Site Name: No. 48 PENDRE; QUEEN’S BAKERY.
No. 48 is marked on John Wood’s 1834 Map of Cardigan. In 1871-1906 Robert Cunningham lived and traded here. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Robert Cunningham, 44, and his wife Elizabeth Cunningham, 36. In 1881 Robert Cunningham, 54, china dealer, lived here with his wife Elizabeth Cunningham, 46, niece Janie Evans, 7; and servant Anne Jeremiah, 19. In 1891 the following persons lived here and at No. 49: Robert Cunningham, 64, glass & china dealer; Elizabeth Cunningham, 56, his wife; J. Evans, 17, their niece and Catherine G., 22, servant. On 19th April 1898 Miss Janie Cunningham, adopted daughter and niece of Mr. & Mrs. Robert Cunningham, No. 48/49 Pendre, married Rev. E. P. Jones of Trefigyn, Monington – the Vicar of Moylegrove. In 1901 No. 48/49 were occupied by: Robert Cunningham, 74, china shopkeeper (b. Burnley, English-speaking); Elizabeth Cunningham, 66, his wife; Emily Davies, 24, domestic servant; and Catherine Davies, 27, nurse. Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual and born in Cardigan. On 14th April 1901 Mrs. Elizabeth Cunningham died aged 66. In July 1906 the property was advertised to let and Robert Cunningham’s stock was for sale.
In September 1906 George Phillips, clothier, opened a shop here. On 5th October 1909 Robert Cunningham of No. 48/49 Pendre and Trefigyn, Monington, died. In 1911 nobody lived here. In 1911-15 J. G. Morgan traded here. No. 48 was still a cottage at that time. In 1921 Mr. & Mrs. M. Luke, formerly of the Liberal Club, St. Mary Street, moved here and opened the Queen’s Café. In 1921-27 Caleb Luke, confectioner, kept a shop here. In March 1922 No. 48, occupied by Mrs. Roberts, was advertised for sale. In May 1922 Mr. & Mrs. Luke advertised ‘Queen’s Café & Temperance Hotel’. Mr. & Mrs. G. A. Griffiths ran the Queen’s Café’ in 1927. Mrs. M. E. Luke retired in 1930 and No. 48 was advertised for sale in August 1930.
Thomas James acquired No. 48 in 1931. In 1931-45 the Queen’s Café was run by Thomas & Jennett James. In March 1941 Thomas James was elected onto Cardigan Borough Council. On 15th October 1941 Mair James, eldest daughter of Cllr. & Mrs. Thomas James, married Mr. J. Conny Lewis of
Crymych. In 1942-43 Miss Pattie James lived here. In 1945 Thomas James became the Mayor of Cardigan. On 22nd August 1945 John Ladd Thomas (“Eddie”) married Miss Pattie James, 3rd daughter of Cllr. & Mrs. Thomas James. In May 1946 J. Con Lewis lived here having served in the army during the war. J. Con Lewis & Mrs. Lewis were the proprietors in 1946-52. On 25th February 1950 it was announced by E. James, Phoebe M. Lewis and J. Con Lewis that the ‘Queen’s Café’ would be closed down, after 20 years trading, but remained a baker’s shop – ‘Queen’s Bakery’. In March 1950 Messrs. Thomas James applied for permission to build a new bake-house. On 14th April 1952 Flight-Sergeant Ivor J. C .Radley married Miss Eirian James, third daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Thomas James of Llysteg. Mair Jane Lewis also lived here that year. In 1953-55 Thomas James ran the bakery. In 1955 Phoebe M. Lewis lived here.
In 1961 Ivor J. C. Radley of No. 48 became the Mayor of Cardigan. Councillor Ivor J. C. Radley and his family lived here in 1961-92. In 1967 Cllr. Ivor J. C. Radley became the Mayor of Cardigan again. In 1974 he became the Mayor of Cardigan for the third time and the first Mayor of the new Cardigan Town Council. Cllr Ivor J. C. Radley was re-elected Mayor of Cardigan in 1980 and 1981. Cllr Ivor J. C. Radley died in April 1992, aged 78. Mrs. Eirian Radley died on 22nd December 2006 aged 85.
In 2001 the building appeared as follows:
Early C20 shop and house in pebbledash render with imitation slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles. Three storeys, 3 windows – all plate glass sashes with square heads and slate sills to first and second floor. Painted timber eaves board. Shared banded stone stack to left, pipe to right.Projecting late C20 boarded timber fascia board above C20 shop front with 2-pane plate glass window above marbled base. Recessed C20 door to right of centre with canted plate glass shopwindow to left, painted wall to right. To right of this is small pilaster with plinth and raised vertical panel. C20 door to right with rectangular overlight.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
Post Office Directory 1871
Census Returns 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1884; 1895; 1926
List of Voters – Cardigan 1900
Annual Report – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1924
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893; 1898; 1901-02; 1906; 1911-12; 1914-15; 1921-22; 1924; 1927; 1930-35; 1937-38; 1940-43; 1945-46; 1948; 1950; 1952; 1954; 1965; 1967; 1978; 1980; 1998-99; 2006-07
Register of Electors 1938; 1955
Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Programme – Penyparc Young Farmers’ Club – Athletic Sports 08/08/1950
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Annual Report – Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan, 1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.
© Glen K Johnson 05/09/2013