• No. 31 & 32 PENDRE

    by  • September 3, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, House, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    Site Name: No. 31 PENDRE.

     History:

    In 1871 the following persons lived here: William Evans, 63, omnibus guard, and his wife, Anne Evans, 68. By 15th March 1871 No. 31 was the Glass & Paper-hanging warehouse of Owen Beynon Evans. In 1878 Owen Beynon Evans became a Deacon of Capel Mair Congregational chapel, Feidrfair, like his father, Daniel Beynon Evans. He still traded here in 1880-84. No. 31 is marked on the 1887 O. S. map. On 9th November 1889 Owen Beynon Evans became the Mayor of Cardigan. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Mary Francis, 38, domestic worker; Martha Francis, 45, her sister; and Mary Elizabeth Francis, 8, her daughter. In 1901 the following persons lived at the 4 room property: John James, 39, butcher (b. St. Dogmaels, bilingual); Mary Hannah James, 37, his wife, bilingual; David Henry James, 8, their son; Mary Jane James, 6, daughter; and Mabel Gertrude James, 4, daughter. Except where noted otherwise, all were born in Cardigan and Welsh-speaking. In 1901-11 John James lived here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: John James, 49, butcher; Mary Hannah James, 47, his wife; William Morgan James, 20, cabinet-maker; David Henry James, 18, son; Mary Jane James, 16, daughter; and Mabel Gertrude James, 14, daughter.

    In 1914-39 this was the shop of William Carpenter, baker. On 26th September 1939 William Carpenter died aged 57, leaving a widow, Jane Carpenter, and a son, David Carpenter. This was the home of Jane Carpenter in 1938-51. On 12th November 1951 Mrs. Jane Carpenter died aged 75. David Carpenter may have lived here in 1952. Nos. 31 & 32 Pendre were sold by auction on 2nd February 1953. No 31 was then described as stone built and slate roofed with two rooms and a store downstairs and two bedrooms above. No. 31 was demolished and replaced. On 26th April 1964 it was sold to ‘Mapstone’s’ of No. 6 Priory Street. In 1964-79 this was ‘Mapstone’s’ newsagent’s & grocer’s shop. On 6th July 1979 ‘Mapstones’ was advertised for sale.

    The shop still traded as ‘Mapstone’s’ in 1980-2001. In August 2000 the building was advertised for sale. The shop closed in January 2001 and was still advertised for sale. In 2001 a bathroom showroom opened here. A major refurbishment was under way early in 2004 and completed by the summer. ‘Discount Bathrooms of Cardigan’ traded here in 2001-09. In 2009 they moved to the Strand. A new hair salon called ‘Salon K 27′ opened here in 2010.

    Description:

    None available

    Sources:

    Census Returns 1871; 1891; 1901; 1911

    Kelly’s 1884; 1914; 1926

    O. S. Map 1887 etc.

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1889; 1894; 1927; 1936; 1951; 1953; 1964-65; 1967-70; 1974; 1979-80; 2000

    List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910

    Register of Electors 1938

    Annual Report – Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan 1952

    Planning Decision – 31/32 Pendre 19/02/1988

    Site Name: No. 32 PENDRE.

    History:

    In 1871 the following persons lived here: Elizabeth Thomas, 44, mariner’s wife; James Thomas, 20, her son; Ellen Thomas, 15, daughter; Elizabeth Thomas, 11, daughter; and David Thomas, 8, son. No. 32 can be seen in the 1887 O. S. map. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Dinah Griffiths, 52, stationer; Catherine Griffiths, 23, her daughter, dress-maker; Mary Jane Griffiths, 18, daughter; Thomas Owen Griffiths, 15, son; Dinah Griffiths, 13, daughter; and James Alban Griffiths, 8, son. In 1901 the following persons occupied the 3 room property: Benjamin Davies, 41, merchant seaman (b. Cardigan); Rebecca Davies, 42, his wife (b. Pembrokeshire); and their son David Davies, 18, merchant seaman (b. Cardigan). All were Welsh-speaking. In 1910 Griffith Davies lived here. In 1911-15 this was ‘Pendre Boot Stores’, run by David Roberts. He died on 8th October 1917. In 1920-37 Thomas Davies lived here. In 1923 Mr. & Mrs. Davies and Miss Olwen Davies lived here. In 1926-37 this was the premises of Thomas Davies, sewing machine agent, and Mrs. Davies also lived here. In 1938 No. 32 was occupied by Sarah Olwen Griffiths, though reference was made elsewhere to Mrs. Davies of No. 32. On 2nd February 1953 Nos. 31 & 32 were offered for sale. No. 32 was described as stone built and slate roofed, with entrance passage, two rooms and coal store on the ground floor, with three bedrooms and bathroom above. The building was later demolished, together with No 31, and was rebuilt as ‘No 31/32’.

    Description:

    None available

    Sources:

    Census Returns 1871; 1891; 1901

    O. S. Map 1887 etc.

    List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910

    Bill-heads, 1911; 1915 (Cardigan Heritage Centre)

    Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1938

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1911; 1918; 1920-21; 1923; 1927; 1932-34; 1937-38; 1953.

    © Glen K Johnson 03/09/2013

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *