Wood of No. 20 was born, the daughter of Leonard Joseph Wood and Annie Bessie Wood. On 17th November 1917 a daughter was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Leonard Joseph Wood. On 28th November 1919 another daughter was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Leonard J. Wood.
In 1920-26 Mr. J. Griffiths lived here. On 5th August 1920 a son was born at Belmont House to Mr. & Mrs. J. Griffiths. On 7th April 1922 a son, Douglas Philip Griffiths, was born here to Mr. & Mrs. J. Griffiths. He died on 12th June 1922. On 8th July 1924 Hannah Jones of No. 20 died aged 70. On 13th July 1926 Jacob Griffiths of Conway House, 31, an agent for the Prudential, died tragically, leaving a widow and son. In 1926-40 Mrs. Griffiths lived at Conway House. In 1938 Mrs. J. Griffiths, Leonard Griffiths and Mrs. Hopkins lived here. In 1940 Mrs. Griffiths and Miss Collings lived here and Mrs. C. Williams lived at No. 20a. In January 1941 Mr. B. Davies lived at Conway House. By May 1946 L. T. Griffiths of No. 20 was home after serving in the army. In 1955 Leah Griffiths and Eileen Price lived at No. 20 and Mabel C. Williams lived at No. 20a.
In November 1956 No. 20A was advertised for sale with 4 bedrooms. In December 1956 No. 20A was sold. In April 1963 No. 20a was advertised for sale with 2 bedrooms. In December 1967 No. 20 and No. 20a – both 2-bedroom properties, were advertised for sale separately. In 1969 Mrs. Griffiths lived here. On 6th January 1973 a daughter was born to Jan & Brian Thomas of No. 20. On 29th March 1974 No. 20, including a dental practice, was advertised for sale. In February 1975 Leah Griffiths, widow of Jack Griffiths of No. 20, died.
In the early 1980’s, Mr. Brown had a dental surgery here. In 1985 Mrs. Brown lived here. Nos. 20, 20A & 21 were ‘listed’ in 1992. In July 1994 No. 20A Quay Street was advertised for sale as a 2-bedroom house. In May 1995 planning permission was sought to replace the rear roof and guttering. In January 1996 permission was granted to re-roof No. 20A. No. 20 was vacant and advertised for sale in 2001.
Nos. 20, 20A and No 21 were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early to mid C19 row of 3 houses, stuccoed with slate roofs and stone or brick stacks. Three-storeys, No 20 2-window, the other 2 one-window. Originally 9-pane sashes to second floor, 12-pane to first floor, but on No 20 the upper windows are altered and on No 20A both first and second floor windows are changed. Ground floor of No 20 has canted bay with column angles and hipped metal roof, then pair of recessed doors with overlights, 4 slate steps up, then No 20A has C20 broad opening with door in glazed surround; No 21 has 6-panel door with overlight and earlier C19 canted bay of 4-12-4 pane sashes, flat roofed. Bays to No 20 and No 21 have basement lights beneath sills, No 20A has basement light to left of entry…”
ADDITIONAL (2001) – The interior of No. 20 is largely altered, but retaining an early C19 staircase and one good first floor timber fireplace and window recess panels. There is a spacious cellar with stone vaulted side chambers and stone voussoirs to openings. Slate flag floor. The cellar may be C18, and predate the rest of the building.
ADDITIONAL (2007) – No. 20A has sash windows installed to upper storeys and timber marginal glazing flanking panelled front door
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1866; 1876; 1998; 1908; 1917; 1919-20; 1923-27; 1938; 1940-41
1946; 1956; 1963; 1967; 1973; 1975
Cardigan Observer 1877
Post Office Directory 1871
Hope Chapel Records
Letter – Cardigan Steam Navigation Co. 10/02/1876
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895
Census Returns 1871; 1891; 1901
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938; 31/12/1969; 31/12/1985
Electoral Register 1955; 1998
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Caring For Cardigan 1998
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 16/06/2013