Surviving walling in the cellar may be evidence for the presence of two mediaeval burgage plots. The present building may have been erected following complaints made in 1760 about the conditions of the Assize Judge’s quarters in the town, to serve as the lodgings for the visiting judges. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. William Lane Noott moved here in 1836. In 1836-76 Dr. William Lane Noott lived and kept a surgery here. On 5th November 1836 William Lane Noott was granted a license to marry Matilda Mathias. In 1837 Mary Elizabeth (“May”) Noott was born here. In 1838-42 Dr. William Lane Noott, surgeon, was a burgess of Cardigan. On 8th October 1838 Matilda Ellen Lane Noott, recently-born daughter of Dr. William L. Noott and Matilda Noott, was christened at St. Mary’s Church. In 1839 William Lane Noott was appointed doctor for the Cardigan Poor Law Union. In 1840-41 Sarah Griffiths was a servant to Dr. W. L. Noott. In 1841 Caroline Noott was born here. The following persons lived here in 1841: William Lane Noott, 30, surgeon; Matilda Noott, 25, his wife; May Noott, 5, their daughter; Matilda Noott, 2, daughter; Caroline Noott, 3 days, daughter; Elizabeth Lloyd, 30, independent; and 4 servants – Margaret Jones, 50; Sarah Griffiths, 30; Catherine Owens, 30; and Daniel Rees, 25. In 1848 William Mathias Noott was born here.
In 1850 Emily A. Noott was born here. In 1851 No. 37 was occupied by William Lane Noott, 45, General Practitioner, M. R. C. S. L.; Matilda Noott, 35, his wife; their daughters – Mary Elizabeth Noott, 13; Matilda Ellen Noott, 12; Caroline M. Noott, 9, and Emily A. Noott, 5 months; their son – William Mathias Noott, 3; Griffith R. Jenkins, 16, Medical pupil; John Davies, 21, lab servant; Margaret Bowen, 29, cook; Ann Price, 22, servant; and Maria James, 26, nurse maid. In 1853 Ada Evelina Noott was born here. In 1856 Edith Gwendoline Noott was born here. In 1860 Frances Maria Noott was born here. In 1861 No. 37 was home to William Lane Noott, 55, Mary Elizabeth Noott, 22, his daughter; Emily A. Noott, 10, daughter; Ada Evelina Noott, 8, daughter; Edith Gwendoline Noott, 5, daughter; Frances Maria Noott, 1, daughter; Maria James, 34, nurse-maid; Mary Johnson, 26, cook; Eliza Griffiths, 25, house-maid; Mary Bates, 19, visitor; and Joshua Lewis, 13, groom. On 25th July 1862 Mary Elizabeth Noott was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 24. On 15th January 1863 Matilda Ellen Lane Noott, daughter of Dr. William Lane Noott, married William Henry Haden, iron-master of Worcestershire. On 23rd April 1863 Emily Anna Noott was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 12. On 9th November 1864 William Lane Noott became the Mayor of Cardigan. On 28th August 1866 Caroline Maria Noott, daughter of William Lane Noott, married surgeon Alfred Jones of Stafford. William Lane Noott was elected Mayor again on 9th November 1866.
The following persons lived here in 1871: William Lane Noott, 64, apothecary & surgeon; Matilda Noott, 54, his wife; Matilda Ellen Haden, 33, their daughter; William Mathias Noott, 23, son; Ada Evelina Noott, 19, daughter; Edith Gwendoline Noott, 14, daughter; Fanny Maria Noott, 11, daughter; Mary Caroline Haden, 4, grand-daughter; Emily Haden, 11 months, grand-daughter; 3 visitors and 4 servants. In 1875 William Lane Noott and William Mathias Noott both lived here and worked as surgeons. On 12th January 1876 Dr. William Lane Noott died aged 71. His widow, Matilda Noott, died on 10th March 1879 aged 68. In August 1879 No. 37 was advertised to let, still a lodge for the local Assize Judges.
In 1881 Henry Curtis Noott, 30, G. P., lived here with his sister Mary Noott, 21, and Margaret Owens, 44, general servant. The property, called “The Judges’ Lodgings”, was sold by auction on 29th June 1882. Henry Curtis Noott was the tenant until his death on 4th November 1882, aged 32. In 1882 the rent was £45 per annum. The property contained hall, dining room, surgery, kitchen, scullery, drawing room, seven bedrooms and dressing rooms, attic and w c. In 1884-1910 Charles Griffith Jones, surgeon & medical officer, lived here. In 1891 Charles Griffith Jones, 47, surgeon, lived here with his wife Emma Jones, 37; Sarah Anne Davies, 20, housemaid; Sarah Thomas, 23, cook; and Benjamin Davies, 26, groom. In 1899 J. Williams of Felingynllo carried out building work here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Charles Griffith Jones, 53, medical practitioner (b. Llangoedmor); Emma Jones, 48, his wife (b. Newcastle On Tyne, English-speaking); Mary Thomas, 62, hospital nurse (b. Cardigan); Willie Phillips, 21, groom (b. St. Dogmaels); Martha Morgan, 25, housemaid (b. Llangoedmor); and Ann Morgan, 20, cook (b. Cardigan). Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual. In June 1907 Emma Jones, wife of Charles Griffith Jones of No. 37 died aged 55. In May 1910 Charles Griffith Jones of No. 37 died aged 62. The property was sold by auction to Maurice Morris on 1st September 1910, consisting of:
“…GROUND FLOOR – Dining Room, Surgery, Waiting Room, Kitchen, Pantry, Scullery, Out-kitchen and w. c.; FIRST FLOOR – Drawing Room, 3 bedrooms and w. c.; SECOND FLOOR – 4 Bedrooms and Box Room; ATTIC- 3 rooms; Together with Basement, now used as Coal Cellar…”
In January 1911 Maurice Morris of No. 38 High Street was planning to alter the façade for use as his new shop. In 1911-49 Maurice Morris, tailor, lived and traded here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Maurice Morris, 49, tailor & outfitter; Martha E. Morris, 45, his wife; Mary Morris, 12, their daughter; Pattie E. Morris, 10, daughter; David B. Morris, 8, son; Evan B. Morris, 6, son; Lily J. Morris, 4, daughter; Ceridwen Morris, 8 months, daughter; William Morgan, 15, servant; and Dorothy Griffith, 14, servant. On 21st January 1917 Mrs. Morris died. In 1919 Maurice Morris was a juror. On 6th February 1921 Maurice Morris became a Deacon of Capel Mair Congregational Chapel, Feidrfair. In April 1933 Brindley Morris lived here. On 1st October 1934 Gwyn Morris, second son of Maurice Morris and the late Mrs. Morris, married Miss Hannah Evans of Rhydyfuwch. On 30th June 1935 Lily Teifi Morris, 3rd daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Maurice Morris, married John Ivor Morgan of No. 3 Green Street. On 29th September 1937 Brindley Morris, elder son of Maurice Morris, married Cissie Thomas of Llandysul. In November 1944 Brinley Morris lived here. In April 1948 Maurice Morris became a trustee of Capel Mair. On 15th November 1949 Maurice Morris died aged 87. In 1949-92 ‘M. Morris & Son’ continued trading here. In 1952 Miss P. Morris and Miss Ceridwen Morris lived here. In January 1963 Miss Jane Morgan of No. 37 married Geraint Jones of Y Rhos. In 1992 the building was ‘listed’. Ceridwen Morris, proprietor, died on 20th September 1992. The shop was advertised for sale in 1995.
No. 37 was sold in 2001 after a long period of vacancy. The shop was partially restored in 2001 for ‘Courtney’s’ bridal-wear shop. It traded as ‘Courtney’s’ in 2001-03. It was advertised for sale again in August 2003. In December 2003 ‘Eatonfield Holdings’ bought the property, which remained vacant again for some time. In October 2004 No. 37 was sold to April & Steve Greenhalgh. It traded as ‘Helm’s Deep’ from December 2004-March 2007. In August 2007 two new shop units opened here, occupied by Frame By Frame picture framers and Oojufink cyber-barbers. ‘Frame By Frame’ and ‘Oojufink’ traded here in 2007-10. In September 2008 the building was sold. ‘Frame By Frame’ closed on December 2nd 2010. ‘Oojufink’, under the management of Jay Bura and Esther Gaskell, continued trading here in 2010-13.
The property was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Late C18 or early C19 house, altered in later C19 as shop, stucco with slate roof and brick end stacks. Three storeys and attic, 3-window range but probably originally 5-window to match upper floor. Modillion eaves cornice. Two hipped dormers with 6-pane hornless sashes. Five 6-pane hornless sashes to second floor with rusticated stucco surrounds and sill band. First floor has centre plate glass sash in rusticated stucco surround and canted oriel each side, plate glass sashes, moulded cornices and metal-clad hipped roofs. Ground floor has house door to left, 6-panel with overlight, apparently once a window as rusticated jamb and sill course survive on left side. Rest of ground floor has fine late C19 plate glass shopfront with panelled piers, brackets and well-lettered fascia. Shopwindows have slim column shafts at angles to centre deep-set door…”
Additional observations (2001):
‘Morris’ written in floor mosaic at main shop entrance.
INTERIOR – Shop floor wholly altered. First floor has large reception room with probable later C18 timber fire surround and mantle with later C19 mirror above. Extensive survival of probable C18 stucco cornice. Service stair survives, probably C19, with stick banisters beneath ramped handrails and turned balusters to angles. Former main staircase was removed during later C19 alterations. Probable late C18 attic stair and fireplaces to attic rooms with stone voussoirs beneath timber lintels. Stone cellar with long rear passage, formerly three chambers, now all bar one back-filled. Rubble walling of possibly medieval origins and slate flag floor. Former coal chute to front wall. Building has later C19 and more modern extensions to rear.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Hope English Congregational Chapel Records
Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1844
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1867; 1876; 1879-80; 1882; 1893; 1896; 1899; 1902; 1904-07; 1911-25; 1927; 1933-41; 1944; 1948-49; 1963; 1967; 1980; 1992; 2007
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
Auction Poster – John Francis 29/06/1882
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Llangoedmor Parish Records
Programme – Tivy-Side Fanciers Association 15/01/1908
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912
Parish of St. Mary Jury List 1919
All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923
Treasurer’s Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Sale Particulars – Star Shop, 37 High St, J J Morris 1998
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 13/06/2013