No. 45 was marked on J. Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan as belonging to Major Bowen. Benjamin Jenkins built the present building. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Mary Williams, 44, annuitant; Maria Williams, 36, her sister; and Eliza Williams, 34, sister. In 1871-1914 Miss Maria Williams lived here. In 1881 Maria Williams, 46, and Eliza Williams, 44, her sister, lived here with Sarah Jones, 17, general servant. The Misses Williams lived here in 1884-1912. In 1891 Maria Williams, 56, and her sister Eliza Williams, 54, lived here with Elizabeth Jones, 22, servant. In 1901 Maria Williams, 66, lived here with Eliza Williams, 64, her sister, and Hannah M. Davies, 17, domestic servant. All were bilingual and born in Cardigan. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Maria Williams, 74; and Rachel Davies, 38, servant. On 15th November 1912 Miss Eliza Williams died aged 66. On 23rd July 1915 the death was reported of Miss Maria Williams of No. 45 at the age of 81. She was the last surviving daughter of High Street chemist John Williams. In 1919 someone with the surname James lived here.
In 1920-27 John Griffiths, master mariner, lived here. On 3rd November 1920 Trevor Thomas of Taff’s Well married Lissie Griffiths, only child of Captain John Griffiths. In 1930-32 Mr. J. Arthur Evans lived here. In March 1936 ‘Secure Services Ltd. Insurance Brokers’ traded here, but moved to No. 1 High Street in October 1936. In 1938 Richard John Wilson lived here. In January 1939 Mr. J. H. Johns, Registrar of Births, Marriages & Deaths, moved his office from No. 45. In 1940 H. J. Anderson may have been running a shop here. In 1949 Richard Wilson, cabinet-maker, was still trading. On 28th October 1950 C. Owen opened ‘Carmen’s’ here. In 1950-55 this was ‘Carmen’s’. On 7th May 1954 Miss Mary Barbara Owen of No. 45 married Derek Hughes of Goodwick. The manager of‘Carmen’s’ Ladies’ Outfitters was Mrs. J. E. Lennie from 1st October 1954. Mrs. Lennie had formerly been manageress of the Cliff Hotel, Gwbert. In January 1983 Neil Jonathan applied for planning permission to alter the frontage and for change of use from shop to office. Alterations to the shop-front were conducted in 1983 including a ground floor projecting bay window. The building was listed in 1992. This was ‘Chaps’ gents’ clothes shop, until it closed in December 2005. In August 2007 No. 45 was advertised for sale. It remained vacant in 2009. In July 2009 proposals were afoot to convert Nos. 44 & 45 into a single shop unit. Work was under way in April 2010. ‘Pink Orchid’ florists moved here from Priory Street in 2010 and traded here in 2010-13.
Nos. 44 & 45 were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early to mid C19 pair of large 3-storey, 2 window houses built with Nos. 44-47 as a single terrace, brown sandstone banded in blue lias, with slate roof. Pair has 4-window range of close spaced sashes with cambered painted voussoirs and painted slate sills, 6-pane square upper windows and 12-pane first floor windows. Ground floor originally had paired centre doors with lozenge patterned overlights, incised decoration to piers and paired cornices on scrolled brackets.
Nos. 44-45 have half of original doorcase and both overlights surviving, with C20 projecting shop window to right and late C19 or early C20 shopwindow to left, projecting with canted sides and fascia carried over door.
One of the best examples in Cardigan of the banded stonework typical of St. Dogmaels and to a lesser extent Cardigan in the early to mid C19…”
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Post Office Directory 1871
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1895; 1912; 1914; 1919-20; 1926
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900; 1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1938
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1915; 1920-21; 1927; 1930; 1932; 1936; 1939-40; 1949-50; 1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1953; 1955
Planning Application – No. 45 Pendre 14/01/1983
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992.
© Glen K Johnson 14/06/2013