The name means ‘Castle House’. In 1828-55 Joshua Morgan Thomas, grocer & draper, son of the Rev. Timothy Thomas of Aberduar, lived and traded here. His brother was another Rev. Timothy Thomas of Newcastle Emlyn. Prior to coming to Cardigan, he had kept a school at Nefyn, Caernarfonshire. From 1827-32 Joshua Morgan Thomas, a staunch Baptist, edited ‘Greal y Bedyddwyr’, a Baptist magazine begun in Cardigan, which moved to Cardiff in 1833. On 25th November 1828 Joshua Morgan Thomas married widow Mary Davies. The building is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1834-39 Joshua Morgan Thomas owned shares in the ship ‘Ardent’, 63 tons. In 1835-42 Joshua Morgan Thomas was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1837 Joshua Morgan Thomas owned shares in the ship ‘Expedition’, 37 tons. In 1838-39 Griffith Jenkins may also have lived here as may Lewis Jones, schoolmaster. In 1841 the occupants were: Mary Thomas, 30, baker; John Thomas, 5; and in a separate unit: Joseph Higgon, 30; Maria Higgon; Griffith Jenkins, 70, plasterer, and Elizabeth Jenkins, 30. This was the location of Joshua Morgan Thomas’ school in 1844-52. In 1851 the occupants were:- Joshua Morgan Thomas, 57, schoolmaster; Mary Thomas, 56, his wife; and Ann Lodwick, 21, house servant. On February 19th 1855 Joshua Morgan Thomas, Deacon of Bethania Baptist Chapel, William Street, died aged 60.
In 1855-71 Mary Thomas, widow of Joshua Morgan Thomas, lived here. In 1861 Mary Thomas, 67, widow, lived here. In 1861-88 No. 3 was the office of Asa Johnes Evans, solicitor, of Penalltcadwgan, Cilgerran. By December 2nd 1870 he had been elected a member of the new Cardigan School Board. In 1871 Mary Thomas, widow, 67 and Eleanor Davies, servant, 24, lived here. On 9th November 1875 Asa Johnes Evans became the Mayor of Cardigan. He was re-elected Mayor in 1876. Ivor Evans of Penalltcadwgan, Cilgerran, son of Asa Johnes Evans, was also a solicitor here in 1876-1914. In 1878 Ivor Evans of No. 3, solicitor, owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. On 19th April 1883 Miss Evangeline Evans, daughter of Asa J. Evans, married Thomas Morris of Broyan Mill, Llantood and Broyan House, Priory Street, Cardigan. On 21st March 1888 Asa Johnes Evans died aged 77.
In 1891 the following persons lived here: Jane Timothy, 47, servant; Sarah Jane Timothy, 22, daughter, dress-maker; Mary Timothy, 19, daughter; and David Timothy, 14, son. In 1891 James Stephens went into partnership with Ivor Evans. In 1891-1914 Ivor Evans & James Stephens, solicitors, traded here. In 1891 Ivor Evans stood as a candidate in the Cardigan Municipal Election. On 9th November 1894 Ivor Evans was elected Mayor of Cardigan. James Stephens was also the clerk to the Cardigan Intermediate School. Ivor Evans was a solicitor, commissioner for oaths, clerk to the School Board and Coroner for the Upper Division of Pembrokeshire. In 1901 the following persons lived at the 4 room property: Jane Timothy, 56, widow; Sarah Jane Timothy, 30, her daughter, dress-maker; and Mary Timothy, 28, daughter, dress-maker. All were born in Cardigan and bilingual. On 10th September 1907 Miss Kate Timothy, youngest daughter of Mrs. Jane Timothy of No 3, married Arthur Beetham of Cambridge. In 1908 Ivor Evans became a J. P.. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Jane Timothy, 69, widow; Sarah Jane Timothy, 40, her daughter, a dress-maker; and Mary Timothy, 38, daughter, dress-maker. On 9th November 1911 Ivor Evans became the Mayor of Cardigan. On 10th January 1914 James Stephens retired as Ivor Evans’ business partner. On 4th November 1914 Ivor Evans died aged 65. Williams & Williams took over the solicitor’s business the same month.
In 1914-39 Williams & Williams, solicitors, traded here. In 1918 David and Sarah Davies lived here. Alfred Benjamin Williams was one of the partners, Walter L. Williams was a second, Hugh Llwyd Harries Williams was the other. On 6th November 1918 Evelyn Mary Cox, daughter of M. H. Cox of No. 3 Green Street, died aged 6 months. In 1923-35 Mr. & Mrs. G. J. Morgan lived here. In March 1927, following the death of her husband, Mrs. Annie Davies, mother of Mrs. G. J. Morgan, moved here to live. On 4th November 1929 Mrs. Annie Davies, widow of cattle dealer David John Davies of Brynteg, Rock Terrace, Quay Street, died here at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. G. J. Morgan, at the age of 74. At that time the following persons lived here: Mr. & Mrs. G. J. Morgan, and their sons – Messrs. John Ivor Morgan and Hugh Meiron Morgan. On 30th June 1935 John Ivor Morgan, son of Mr. & Mrs. G. J. Morgan, married Miss Lily Teifi Morris of No. 37 High Street. In 1936 Mrs. Ivor Morgan lived here. In 1937 Mrs. Llwyd Williams lived here. On 27th January 1940 Mrs. Morgan, late of No. 3, died aged 65. In October 1940 Mary Woolam lived here. In June 1941 Daniel Owen Rees occupied No. 3. In October 1944 Walter Levi Williams and Hugh Llwyd Harries Williams of No. 3 were declared bankrupt.
In 1945 W. J. Phillips Williams solicitors traded here. H. Llwyd H. Williams, solicitor, was still trading here in 1950-55. In June 1967 the property was for sale. On 2nd October 1967 the ‘Halifax Building Society’ moved to the offices of ‘Pritchard & Co.’, accountants, at this address. In 1970 this was the office of ‘Pritchard, Griffiths & Co.’, accountants, and ‘Halifax Building Society’. On 16th March 1973, 17th October 1975 and 2nd March 1979 the building was advertised for sale, comprising: Hallway; Front Reception Room; Kitchen; Dining Room; Living Room; 4 double bedrooms; bathroom; and two stores in the yard to the rear. In March 1974 Edward John Champion Streatfield lived here as a tenant. By 26th September 1979 planning permission was being sought by W. Davies and Michael Hopkins to turn the basement into a fish & chip shop. In 1990 Peter and Janet Evans ran the fish and chip shop. The house became a listed building in 1992. ‘Quick Chip’ fish & chip shop still traded in 1993-2007.
By 1995 No. 3 had passed to Arno Osinga. Later in 1995 he was granted planning permission for reinstating sash windows and other features removed in the 1980’s refurbishment. Arno & Tracey Osinga lived here in 1998-2002. There was a minor fire at the chip shop on June 11th 1999. The property was leased to tenants in 2003. It was advertised for sale in July 2005. The Cadwgan Building Preservation Trust acquired it under the auspices of a new trust called ‘The Cardigan Castle Trust’ in September 2008. Work began on replacing the roof covering, repointing and internal works in November 2008. The basement shop was advertised to let in early 2010. In 2010 ‘Flower Pot’ moved to the basement shop and traded here in 2010-11, and Welsh classes were held on the ground floor. ‘Flower Pot’ closed in 2011. In 2011-13 the building was used for classes and meetings. In June 2013 the rear range was demolished for the building of a new restaurant.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early to mid C19 house in blue lias rubble stone with slate eaves roof and brick end stacks. Two storeys with full height basement to west and rear. Three-window range of C20 plate glass windows replacing sashes, slate sills, timber lintels to upper windows, cambered stone heads below, also to centre doorway. Modern door. Timber deep eaves cornice with mutules. Rear wall stuccoed with C20 windows and C20 rear addition…”
By 2007 the façade had new plate-glass sashes and large aluminium vent-pipe to right end. In 2008 12-pane sashes and a panelled door and door-case were installed to the facade, and the vent-pipe was removed. Rear range demolished June 2013.
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Pigot’s Directory 1830; 1844
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901; 1911
Slater’s Directory 1850; 1852; 1868
Probate of the Will of John Rees, Glanymor, St. Dogmaels 1861
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1870; 1875-76; 1883; 1888; 1893-94; 1899; 1904; 1907-08; 1911-12; 1914-19; 1922-25; 1929; 1934-41; 1944-45; 1967; 1970; 1973-75; 1979; 1999; 2006; 2008
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
Memorial Card – Mary Evans 06/11/1885
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Ballot Paper – Cardigan Municipal Election 1891
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1918; 1998
Annual Report – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1924
Bethania, R Edwards, 1947
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950, 1955
Programme – Cardigan Fat Stock & Poultry Show 1990
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The 1993 Guide to Cardigan
The Cardigan Guide 1994
Cardigan Annual Show Catalogue 29/07/1998; 28/07/1999.
(c) Glen K Johnson 10/06/2013