This may have been the property of Major Bowen in 1830-34. This large corner building was marked on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan, probably the property of Major Bowen. In the late 1840’s Mr. Jones kept a chemist’s shop here. Circa 1850 this was Mr Barnasconi’s china, glass and fancy goods warehouse. He was a Swiss gentleman. Ca 1850 Henry Daniel Davies, woollen manufacturer, used the upper floors. The property seems to have been non-residential from this date.
In 1852-68 Richard David Jenkins, of Pantirion, St. Dogmaels and the Priory, Cardigan, had a solicitor’s office on the upper floors here. The building can be seen in an 1853 illustration by Rock & Co. In 1868-71 Miss Margaret Thomas, milliner, kept a shop here on the ground floor. In 1868-84 this was the office of William Picton Evans & Richard David Jenkins, solicitors. In 1884 they sold Royal Farmers Insurance and Provident Life Insurance. In 1891-1914 R. William Picton Evans still traded here at the solicitor’s office of ‘Jenkins & Evans’. In 1891-1954 this was the County Court Office. In 1895 William Picton Evans was acting as Clerk to the Commissioners of Income Tax. In 1914 Thomas Lewis, clerk to the magistrates, occupied the County Court Office. In September 1914 R. William Picton Evans, Mayor of Cardigan, left Cardigan for active service in the War. He died abroad in 1918.
In 1919 John Owen occupied the building. Messrs. Sim Evans, auctioneers, traded here in 1921-25. Sim Evans moved to No. 38 High Street in April 1925. In 1926 Thomas Lewis had an office here, as did John Owen, estate agent and secretary of the local lifeboat. In October 1930 the property was advertised for sale together with No. 36 High Street.
In March 1932 B. Joshua moved his office to the first floor. In 1932-54 ‘Joshua, Son & Jones, accountants, traded here. In 1943 B. Joshua was the Honorary Secretary of the local Red Cross. In June 1949 E. F. Hayward, piano tuner, traded at the shop here. In 1950-55 the property was occupied by ‘Abbey National Building Society’, the County Court Office and Joshua, Son & Jones, accountants. On 22nd May 1964 the property was advertised to let on a long lease.
In 1964 Joseph Elgan Jones, formerly of No. 23 Pendre, operated a chemist’s shop here where he traded in 1964-83. In 1986-89 ‘Sanders’ Fashion & Leisurewear’ traded here. The property was ‘listed’ in 1992. By March 1994 “Copperfields” florists had opened a shop here. In 1997 it was occupied by ‘Caspar’s’. From December 1997 it was ‘Nicola’s Fashions’. On 18th July 1998 and March 2000 the property was advertised for sale. In 2002 the ‘Famous £ Shop’ was located here, but moved to No. 39 High Street in October 2002. In June 2004 the dividing wall between Gloucester House and this property was breached, and it became a part of Fedwen Bakery until 2008. In October 2008 the shop was vacated and the connecting door blocked again. In the summer of 2009 ‘A Bay to Remember’ boat trips were based here, run by Tony & Amanda Barber. In October 2009 ‘Mundos’ gift shop opened here and traded here in 2009-10. They moved to No. 12 Pendre in November 2010. In 2010 the shop was advertised for sale again. In 2011 this became a manicure boutique called ‘J’s Nails‘.
The building, together with No 36, was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Later [Earlier?] C19 pair of houses with shops, stucco with slate roofs and big red brick cross-axial stack. Three storeys and attic, 2-window range to each street and recessed curved one-window north west angle. Flat bracketed eaves and similar broad pediments each façade with paired 4-pane sashes. Second floor 9-pane sashes and first floor 12-pane sashes with slate sills and moulded stucco hoods. Windows on curved corner are curved. Band between floors. Ground floor has two shopwindows each façade, plate glass with rusticated jambs. Band above. High Street has door to No 36 to right, with overlight. Corner has recessed double doors and overlight. Saint Mary’s Street front has fine 6-panel door to left with big traceried overlight and corniced doorcase with fluted pilasters and panelled reveals. One additional 12-pane sash to first floor over door.
Glazing bar sashes to first and second floor of No 36 have been replaced in aluminium, the rest are unaltered…”
Pigot’s Directory 1830
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Illustration – Cardigan High St, Rock & Co 1853
Slater’s Directory 1852; 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Census Returns 1881; 1891
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923
Letter-head – Sim Evans, 52 St Mary St. 03/09/1932;
Post Office Telephone Directory 1940; 1950, 1953-55
Letter-head – Joshua, Son & Lloyd, 52 St Mary St. 06/06/1953;
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod 1976
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893; 1899; 1914; 1919; 1922-25; 1930; 1932; 1936; 1939-40; 1943; 1949; 1964; 1966; 1969; 1974; 1980; 1986; 1994; 1997; 2002
Programme – Cardigan Civic Festival 1986
The Cardigan Guide 1989
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Advert – Nicola’s Fashions, December 1997
Caring For Cardigan 1998
The Official Cardigan Guide 1998
Sale Particulars – 52 St Mary St, JJ Morris 18/07/1998.
© Glen K Johnson 25/03/2013