The present name means ‘The Gull’s Hollow’. In 1830 J. Griffith had the warehouse built and dated. It is marked on J. Wood’s 1834 map of Cardigan. In 1875-76 Thomas Davies occupied Cambrian Stores here. On 11th May 1877 William James, ironmonger & implement agent, may have been selling manures here. In 1877-83 William Morgan was the tenant. John Davies may have been the owner in the late 1880’s.
In April 1972 ‘Pantywylan Antiques’ moved here from Ceibwr, Moylgrove. From at least 1972 it was a shop called “Antiques & Things” referred to as ‘Pantywylan Antiques’ in 1972-86. In 1976 it re-opened with Mrs D. R. Stubbs as the proprietor.
In 1988-2007 David Wilson had an artist’s studio here. In June 1988 a planning application sought change of use of the first floor from commercial to residential. This was approved. The property was made a listed building in 1992. By 1998 it had been divided into residential flats. The flats were occupied that year by David G. Harris (1); Malgwyn Amos (2); Thomas R. Fletcher (3); Muriel A. Morgan and Duncan S. Pearce (4) and Richard T. Goldsmith (5). In October 2001 Richard T. Goldsmith was the owner. The roof covering was renewed in slate and other improvements were conducted in June 2002. The lettering on the inscribed date-stone was re-cut at the same time. In 2003 Richard T. Goldsmith lived here. In December 2005 Richard T. Goldsmith sold the property to James Lynch.
The building was described by CADW in 1992:
1830 warehouse (dated 1830 J Griffiths) in blue lias rubble stone with corrugated asbestos roof and no stacks. Three-storey, 4-window range. West front has four top floor 4-pane casements with slate sills, the third one a former loading door but altered to match and 4 first floor openings with cambered brick heads, 4-pane casements except third which is loading door. Plaque between second window and door. Slate sills. Ground floor has blocked window to left, then through passage with timber lintel, then broad opening with later iron lintel and C20 boarded infill, then broad cambered brick headed doorway, not aligned and fifth opening to right, also with cambered brick head.
Outside steps into bank at north end, with access doors to first and second floors. South end has ground floor broad doorway with cambered brick head, first floor loading door with brick head and slate sill, modern door and second floor C20 broad opening with concrete lintel and balcony.
Rear east wall has 4 second floor windows, 4-pane with timber lintels, 3 to first floor, similar but with cambered brick heads and ground floor 2 blocked openings and through passage.
FURTHER OBSERVATIONS (2007) – Following 2002 renovations roof is now slate.
Map of Cardigan, J Wood 1834
NLW MSS 5540-5542
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1877; 1972; 1974; 1976-77; 1979; 2001-02
NLW Morgan Richardson MS 2373
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
Planning Decision – Pantywylan 21/04/1988
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cardigan, CADW 1992
Register of Electors – Cardigan 1998
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 16/03/2013.