In the late 19th Century Captain John Griffiths, master of the Cardigan ship “Europa”, lived here. In 1861 Mary Griffiths, 33, mariner’s wife, lived here with Elizabeth Hoge, 54, mariner’s wife. In 1871 the property was the home of John Griffiths, 46, widower, Master Mariner. In 1891 the following persons lived on the site of the garage: John Griffiths, 64, widower, fisherman; and David Griffiths, 61, his cousin, fisherman. Both were born in the parish and spoke Welsh and English. The following persons lived at Norwood House itself: Annie Jones, 31 (b. Flint); Edward Garfield Jones, 8, her son, scholar (b. Penrhyncoch); Alice Jones, 6, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels); Ceridwen Jones, 2, daughter (b. St. Dogmaels); and Annie Jones, 4 months, daughter. All were Welsh-speaking. On 19th September 1893 Elizabeth (“Lizzie”) Thomas, 3rd daughter of Timothy & Hannah Thomas, formerly of Bridge End Foundry, died here aged 26. David Griffiths still lived here in 1894.
On 28th November 1898 a son, Samuel Green, was born here to the wife of Captain Samuel Green, but died on 23rd December 1898 aged 1 month. In 1901 Emma Green, 25, wife, lived here. She was bilingual and had been born in the parish. In 1901-16 Samuel Green, master mariner, lived here. On 26th July 1902 Ann Nora Green, daughter of Captain Samuel John Green of Norwood, died aged 4 months. In 1907 Samuel Green was Captain of the S. S. ‘Riverton’. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Samuel Green, 39, steam trawler owner (b. West Hartlepool), Welsh-speaking); Emma Green, 34, his wife; Harry Green, 7, their son; Alwyn Mary Green, 5, daughter; Jack Green, 2, son; Mary Green, 5 months, daughter; Maggie Phillip, 18, servant (b. Cardiff); and L. A. Nicholas, 27, relative. Except where noted otherwise, all were St. Dogmaels born and bilingual. On 5th November 1912 a daughter, Cymraes Green, was born to Mrs. & Captain Samuel Green of Norwood. On 30th June 1913 Cymraes Green died aged 8 months. On 2nd September 1914 Mary (“Moll”) Green, daughter of Samuel & Emma Green died aged 3 years and 11 months. On 21st July 1915 a daughter was born to Mrs. & Captain Samuel Green of Norwood. On 15th February 1916 Captain Samuel J. Green of Norwood, Master of the S. S. ‘Ashby’, was lost with his vessel off the coast near Ushant, France, during a heavy storm. He was 45. The property was advertised for sale as ‘Norwood Cottage’ in September 1925 and September 1926. In 1926 Mrs. Green lived here.
In 1937-42 Professor T. J. Morgan lived here. In 1940 Mrs. E. A. Morgan lived here as did Mr. Enoch Davies. In December 1942 Norwood was the home of Professor T. J. Morgan, Principal of the Cambria Correspondence College of Music. In July 1981‘Glen’s Cake Shop’ opened here, which became ‘Janet’s Cake Shop’ in September 1981.
Two storey and attic stucco rendered C19 house, altered in earlier C20, with slate gabled roofs and rendered end stacks. Façade is symmetrical with two full-height squared projecting bays of ca1906 having gablets to façade with narrow attic sashes and wavy bargeboards. First and ground floors have narrow plate glass sashes to sides and pairs to frontage each storey, all with painted sills – continuous sills to pairs. Between bays is half-glazed timber door with rectangular overlight beneath railed balcony. Railed forecourt on dwarf wall with spearheads and gate.
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 1894
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1906; 1914; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893; 1898; 1902; 1907; 1912-15; 1925-26; 1932; 1942
Monington Parish Registers
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenywaun Chapel cemetery.
Posters – Cake Shop, Norwood 1981
Sale Particulars – Norwood House, J J Morris 2008
© Glen K Johnson 17/08/2013.