• No. 35 & 36 PENDRE – PENDRE ART

    by  • September 5, 2013 • Cardigan, Ceredigion, Modern, Period, Post-Medieval, Shop, Site Type • 0 Comments

    Site Name: No. 35 PENDRE.

     History:

    In 1841-81 John Davies lived here. In 1841 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 50, shipwright; Elizabeth Davies, 45, his wife; Ann Davies, 15, their daughter; Elizabeth Davies, 12, daughter; and John Davies, 6, son. In 1851 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 61, ship’s carpenter; Mary Davies, 30, his daughter, baker; and John Davies, 16, son, block-maker. In 1861 John Davies, 67, ship’s carpenter, lived here with his daughters Mary Davies, 35, baker, and Sarah Davies, 30. In 1868 Mary Davies ran a baker’s shop here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 83, widower, retired shipwright and his daughter, Mary Davies, 40, baker. In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Davies, 96, retired shipwright; Mary Davies, 55, daughter, baker; and Sarah Davies, 78, sister-in-law. The property can be seen in the 1887 O. S. map.

    In 1891 Martha Williams, 53, mariner’s wife, lived here with Mary Ann John, 30, her daughter, a dress-maker. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Owen, 53, general labourer (b. Nevern); Martha Owen, 52, his wife; Margaret Owen, 26, their daughter; Martha Owen, 17, daughter, dress-maker; Willie Owen, 13, son, draper’s apprentice; and Frances Owen, 11, daughter, scholar. Except where noted otherwise, all were Welsh-speaking and born at Newport. On 23rd April 1902 Frank Williams, butcher, married Miss Margaret Owen of No. 35, where he traded for a

    Bill head of F Williams, No. 35 Pendre, 06/01/1903 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    Bill head of F Williams, No. 35 Pendre, 06/01/1903 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    time. In 1903 this was the shop of F. Williams, family butcher. In February 1911 No. 35 was advertised for sale with William Owen as yearly tenant. It was sold to Mrs. Reynolds of Bingham Terrace, draper, for £190. In 1911 the following persons lived here: William Owen, 60, carter at brewery; Martha Owen, 59, his wife; Ifor Williams, 9, their grandson. On 15th August 1911 Miss Martha A. Owens, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William Owens of No 35, married David T. Price of Pontgwaith. On 19th March 1920 No. 35, occupied by W. Owen, was sold by auction. On 5th August 1921 No. 35 was advertised for sale.

    In April 1928 the plot was advertised for sale for redevelopment. Together with No. 36 Pendre, it was later demolished for a Post Office depot, later ‘Imperial Mall’. Plans for the mall were unveiled in August 1994 – 22 shop units and a patisserie. It opened in 1995. In 2003 ‘Curiosity Corner’, ‘Funky Monkey’ and ‘Mandy’s Mega Baguettes’ were trading here. In July 2005 the entire property became Pendre Arts Centre.

    Description:

    None available

    Sources:

    Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911

    Slater’s Directory 1868

    O. S. Map 1887 etc.

    Bill-head – F Williams, 35 Pendre 06/01/1903

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1902; 1911; 1920-21; 1928; 1994-96; 2006

    Site Name: No. 36 PENDRE.

    History:

    In 1841-71 the Jones family lived here. In 1841 the following persons lived here: Jonathan Jones, 50, shoemaker; Mary Jones, 55, his wife; and Sarah Jones, 20, their daughter. In 1851 the following persons lived here: John Jones, 40, mariner; Mary Jones, 31, his wife; Martha Jones, 3, their daughter; Mary Jones, 10 months, daughter; and Jonathan Jones, 59, father, shoemaker. In 1852 Anne Jones was born here. In 1855 Thomas Jones was born here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Mary Jones, 43, sailor’s wife; Martha Jones, 13, her daughter; Mary Jones, 11, daughter; Anne Jones, 9, daughter; and Thomas Jones, 6, son. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Mary Jones, 52, mariner’s wife; Anne Jones, 19, her daughter; and Thomas Jones, 16, son. In a separate unit at No. 36 lived Anne Jones, dressmaker.

    No. 36 is marked on the 1887 O. S. map. In 1891 James Lewis, 24, coach-builder, lived here with his wife Mary Anne Lewis, 25. In 1895 Caleb Luke, hosier, kept a shop here. On 18th January 1895 William Daniel Luke, son of Caleb & Maria Luke, died aged 5 months. On 4th November 1895 a daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. Caleb Luke, woollen manufacturer. On 11th March 1900 a son, Thomas W. Griffiths, was born to Mr. & Mrs. John L. Griffiths of Griffiths & Sons, grocers, Pendre. In 1901 the following persons lived here: John L. Griffiths, 30, grocer’s assistant (b. Newport, Welsh-speaking); Elizabeth Griffiths, 29, his wife (b. St. Dogmaels, Welsh-speaking); Elizabeth Irene Griffiths, 2, their daughter (b. Cardigan); and Thomas W. Griffiths, 1, son (b. Cardigan). In 1904-12, this was the premises of James Davies, cabinet-maker & undertaker. On 11th December 1904 a son was born to the wife of James Davies, cabinet-maker. In February 1911 No. 36 was advertised for sale, with James Davies as yearly tenant. It was sold to Mrs. Reynolds of Bingham Terrace, draper, for £120. In 1911 the following persons lived here: James Davies, 46, cabinet-maker; Ellen Davies, 46, his wife; Gwilym Davies, 13, son; John Alban Davies, 9, son; Jackie Davies, 6, son; and George James Daies, 4, son.

    On 27th November 1914 Daniel Owen Thomas of No 36 died aged 34. On 19th March 1920 No. 36, occupied by Miss Ellen Jones, was sold by auction. On 22nd February 1921 Mary Jones, daughter of the late David Jones (a ship-builder at Netpool), died here. On 5th August 1921 No. 36 was advertised for sale. In April 1928 it was advertised for sale as a building plot. No. 36 was later demolished, together with No. 35 Pendre, for a Post Office depot. It became ‘Imperial Mall’, plans for which were unveiled in August 1994. It opened in 1995. In July 2005 it became Pendre Arts Centre.

    Description:

    None available

    Sources:

    Census Returns: 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901; 1911

    O. S. Map 1887 etc.

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895

    List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910

    Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1895; 1900; 1904; 1911; 1914; 1920-21; 1928; 1994-96; 2006.

    © Glen K Johnson 05/09/2013

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *