No. 4 was erected in the C18. In 1821-44 Morgan Jenkins, draper, lived and traded here. Morgan Jenkins owned shares in the following Cardigan ships: ‘Mary’, 68 tons (1825), ‘Gleaner’, 97 tons (1825-36); ‘Velox’, 48 tons (1829-43); “Emerald”, 49 tons (1836); “Shannon”, 99 tons (1836); “Jane”, 97 tons (1838); “Sincerity”, 59 tons (1840); “Susan”, 151 tons (1840); and “Mary Joanna”, 118 tons, (1840). No. 4 is marked on J. Wood’s map of Cardigan of 1834 as the property of Morgan Jenkins. In 1835-42 Morgan Jenkins was a burgess of the town. In 1841 No. 4 was occupied by: Morgan Jenkins, 50, draper; Ann Jenkins, 50, his wife; George Jenkins, 20, their son; William Jenkins, 14, son; Morgan Jenkins, 10, son; James Jenkins, 7, son; and Eliza Jenkins, 7, daughter. In a separate unit lived: David Harries, 20, draper; Stephens, 20; David James, 20, draper’s apprentice; David Watkins, 20, draper; John Davies, 15, draper’s apprentice; Elizabeth Llewelyn, 20, servant; Hannah Evans, 20, servant; and Elizabeth Thomas, 15, servant. Morgan Jenkins had died by 1851, and his widow, Anne Jenkins, died before October 1851. His son, George Jenkins, also a draper, was then trading at No. 2 High Street. In 1851 the property was unoccupied.
In 1861-75 this was the home and pharmacy of James Seabourne Evans. In 1861 the occupants were: James Seabourne Evans, 45, chemist [formerly of No. 7 High Street]; Jane Evans, 35, his wife; Edward Evans, 9, their son; Mary Evans, 8, daughter; Kate Evans, 6, daughter; James William Evans, 4, son; Ann Eliza Evans, 2, daughter; and three servants – Anne Williams, 23; Margaret Lloyd, 23; and Ellen Jenkins, 16. In 1863 Helen Evans was born here. In 1868-75 James Seabourne Evans acted as an agent for ‘Sun’ Fire & Life insurance. In 1871 the following persons lived here: James Seaborn Evans, 55, chemist; Jane Evans, 47, his wife; James William Evans, 14, their son; Dora A Evans, 12, their daughter; Helen Evans, 8, another daughter; and 4 servants.
On 17th October 1871 the “National Provincial Bank of England” opened a branch here. Reuben Robert Storey was the manager in 1871-1901. Initially the bank paid £24 rent per annum. The bank traded here in 1871-2013. In 1873 Isabella Storey was born here. In 1874 Arthur Storey was born here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Reuben Robert Storey, 40, National Provincial Bank Manager; Marianne Posthuma Storey, 33, his wife; William H. Storey, 15, their son; Gwen Gertrude Storey, 14, daughter; Julia Storey, 11, daughter; Helena Storey, 10, daughter; Isabella Storey, 8, daughter; Arthur Storey, 7, son; and Ellen Griffiths, 24, domestic servant. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Reuben Robert Storey, 50, National Provincial Bank Manager; Marianne Posthuma Storey, 43, his wife; Isabella Storey, 18, their daughter; Arthur Storey, 17, son; and Mary Thomas, 29, servant. On 20th October 1894 Gerald F. Cripps of London married Helena Storey, 3rd daughter of Reuben Robert Storey, and Edward Dew of London married Gwen Gertrude Storey, eldest daughter of R. R. Storey. On 13th October 1895 Marianne Posthuma Storey, wife of R. R. Storey of the National Provincial Bank, died aged 48. Richard Davies was an employee here in 1901.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: Robert E. Jones, 45, National Provincial Bank manager (b. Denbighshire); Sarah Thomas, 35, housekeeper (b. Eglwyswrw); and Sarah A. Sallis, 12, domestic servant (b. Llandygwydd). All were bilingual. By 1902 Robert E. Jones of the bank was the secretary of the Cardigan Agricultural Show. In January 1903 Robert E. Jones was still the manager. In 1903 M. L. Jones became the manager and was manager in 1903-09. On 9th December 1909 M. L. Jones, the manager for 7 years, died. In 1910-24 David Thomas Davies, manager, was Treasurer of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In 1914 David Thomas Davies, the branch manager, lived upstairs. The bank purchased the building in 1917. In 1918 Mr. Richards, formerly of the Bank, was killed in action. In 1924 this was the “National Provincial Bank Ltd” branch – the bank’s name having been shortened to that form the same year. In October 1924 David Thomas Davies retired after 14 years as manager. In 1925-34 Lewis Oswald Jones of No. 4 was the Treasurer of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In 1925-44 Lewis Oswald Jones was the manager. In February 1940 Mr. J. V. Jones of No. 4 was serving in the merchant navy. On 31st October 1944 Lewis Oswald John retired as manager and was succeeded by D. Ifor Thomas. E. Jenkins lived here in 1949-52. Mary Jones lived here in 1952-55. In 1955 Margaret Eluned Jenkins lived here. On 18th February 1955 Mrs. Mary Jones, widow of William Jones of Newport, died aged 81. In December 1966 Mr. J. G. Roberts retired as manager and was succeeded as manager by David H. Davies. In October 1967 D. H. Davies was the manager.
In 1968 the ‘National Provincial Bank’ announced their intention to merge with ‘Westminster Bank’ and form the ‘National Westminster Bank’. The branch traded under the new name from 1st January 1970. In March 1976 Mr. Elfyn Thomas was succeeded as branch manager by Mr. David Clifford Davies. In 1976-80 Cliff Davies was the Manager. In 1982 the upper floors were changed from residential to office use. On 7th April 1986 solicitor Stephen Welsh set up his office on the first floor. The property was ‘listed’ in 1992. In July 2001 a lease of the upper floors was advertised, following the departure of the Citizen’s Advice Bureau. The roof was repaired in October 2003. The building still houses the ‘National Westminster Bank’ in 2013.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
“..C18 house, stucco fronted and altered possibly in conversion for National Provincial Bank c1890, slate roof and modern brick end stacks. Two and a half storeys, 5-window range, 3 bays and 2 bays. Overhanging eaves with paired brackets, broken for 3 hornless 12-pane sashes, half-dormers with flat roofs. First floor has 5 c1890 4-pane sashes in slim raised surrounds, grouped 3 to left and 2 to right and not aligned with windows above. Ground floor 5 bays, 3 windows, main door to bank and door to upper floors framed in row of pilasters with swollen capitals and entablature. In front of main door, in wider bay, entablature is broken forward and carried on two matching square piers. Plate glass sashes to windows, modern main door and overlight and 4-panel door with overlight in final bay.
INTERIOR – From first to second floor 2 flights remain of original mid C18 staircase, twisted balusters, moulded rail and square newels. Flat balusters to upper landing.
Old photographs show the basic structure of an C18 house to have survived, formerly it appears to have been whitewashed, with two large Georgian shop windows across the three left bays, arched doorway in fourth and sash in the fifth…”
Ceredigion Archives: CDM
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
Pigot’s Directory 1830; 1835; 1844
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
NLW D Roy Evans MS 46
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1876; 1893-96; 1899; 1902-03; 1905; 1907; 1909; 1913; 1917; 1919; 1924; 1927; 1933-35; 1938; 1940-41; 1944; 1949; 1955; 1966-67; 1976; 2001
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900
Annual Report – Tabernacl C. M. Chapel, Cardigan 1901
Annual Report – Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan 1952
Electoral Register 1955
Programme – Cardigan Fat Stock & Poultry Show 1980
Planning Decision – Nat. West. Bank 30/09/1982
Planning Application & Plans – Nat. West. Bank 15/09/1983; 14/04/1993
Cardigan Civic Festival Programme 1986
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Phone Book 2003
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.
© Glen K Johnson 11/06/2013