A building here is marked on John Wood’s Map of Cardigan of 1834. In 1835 Rachel Jones was the landlady. In 1838-56 this was the home of mariner and publican James Jones, a burgess of Cardigan. In 1841 Rachel Jones, 50, landlady, lived here with her daughters, Phoebe Jones, 15 and Hester Jones, 14. On 27th April 1846 Phoebe Jones, daughter of Captain James Jones, married Evan Felix, butcher of Pendre. In 1851 the occupiers were:- James Jones, 66, retired master mariner; Rachel Jones, 62, his wife; Esther Jones, 25, their daughter; and Margaret James, 4 months, grand daughter. On 14th July 1856 James Jones was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 74. On 22nd December 1859 Rachel Jones was buried at St. Mary’s Church having died aged 76. In 1861 Mary Morris, 21, sailor’s wife, kept the public house and lived here with her daughter Margaret Maria Morris, 1, and 2 servants.
In 1868-84 John Esau was the landlord. On 14th May 1868 on the occasion of the wedding of Margarette Elizabeth Jenkins, daughter of Richard David Jenkins of the Priory, to William Picton Evans, John Esau, landlord, fired a cannon, which exploded, injuring some of the guests. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Esau 37, landlord; Sarah Esau, 38, his wife; and Jane Griffiths, 21, servant. In 1875-80 John Esau was a ship-owner and master mariner. In 1881 John Esau was a Deacon of Bethania Baptist Chapel, William Street. In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Esau, 47, innkeeper; Sarah Esau, 48, his wife; Anne Roberts, 19, their niece; and Mary Anne Morris, 24, servant. On 8th August 1888 Sarah Esau, widow of the late John Esau, died here aged 53.
In 1891 the following persons lived at the ‘Hope & Anchor’: William Griffiths, 35, innkeeper; Frances Griffiths, 34, his wife; William Daniel Griffiths, 12, their son; Sarah Matilda Griffiths, 9, daughter; and David Thomas Griffiths, 4, son. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Griffiths, 45, innkeeper (b. Newport); Frances Griffiths, 44, his wife (b. Cardigan); David Thomas Griffiths, 14, their son (b. Cardigan); and Sarah Matilda Morgans, 19, niece (b. Birmingham). All were bilingual. On 8th May 1903 plans were revealed for rebuilding the premises on the same scale as no. 50 to plans by Messrs. J. Williams & Co., Felingynllo. The public house had, by then, been disused for some time. The old building was demolished in May 1903.
Richard Doughton became the licensee on 7th January 1907 and was the landlord in 1907-13. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Richard Doughton, 47, innkeeper; Maria Doughton, 44, his wife; and William J. Doughton, 19, their daughter. On 26th June 1913 Richard Doughton died aged 49. In October 1913 the license was transferred to Mrs. Doughton.
In 1918-23 William Peter Evans was the landlord. On 10th November 1922 the pub was advertised for sale. In 1923 the license was transferred from William Peter Evans to Caradoc Rees. In 1923-36 Caradoc Rees was the landlord. On 11th February 1927 the future of the license was under discussion. On 5th January 1929 Evan John Rees, 26, carpenter, son of Mr. & Mrs. Caradoc Rees, married Beatrice Elizabeth George of Rhydyfantwn, Monington. On 1st July 1934 Mary Hannah Rees, wife of Caradoc Rees, died aged 61. In May 1935 Mrs. Jones lived here. In May 1936 the property was advertised to let. In 1938-59 husband and wife William James Jones and Gwendoline Jones were the landlords. In 1955 Gwendoline Elvina Jones, William James Jones and Annie M. Phillips lived here. In September 1959 Miss Sheila Elvina Jones, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William James Jones, married Derek Waterston of Halifax. In 1965 Mr. & Mrs. E. R. Jones were the landlords. In 1968 Wendy & Islwyn Jones lived here. In 1980 there were plans to build a new toilet block here.
In 1985-95 Jeff & Beth Jones ran the pub. In September 1996 the property was sold. By 1998 Len & Marilyn James were the landlords. In February 1999 Clare Thomas of No. 16 William Street and Helen Lewis became joint licensees and Helen Lewis remained the licensee in 2010. The ground floor windows were repaired in May 2001. In May 2004, planning permission was sought for disabled toilets and a new open plan internal layout.
The following observations were made in 2001:
Circa 1904 public house in painted stucco with pitched slate roof, of two storeys, 3 windows. First floor has central window with paired windows to each side – all plate glass sashes with slate sills. Ground floor has wider cambered headed marginalised sashes to outer bays and central door. Door has rectangular overlight. Windows to ground floor originally with raised stucco heads and keystones.
Old photographs show one and a half storeyed cottage here in limewashed rubble with pitched grouted slate roof. First floor had eaves-breaking sashes with roughly stuccoed flat heads – formerly thatched. Ground floor had 2 windows, then door with shelf hood over, then window.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pigot’s Directory 1835; 1844
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Slater’s Directory 1868
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1880; 1903; 1907; 1913; 1922; 1924; 1927; 1929; 1932-36
1938-40; 1943-45; 1951-52; 1959; 1965; 1968; 1980; 1995-99
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1884; 1914; 1920; 1926
Cardigan Observer 1888
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Parish of St. Mary Jury List 1919
Register of Electors 1938; 1955
Statement of Accounts – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1938
Bethania, Aberteifi, R Edwards 1947
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950, 1953; 1955
© Glen K Johnson 06/09/2013