No. 46 is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan as the property of Major Bowen. Benjamin Jenkins built the present building. In the 19th Century, solicitor John Davies lived here for a time. In 1871 Mrs. Thomas lived here. In 1875 Mrs. Mary Lowther lived here. In 1877-81 David Davies lived here. On 8th July 1877 a son – David E. Stephens Davies, was born to Mrs. & Mr. David Davies (Bonded Stores). Another son – John Henry Stephens Davies, was born to them here on 29th May 1878. A third son – Henry Percy Stephens Davies, was born to the same couple on 7th August 1879. In 1881 the following persons lived here: David Davies, 31, wine merchant; Mary Davies, 32, his wife; David E. Stephens Davies, 3, their son; John Henry Stephens Davies, 2, son; Henry Percy Stephens Davies, 1, son; Henry Stephens, 67, father-in-law; Ann Evans, 34, domestic nurse; and Mary Williams, 27, cook. No. 46 was unoccupied in 1891.
In 1893 Owen Beynon Evans traded at No. 46 as a cabinet maker & glassware dealer. In November 1893 to January 1894 Owen Beynon Evans expanded his shop into No. 47 Pendre. He became a member of the new Cardigan Intermediate School Board in April 1894. In 1894-1909 Owen Beynon Evans lived here and kept a glass shop. In 1894 Owen Beynon Evans conducted a refit of Bethania Baptist Chapel, William Street. In June 1894 Owen Beynon Evans became a magistrate. On 12th February 1895 he became an Alderman of the Borough. In 1901 Nos. 46 & 47 were occupied by Owen Beynon Evans, 47, cabinet-maker, and his sister Sarah Evans, 45, housekeeper. Both were bilingual and born in Cardigan. In March 1909 Owen Beynon Evans announced his retirement. In April 1909 he held a clearance sale prior to handing over the business to John Wilson.
In April 1909 John Wilson moved here and opened his cabinet-making & house-furnishing business. In 1909-53 John Wilson lived here and traded as a cabinet-maker & house furnisher. On 30th March 1911 Mrs. Martha James of No. 46 died aged 84. In 1911 the following persons lived at No. 46/47: John Wilson, 44, house furnisher; Anne Wilson, 44, his wife; Annie Wilson, 20, their daughter; Maggie Wilson, 16, daughter; and Richard Wilson, 13, son. On 24th July 1913 John Wilson of No. 46 married Miss Mary Anna Davies of Old Brickyard House. On 26th July 1922 Miss Annie Wilson, elder daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Wilson, married William Arthur Boyns of Glamorgan. Margaret Amelia Wilson lived here in 1938. On 13th January 1939 Mr. & Mrs. John Wilson, both 72, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Their son, Richard John Wilson, lived at No. 44 Pendre. In 1938 the occupants were: John Wilson, Mrs. Wilson, Miss Maggie Wilson, Mr. W. A. Boynes and Mrs. Boynes. In 1939 William Arthur Boyns lived here. On 21st September 1948 Mrs. Anne Wilson, wife of John Wilson, died. Miss Margaret Amelia Wilson lived here in 1949. On 12th December 1953 John Wilson died aged 87. In 1954-63 this was still the premises of ‘J Wilson & Son, House Furnishers. In 1955 Margaret Amelia Wilson lived here. On 4th January 1963 there was a closing-down sale here for ‘J. Wilson & Son’, referred to as ’No. 45 Pendre’. On 25th March 1963 ‘J. Wilson & Sons (No. 45 Pendre) closed the business they had operated for 53 years.
On 12th December 1964 ‘Peterwood Ltd.’ opened a shop here. In 1965 ‘Peterwood Ltd.’, ladies clothiers, occupied the shop. On 22nd July 1966 ‘Fashion Trend’ was opened here by Mrs. Goodall. In 1966-2006 this was ‘Fashion Trend’. In 1984 Mr. & Mrs. J. C. Hopkins traded here. The building was ‘listed’ in 1992. In July 2006 the shop adopted the new name ‘Vicini’, which traded here in 2006-13, managed by Wendy Ceridwen.
Nos. 46 & 47 were described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early to mid C19, pair of large 3-storey, 2-window houses built as single terrace (Nos. 44-47), brown sandstone banded in blue lias, with slate roof and matching south end stone stack. Pair has 4-window range of close spaced sashes with cambered painted voussoirs and painted slate sills, 6-pane square upper windows and 12-pane first floor windows. Ground floor originally had paired centre doors with lozenge patterned overlights, incised decoration to piers amd paired cornices on scrolled brackets.
Nos 46-47 have only centre pier with incised decoration, but supporting large console bracket to fascia linking 2 late C19 projecting shopwindows, that to left across whole 2-window range, that to right with recessed door. Canted sides and plate glass, overall fascia and cornice.
One of the best examples in Cardigan of the banded stonework typical of St. Dogmaels and to a lesser extent Cardigan in early to mid C19…”
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1895; 1905; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1877-79; 1893-96; 1898-99; 1902-03; 1907-09; 1911-13; 1915-19
1921-24; 1926-30; 1933-39; 1941; 1943-44; 1948; 1952; 1954; 1956; 1963-68; 1975; 2006- 07
Census Returns 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Cardigan Observer 1894
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1938; 1955
Bill-heads 1912-1914 (Cardigan Heritage Centre)
All About Cardigan, Cardigan Chamber of Commerce 1923
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Treasurer’s Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Programme – Cardigan Carnival 09/08/1950
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 14/06/2013