• PARCYPRATT.

    by  • June 22, 2013 • House, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 1 Comment

    History:

    It is generally accepted that at some point during the history of Parcypratt the site of the house was moved from nearby ‘Hendy’ to the present location. Nothing indicative of an early house can be discerned at Hendy, and the presence of re-used medieval stone jambs in the garden at the present site might suggest an early re-location. The name means ‘Pratt’s Field’. It was first recorded as the seat of the Norman family named Pratt in 1201. It was owned by Geoffrey Pratt in 1292. In the C15 the Pratt heiress, Elen Pratt, married John Cole of St. Dogmaels and had a son named Philip Cole. Philip Cole’s heiress was his sole daughter, Janet Cole, who married Owain ap Rhys of Llystyn. Owain ap Rhys bequeathed Parcypratt to his son, Jenkin ap Owain, who was later succeeded by his son, Thomas Jenkin ap Owain. This Thomas Jenkin ap Owain married Elen, daughter of Howel Young ap Jenkin, and had a son and heir – David Thomas Jenkin ap Owain.

    In 1560 David Thomas Jenkin ap Owain of Park y Pratt, was granted three pieces of land at Tir yr Hengoed in Bridell by Rhys Vychan ap Rhydderch of St. Dogmaels, Enghereud, his wife and Rhydderch ap Rhys Vychan of Sealyham. His father, Thomas Jenkin ap Owain still lived here in 1567. David Thomas Jenkin ap Owen had enlisted in the army, served at Boulogne and elsewhere in France during the reign of Henry VIII. By 1588 David Thomas had three sons by his wife, Janet, daughter of Sir James ab Owen ap William ab Owen of Pentre Ifan. The three were Einon David, Nicholas David, and the younger Rev. Nicholas David of Parcypratt. Einon David married Margaret John of Trefaes Issa, though they later divorced. David Thomas (Jenkin ap Owen) died on 10th May 1601 and his elegy was sung by Sion Mawddog. The property was then occupied by his son, Rev. Nicholas David, Vicar of St. Dogmaels, until his death ca1612. In 1603 George Owen wrote of:

    “…Parc-y-prat, the mansion house now of Nicholas David, clerk, second son of his father David Thomas, who in his time lived and died in the love and liking of all his acquaintance and who greatly beautified the place. He was descended of the house of Llanerch-y-Blaidd, namely David the son of Thomas the son of Jenkin the son of Owen the son of Rhys ap Ieuan Jenkin ap Owain of Llanerch…. It is called Parc-y-prat of a family of people whose surname was Pratt and whose daughter and heir called Ellen Pratt married …Coll of St. Dogmaels, whose daughter and heir called Jenet Coll was wife to Owain ap Rhys, great grandfather to the said David Thomas. The said David Thomas died 10th May 1601 and was the last of them that lived in his country which had served King Henry the eighth at the winning of Boulogne. He was a comely and lusty gentleman till death, being of great years…”

    [In 1613, a John Pratt was living in St. Dogmaels]. On 29th January 1614 Hugh Davide of Park-y-Pratt wrote his will (proved on 14th February 1614) and referred to his son, Stephen David – a minor; his deceased uncle Rev. Nicholas David, formerly of Parkypratt and Vicar of the parish; Angharad verch Griffith – Hugh’s wife; Richard Thomas of St. Dogmaels – his uncle; Sara Davide, his daughter; Owen and Daniell David – his brothers; and his servants – Richard Fivian, David Morgan and David Rees. Angharad verch Griffith was the daughter of Griffith ap Rees of Troedyraur. In 1614 Richard David of Parcypratt wrote his will and died.

    By 25th September 1666 Parcypratt was occupied by Nicholas Davids. On that date, Anne Davids, second daughter of Stephen Davids, deceased, married Thomas Bowen of Cilgerran. The marriage settlement involved some 23 properties in Cilgerran and Bridell. In 1670 one Mary David, widow, was assessed at two hearths for the Hearth Tax – perhaps for Parcypratt. On 17th November 1684 Nicholas Davids of Parkypratt wrote his will, which was proved on 10th August 1685. He referred to his son, David Davids – a minor; Mary Davids, his daughter; Deborah Davids, daughter; Roger Davids, eldest son; and Margery Davids, his wife. His daughter, Deborah Davids, later married William Rowland.

    On 29th June 1713 Richard Thomas of Parcypratt leased Waunsegur Uchaf from William Rowland of Kylgarthen. In 1716, according to one source, the owner/occupier was William Morris, but a document of the 8th May that year refers to property in St. Dogmaels being leased to William Davies of Parcypratt. On 23rd November 1719 William Davies was granted properties in St. Dogmaels by Stephen Parry of Noyadd Trefawr. In 1740 John William lived here.

    In 1760 Thomas Morris lived here and was listed as a Parliamentary voter. In 1762 probate was made of the will of Thomas Morris of Parcypratt. In 1763 Nicholas and James Rowlands of Kylgarthen sold Waunsegyr to James Morris on 30th April for £120. In 1772 probate was made of the will of James Morris of Parkypratt, written on 25th July 1772. He referred to his mother, Martha Morris, and brother Thomas orris. On 7th October 1772 William Morris of Parkypratt was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1779 Mrs. Morris lived here. In November 1782 reference was made to Thomas Morris of Parkypratt, brother and heir-at-law of the late James Morris of the same, sons of Thomas Morris, late of the same place, and his wife Martha Morris. He leased a third of the property to James Phillips of Bridge End on 19th November 1782. In 1782-1809 Thomas Morris, owner, lived here. In 1788 Thomas Morris became a Church Warden. He died here in May 1809.

    In November 1813 Parkypratt was sold by auction. In 1815 a family named Jenkins lived here. In 1817 John Sumner lived here. On January 4th 1819 William Morris of Parkypratt was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 74. The property was purchased in 1820 by Thomas Davies, Bridge House, Cardigan, who had it rebuilt shortly afterwards. Some 17th and 18th Century timbers were re-used in the new house and its outbuildings. Some chamfered medieval stone jambs used as gateposts indicate the presence of a substantial medieval house here. In 1825 Thomas Makeig and his wife Mary Makeig became the tenants until 1838. The property was then 294 acres in size. Thomas Davies died on 22nd February 1832 aged 74, leaving a £36,000 estate. On June 9th 1832 Thomas Makeig of Parcypratt wrote his Will. He referred to his son George Makeig and wife Mary Makeig, and to Hesther Thomas – a servant here. David Davies rented Parkypratt to Thomas Makeig from 1832-40. It is shown on a map of 1834. In 1835-36 Thomas Makeig was a burgess of Cardigan. In 1838 Parkypratt was owned by Thomas Davies, infant son of David Davies, and administrated by his mother, Anna Letitia Davies, as his guardian. It was leased to Thomas and Mary Makeig, together with 294 acres, but Thomas Makeig died of gout on 4th May 1838 aged 66. (Their daughter, Jane Makeig, married John Williams of St. David’s, who died in 1866). In 1839 Benjamin Makeig died aged 23. In 1840 David Makeig died aged 29.

    William Griffith George of Parkypratt in 1853 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    William Griffith George of Parkypratt in 1853 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    In 1841-52 Rev. John Picton George, Rector of Bridell, lived here. In 1841-58 William Griffith George and family lived here. In 1841 the following persons lived here: John (Picton) George, 50, clerk; Margaret George, 35, his wife; William (Griffith) George, 15 their son; and servants: Lewis Jones, 20; John Jones, 15; John Richard, 15; John Thomas, 30; Ann Davies, 30; Margaret Davies, 25; and Elizabeth Davies, 20. On 25th February 1845 William James, joiner, of St. Dogmaels married Ann Thomas – a servant here. On 26th December 1848 Margaret Gould George, daughter of solicitor William Griffith George and Eliza George, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. In September 1849 Eliza Jane George was born at Parcypratt, the daughter of William Griffith George and Eliza George nee’ Williams. Rev. John Picton George had Maesyfelin built at Bridell in 1850-52. On 1st April 1850 Martha Thomas, a servant here, married Thomas Griffiths, labourer, of Moylgrove. In 1851 the property was occupied by Elizabeth George, 27, solicitor’s wife; Margaret George, 2, her daughter; Eliza George, 1, daughter; Margaret George, 47, mother-in-law – wife of Rev. John Picton George, Rector of Bridell; Margaret Jenkins, 20, nurse; Anne Davies, 20, cook; Mary Bateman, 23, dairy maid; Eleanor James, 19, house maid; David Williams, 15, farm servant; Benjamin Morris, 14, shepherd; and Mary James, 14, under nurse. On 7th October 1851 Blanche George, daughter of William Griffith George and Eliza George of Parcypratt, was baptised at Bridell Church.

    On 7th March 1853 a draft marriage settlement between Thomas Davies of Bridge House and Tintern Cottage, Cardigan, included the estate. On September 17th 1853 John Picton Meredith George, son of William Griffith George and Eliza George, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. On March 9th 1855 Henry Llewellyn George, son of William Griffith George and Eliza George, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. Richard Fenton wrote the following in 1860:-

    “…Parky Pratt was, during the last century and part of this, in the possession of a family named Morris, the last of whom, dying without issue, left the estate to a cousin of his living in Bristol who resided for some time at Park y Pratt accompanied by a person named Sumner in whose favour he made his will. Sumner sold the estate to Thomas Davies Esq., of the Bridge, Cardigan, and ere he left the country erected a monumental stone in memory of his friend…”

    By 1861 William Griffith George had moved to Pantygrwndy, Llantood and Parkypratt may have been unoccupied that year.

    In 1871 the following persons lived here: David Mathias, 68, farm bailiff; Martha Mathias, 66, his wife; Theodosia Mathias, 29, their daughter, dressmaker; Martha Nicholas, 27, dairymaid; and Mary Williams, 16, general servant. The Davies’ were back in residence at Parcypratt before 23rd October 1871, when Alderman Davies agreed to supply new wheels and mounting for the Russian Field Gun to be mounted at the Guildhall, Cardigan. Thomas Davies lived here in 1873-77.  In 1881 the following persons lived here: David P. Jones, 41, farm bailiff; Mary Jones, 38, his wife; Rachel Jones, 9, their daughter; William P. Jones, 6, son; and Mary Williams, 35, servant. On 10th November 1882 Miss Anne Johnson of Parcypratt married John Thomas of Llwynpiod, Cardigan. In 1883 Mary Francis and David Jones lived at Parcypratt, probably servants. On 8th August 1887 Parkypratt was advertised to let. A sale of timber from the wood was held here on 30th December 1889. David Mathias ceased to live here in the late 1880’s. In the late 1880’s Price Jones, bailiff, lived here, as did Anne Thomas and M. A. Roberts.

    In 1890-94 Philip John lived here. On October 7th 1890 William David John of Parcypratt was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 9 months. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Philip John, 37, farmer; Elizabeth John, 24, his wife; Randolph St. John, 5, their son; Esther John, 4, daughter; Mary Jane John, 2, daughter; Sarah Roberts, 19, house maid; Thomas Phillips, 17, farm servant; and Daniel Morris, 14, farm servant. On July 5th 1892 Randolph St. John of Parcypratt was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 6. On 21st February 1895 Thomas Jones of Abbey Forge and David Edwards, Feidr Fawr, allegedly smashed panes of glass here. Servant Annie Lily was a witness. On April 16th 1895 Margie John of Parcypratt daughter of Philip John, was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 6 months on 13th April. On 30th April 1896 the property was sold, together with the farms of Bryngwyn and Penwaun – presumably to Thomas Howard John. In 1896 the Pembrokeshire Archaeological Survey noted that:

    “…the old house stood some 300 yards below the present homestead, and was surrounded by trees, several of which still remain. There is nothing left of the mansion but some rough walling, and an outhouse which has been converted into a cottage…”

    On July 27th 1899 Margie Johns of Parcypratt died aged 2 months. The property was advertised for sale in January 1900 with 245 acres. In 1901-32 Thomas Howard Johns was the farmer. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas Howard Johns, 50, farmer (born at Llanboidy); Emma Johns, 34, his wife (born at St. Clears); Alberta W. Johns, 12, their daughter (born at Llangan, as were all their children); Lena M. Johns, 11, daughter; Bernice M. Johns, 10, daughter; Cranmer Johns, 9, son; Martha Davies, 21, domestic servant (born at St. Clears); Elizabeth Phillips, 22, domestic servant (born at Llanboidy); and Evan P. Jones, 17, agricultural labourer (born at New Quay). The household was bilingual. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Thomas Howard Johns, 59, farmer; Emmie Johns, 45, his wife (since 1888); Alberta Winifrede Johns, 22, their daughter; Lina Myfanwy Johns, 21, daughter; Bernice Mary Johns, 19, daughter; Cranmer Llewelyn Johns, 18, son; and John Stephens, 17, cow man (b. Moylegrove). All were bilingual. On August 12th 1913 Bernice Mary Johns, 22, daughter of farmer Thomas Howard Johns, married widower David Thomas Volk of Clawddcam. On 19th August 1915 Cranmer Llewelyn Johns, 23, of Parcypratt died. On 4th October 1918 a sale of crops was held here for Thomas H. Johns.

    In 1919-28 Samuel G. Davies lived here with his children. In 1920 Samuel J. Davies of Parkypratt advertised Pantygrwndy Fach for sale. On 3rd February 1926 there were dog races and rabbit coursing activities here. In 1938 the following persons lived here: Mr. & Mrs. S. J. Davies; Miss Betty Davies; Mr. T. H. Davies; and Glan Davies.

    Henry Graham Partridge bought Parcypratt in April 1943. He lived here in 1945-98. In 1947 he was President of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In 1971 H. Graham Partridge was the Sheriff of Cardiganshire. In 1979 he received an O. B. E. On 21st December 1979 H. Graha Partridge resigned as a J. P. after 30 years on the bench. In 1992 the house and an outbuilding became listed buildings. In April 1997 the 8 bedroom property was advertised for sale with 14 acres. The house changed hands again in 2008, and the staircase was said to have been replaced and an internal wall removed in early 2009.

    Description:

    The house and an outbuilding were described by CADW in 1992:

    Parcypratt in 1996 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    Parcypratt in 1996 (Glen Johnson Collection)

    Earlier C19 house, probably built for Thomas Davies, The Bridge, Cardigan, who bought it in 1820. Rubble stone, 2-storey 3-window range with slate roof and rendered stone end stacks. Long rear wing. Main front has 12-pane hornless sashes with cambered stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre 6-panel door with narrow lozenge-pattern overlight, painted timber Regency style doorcase with plain piers, deep fascia and shelf hood on brackets. Basement door to left.

    South end wall is slate-hung with attic light, first floor window and ground floor window and door. Brick South east corner stack. Colourwashed stone north end wall with attic light, 2 blank first floor windows and 2 12-pane sashes to ground floor. Rear wall is colour-washed with tall pointed traceried stair-light, one dormer and rear wall stack.

    South east low 2-storey rear wing with east end stack, 2-window range, 6-pane sashes above, door and casement pair below.

    Inglenook fireplace in rear east end, 6-panel doors and plain stair in main range. South end large fireplace with timber lintel.

    OUTBUILDINGS TO WEST – Early to mid C19 range of outbuildings. Z-plan, enclosing south and west sides of yard, since infilled with later buildings and a further range running west from south end, rubble stone, partly whitewashed with corrugated asbestos roofs. North east end building, gable-ended to drive is lofted cart shed with east end elliptical-arched entry, stone voussoirs and 6 tiers of paired dove-holes above, slate shelves. South side has three windows under eaves, two windows and door below. North side has centre upper loading door and window each side. Outside stone steps up to loft door. Lower range runs east, with roof hipped at north west angle and returns south with modern additions on east front. Lower south end range with stone south end stack on coped gable. Door at left end, then big outside stone steps to eaves-breaking loft door, then ground floor window, door, window with cambered stone heads and square upper window with timber lintel. Attached to rear south east angle, low cow-shed range with one door with overlight and timber lintel to left, then 4 matching stable doors with cambered stone heads. Small square openings to left and right of range of four doors…”

    Sources:

    NLW Eaton, Evans & Williams MSs 49; 1279; 2947.

    Hearth Tax List for Pembrokeshire 1670

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: D/JAM/3

    NLW Noyadd Trefawr MS 874-875

    Gloucester Journal 09/08/1779

    NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/15

    Cambrian Journal 20/05/1809; 13/11/1813

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-52; 1885-1952

    Ledger of David Davies, Bridge House & Castle Green, Cardigan 1830-54

    Map of Cardigan, John Wood 1834

    Tithe Map of St. Dogmaels 1838

    Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911

    Pigot & Co.’s Directory of South Wales 1844

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970

    Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1813-58

    Slater’s Directory 1852

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1871; 1882; 1885-87; 1889; 1895-96; 1899-1900; 1913; 1915;

        1918-21; 1923; 1925-28; 1932-33; 1937-38; 1943; 1956; 1963; 1971; 1979; 1997-98; 2004; 2009

    Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891

    Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894

    Cardigan Observer 1895

    Historical Society of West Wales Transactions Vol. I 1911

    Penybryn Baptist Chapel Annual Report 1911

    Register of Electors – Cardigan 1912; 1994; 1999

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926

    Register of St. Dogmaels Parochial School

    Annual Report – Capel Degwel, St Dogmaels 1938

    Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955 

    Ceredigion 1965; 1973

    Elizabethan Pembrokeshire, George Owen, ed. Brian Howells 1973 

    Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest – Cardigan, Julian Orbach, CADW 1992

    The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993

    Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire & Their Families, Francis Jones 1996

    Historic Houses of Cardiganshire & Their Families, Francis Jones 2000

    Monumental Inscriptions, St. Dogmaels Cemetery

    The Phone Book 2003

    Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.

    © Glen K Johnson 22/06/2013.

    About

    One Response to PARCYPRATT.

    1. David Lloyd Owen
      June 28, 2019 at 12:35 pm

      Hello Glen, recent events have also been interesting. David and Clare Hieatt moved there in 2008, and established Hiut Denim in the barns before taking over the old Mwldan jeans factory. Parc-y-Prat is now the venue for the Do Lectures.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *