No. 44 appears on J. Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan as the property of Major Bowen. Benjamin Jenkins built the present building. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Mary Griffiths, 29, mariner’s wife; John Griffiths, 5, her son; Benjamin Griffiths, 3, son; and Jane Griffiths, 2, daughter. In 1856 Griffith Griffiths was born here. In 1858 Anne Griffiths was born here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 15, shipwright’s apprentice; Jane Griffiths, 11, his sister; Griffith Griffiths, 5, brother; and Anne Griffiths, 3, sister.
In 1868-71 George B. Osborne lived here. In 1871 George B. Osborne, 53, engineering surveyor, lived here with his wife, Frances U. Osborne, 46; Edmund H. Baynell, 22, visitor; and Catherine Williams, 23, servant. In 1875 Rev. James Owens lived here. In 1881 Caroline Owen, 33, widow, annuitant, lived here. In January 1883 John William Nicholas lived here. In 1884 Thomas R. Nicholas lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Louisa J. Howell, 52, independent; Anna E. Howell, 57, her sister; Mary Williams, 50, cook; and Maria Elizabeth James, 30, house maid. On 4th October 1892 Maria Elizabeth James, 31, of No. 44 married William Owens of the ‘Cambrian Inn’, Cambrian Quay. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas Morris, 40, sewing machine agent (b. Narberth, bilingual); Mary Morris, 40, his wife (b. Saundersfoot); Edith Morris, 15, their daughter (b. Narberth, bilingual); Gwilym Morris, 10, son (b. Cardigan, bilingual); Martha Jane Cox, 30, sister-in-law (b. Saundersfoot); Alfred Montague Cox, 1, nephew (b. Newbrompton); and William Edward Matthews, 28, boarder, foundry manager (b. Newport, Mon.). Except where noted otherwise, all were English-speaking. On 27th September 1901 David James, tailor, moved his business here from Priory Street. David James, tailor, lived and traded here in 1901-25. In 1911 the following persons lived here: David James, 48, tailor; Sarah James, 45, his wife; J. Morgan, 19, their son; May Hilda James, 16, daughter; and David B. James, 13, son.
In November 1925 John Wilson’s opened a new china department here. In 1925-55 John Wilson & Son traded here. On 3rd August 1927 a daughter was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Richard John Wilson. On 16th January 1930 a daughter was born here to Mr. & Mrs. Richard John Wilson. In 1938 John & Anne Wilson, Richard Wilson and Mrs. (Richard) Wilson lived here. In 1939-55 Richard John Wilson lived here – son of Mr. & Mrs. John Wilson. In 1949 the Wilson family lived here. In April 1951 Miss Mair Annette Wilson, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. R. J. Wilson, married David J. Jones of No. 3 Pendre. In April 1951 Mrs. Annie Edna Wilson, wife of Richard John Wilson, died aged 50. On 2nd January 1952 Miss Vera Ywen Wilson, younger daughter of R. J. Wilson and the late Mrs. Edna Wilson, married Roy Graham Daniel of the Webley Hotel, St. Dogmaels. In 1955 Richard John Wilson lived here.
On 23rd July 1963 ‘J. Thomas & Son’ opened a jeweller’s shop at No. 44. In 1963-2007, ‘J. Thomas & Son’, watch-makers & jewellers, traded here. The building was ‘listed’ in 1992. In August 2007 ‘J. Thomas & Son’ announced their closure due to retirement, and the building was advertised for sale. The shop then closed and failed to sell by auction on 26th September 2007. In July 2009 there were plans to make Nos. 44 & 45 into a single shop unit. Work was under way in April 2010. ‘Pink Orchid’ florists opened here in 2010, having previously traded on Priory Street, and traded here in 2010-13.
It was described by CADW in 1992 together with No. 45:
“…Early to mid C19 pair of large 3-storey, 2-window houses built as single terrace (Nos. 44-47), brown sandstone banded in blue lias, with slate roof. North end stack rebuilt in brick. Pair has 4-window range of close spaced sashes with cambered painted voussoirs and painted slate sills, 6-pane square upper windows and 12-pane first floor windows. Ground floor originally had paired centre doors with lozenge patterned overlights, incised decoration to piers and paired cornices on scrolled brackets.
Nos. 44-45 have half of original doorcase and both overlights surviving, with C20 projecting shop window to right, and late C19 or early C20 shopwindow to left, projecting with canted sides and fascia carried over door.
One of the best examples in Cardigan of the banded stonework typical of St. Dogmaels and to a lesser extent Cardigan in early to mid C19…”
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1914; 1926
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1938; 1955
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1901; 1907-08; 1921-22; 1926-30; 1933-34; 1937-41; 1943-44
1949; 1951-52; 1963; 1965-68; 1970-72; 1978; 1980; 2000; 20009
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod, Cardigan 1976
A Guide to Cardigan 1989
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 14/06/2013