The building is shown on John Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan as the property of Philip John Miles of the Priory. In 1836 it was leased for 21 years to Thomas Lloyd, who came to Cardigan to open the town’s first foundry on the Mwldan, with English-speaking workers from Pembrokeshire. He opened an ironmonger’s shop at No. 45 St. Mary Street. In 1836 Thomas Lloyd, ironmonger, owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Rachel’, 33 tons; and ‘Abigail’, 70 tons. In 1837 he helped to establish “Hope English Congregational Chapel” on Carrier’s Lane. He and Martha Lloyd, his wife, were the first members of the new chapel. In 1837 he owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Confidence’, 106 tons, and ‘Harmony’, 78 tons. In 1838-42 he was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1839 he became a member of Cardigan Borough Council. In 1840 Thomas Lloyd, ironmonger, owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Hope’, 97 tons; ‘Sincerity’, 59 tons; ‘Elizabeth’, 27 tons; ‘Rapid’, 25 tons; and ‘Mary Joanna’, 118 tons. In 1840 Lettice Morris was a servant here.
In 1841 Thomas Lloyd, ironmonger, 45, lived here with his wife Martha Lloyd, 50, and daughter, Mary Lloyd, 15, plus servants: William Thomas, 20; Hannah Evans, 25; and Lettice Morris, 15; plus house guests – David Davies, 47, Minister; and James Rees, 70, farmer. In 1841 Messrs. ‘Lloyd, Davies & Myers’ owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Boudicea’, 161 tons, and ‘Maria Eliza’, 69 tons. In 1842 the same ironmonger’s firm owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Margaret & Anne’, 64 tons, and ‘Nymph’, 80 tons. In 1843 ‘Lloyd, Davies & Myers’ ironmongers owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Rose & Ellen’. In 1844 the ironmongery and foundry company “Lloyd, Davies & Myers” owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Elizabeth’, 35 tons. Hannah Evans was still a servant here in 1846. In 1850 Mary Lloyd, daughter of Thomas Lloyd, married Rev. D. Evans and moved to Swansea. Thomas Lloyd retired in 1850 and sold his business to Levi James. In 1851 Thomas Lloyd was still resident. The occupiers that year were:- Thomas Lloyd, 54, ironmonger & manufacturer; Martha Lloyd, 62, his wife; John Thomas, 18, nephew, apprentice; Thomas Rees, 19, apprentice; Hannah Evans, 35, servant; and Mary Anne Jenkins, 19, servant. In 1851 Thomas Lloyd, ironmonger, owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Rose & Ellen’, 91 tons. In 1853 he owned shares in the Cardigan ship ‘Boudicea’, 161 tons. Thomas Lloyd’s lease expired in 1858. Levi James then took up a lease of the property.
In 1858-86 Levi James lived here. In 1860 twins Thomas James and David James were born here. In 1861 the property was occupied by: Levi James, 37, ironmonger; Mary James, 33, his wife; Mary A. James, 4, their daughter; Elizabeth James, 4, daughter; Thomas James, 8 months, son; David James, 8 months, son; and 6 servants. In 1863 Caroline Ellen James was born here. On 14th December 1864 Anne James was born – the daughter of Levi James, ironmonger, and his wife, Mary James. On May 9th 1865 David James, son of Levi & Mary James, died aged 4 years and 10 months. On 14th May 1865, his twin brother, Thomas James, died aged 4 years and 10 months. In 1865 Alice James was born here. In 1868 William Edward James was born here. On 5th May 1870 Mary James, wife of Levi James, gave birth to another daughter here – Emily James. Levi James had a new warehouse built nearby in 1871. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Levi James, 47, ironmonger; Mary James, 43, his wife; Mary Anna James, 14, their daughter; Elizabeth James, 12, daughter; Caroline Ellen James, 8, daughter; Alice James, 6, daughter; William Edward James, 3, son; Emily James, 10 months, daughter; 2 apprentices, plus servants. On 9th November 1873 Levi James became the Mayor of Cardigan. That year, his new house at Caemorgan was begun. On 9th November 1874 Levi James was re-elected Mayor.
There was a fire here on 5th March 1875. In 1878 Levi James was a shareholder in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Levi James, 56, merchant; Mary James, 53, his wife; Elizabeth James, 22, their daughter; Alice James, 16, daughter; Emily James, 10, daughter; Thomas Williams, 48, iron merchant’s clerk; David James, 21, iron merchant’s clerk; Thomas Jones, 19, iron manufacturer’s apprentice; Margaret Jones, 17, domestic servant; and Martha Mathias, 17, domestic servant. On 9th November 1886 Levi James became the Mayor of Cardigan.
In 1891 the following persons lived here: Thomas Jones, 44, Vicar of Penbryn; Mary Anne Jones, 34, his wife; Winifred M. Jones, 9, their daughter; Lawrence W. Jones, 8, son; Beatrice C. Jones, 4, daughter; and Mary E. Jenkins, 18, servant. In 1894-99 Daniel Ivor Evans, farmer of Tyhen, lived here. On 16th October 1894 Daniel Ivor Evans of No. 40 St. Mary Street and Tyhen married Miss Elizabeth Evans of Gwbert, Ferwig. The property was unoccupied in 1901, D. Ivor Evans having moved to Dolwerdd.
In 1903 Mr. W. G. Oakes, fishmonger, lived here. On 26th March 1909 the property, “Avondale”, had recently ceased to be used as a kindergarten (still open that January) and was advertised for sale or let. Thomas Evans lived here in 1909-34. On 10th November 1912 Miss Maggie Mary Evans, daughter of Thomas Evans & Mrs. Evans of No. 40, died aged 22. On 30th May 1914 a daughter was born here to Mrs. & Captain J. W. Jones. On 9th February 1918 Miss Evans, eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Evans of No. 39, married John E. Richards of Aberdare. In August 1919 No. 40, tenanted by Captain Minister, was advertised for sale. In 1918-34 Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Evans lived here. On 22nd April 1923 Thomas H. Brown of Avondale married Harriet Davies of the ‘White Hart’. In July 1934 Thomas Evans died aged 69 – he had been born at Bridge End, Cardigan, in 1864. In 1934 Margaret Evans and Myfanwy Owen lived here. In 1935 Thomas R. Dyer and John Anthony Morgan lived here. In 1937-50 Mrs. Evans lived here. In April 1938 Thomas R. Dyer of No. 40 was about to leave for St. Clears. In 1938 Jack Morgan lived here. In January 1939 Jack Morgan of No. 40 left for Ammanford.
In 1939-56 Miss Marjorie Owen lived here. In February 1940 William James Martin Owen of No. 40, son of Captain James Owen & Sarah E. Owen of Teifi View, St. Dogmaels, was serving in the merchant navy. He was killed on 2nd December 1940 through enemy action, leaving a widow named Marjorie Owen. In 1940-56 Mrs. Marjorie Owen lived here. In 1946-49 A. D. Adams, a recently-discharged R. A. F. serviceman, lived here. On 12th October 1950 Mrs. Margaret Evans of No. 40, widow of Thomas Evans, died aged 85. On July 4th 1951 Dan Williams of Y Bwthyn died here aged 75. He had been an Alderman of the town. In 1952 D. G. Peregrine lived here. In 1953-55 E. K. Coole lived here. In August 1956 Marjorie Owen of No. 40 married Peter Charles Coles of Kent.
Mr. Stephen Welch, solicitor, traded here in 1988-2013. In 1992 Mr. Welch, who established his business as a solicitor in 1985, sought permission to convert the loft into offices, which was approved, and to install more velux windows. The building was listed in 1992. Further alterations were conducted in 1999. Refurbishments began again in December 2002.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early C18 house, possibly refronted in early C19. Painted blue lias ashlar with slate roof and brick west end stack. Two-storey 3-window range of sashes with cambered painted heads and painted slate sills. 12-pane sashes above, 16-pane below and central ledged door, diagonally braced behind, in heavy oak moulded doorframe of C17 or early C18 type. Regency style painted timber doorcase with reeded piers, caps with oval plaques and brackets to shallow hood. Large rear wall stack with old brick shaft. West end wall has one 12-pane attic window.
South west rear wing has low ground floor to Carrier’s Lane, 2 windows, 3 windows to first floor and 2 eaves dormers. Stone south end stack with brick upper part.
INTERIOR – Extensive early C18 surviving features, notably full-height dog-leg stair up to attic, closed string with pulvinated frieze, turned balusters boarded-in except for attic and moulded hand rail. Facing over rear court is long 30-pane stair light. Main house has 5-bay collar-truss roof of heavy timbers, similar 4-bay roof to rear wing. Some early C19 details to ground floor, fluted pilasters to elliptical hall arch.
The best surviving earlier interior in Cardigan and graded II* accordingly…”
In 2000 the following observation was made:
The paint was removed from the building during the course of the year. Three velux windows to roof of façade added in 1990’s.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Hope Chapel Records
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Pigot’s Directory 1844
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1870; 1873-75; 1886; 1894; 1903; 1909; 1911-12; 1914; 1918-19; 1923; 1927; 1931; 1934-35; 1937-41; 1943-44; 1946; 1949-51; 1953; 1956
Slater’s Directory 1868
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1926
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Annual Report – Mount Zion Chapel, Cardigan 1939
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Planning Application – 40 St. Mary Street 17/10/1988; 10/12/1991; 17/03/1992
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Cardigan Secondary School Centenary Catalogue 1998
The Phone Book 2003
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel, St. Dogmaels.
© Glen K Johnson 18/06/2013