• PENCWM

    by  • June 22, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels, Uncategorized • 0 Comments

    History:

    The name means ‘Valley Head or End’. The house was built and dated in 1744. In 1783 Thomas Lloyd of Cwgloyne leased it to William Williams. In 1794 the house was allegedly built or rebuilt for Rev. Titus Lewis, Minister of Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel on the occasion of his marriage to a Carmarthen lady. She disliked the neighbourhood and they moved to Carmarthen where Rev. Titus Lewis (who remained the joint local Baptist minister until his death, despite the travelling distance) died in 1811. In 1806-18 David Richard lived here. On 12th March 1818 David Richard of Penycwm wrote his will, referring to his only daughter Mary Williams, wife of mason John Williams; his late wife Jemima Richard; and his son Benjamin Richards, who inherited Pencwm. On 16th April 1820 Benjamin Richards, son of David Richards, died aged 26. On 21st May 1828 David Richards of Pencwm died aged 83. In October 1833 John Williams moved to St. Dogmaels Mill.

    In 1833-36 William & Anne Jenkins lived here. On 1st August 1833 Rachel Jenkins, daughter of William and Ann Jenkins, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. William Jenkins was a mason. On 24th September 1836 John Jenkins, son of William and Ann Jenkins, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels.

    In 1838 Pencwm was owned and occupied by John Richards, who originally leased it from Thomas Morgan. Alternatively, from tithe map evidence, in 1838, it may have been owned by Mr. Andrews and leased to Thomas Williams. In 1841 John Richards of Scyborhen purchased Penwcwm from John Williams of St. Dogmaels Mill. On 30th March 1843 Margaret Thomas of Pencwm died aged 4. On 9th February 1845 Margaret Jones, wife of John Jones of Pencwm, died aged 51. On 26th February 1845 Mary Jones, 26, daughter of John Jones, died aged 26. On 14th March 1845 John Jones of Pencwm died aged 50. On February 5th 1847 David Davies of Pencwm was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged just 2 years. On 29th April 1847 Hannah Davies, daughter of David Davies, Pencwm, died aged 12. On 15th September 1848 Margaret Thomas of Pencwm died aged 3. On 3rd January 1849 Ann Thomas, the wife of William Thomas of Pencwm, died aged 36. In 1850 John Richards lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: John Richards, 84; Mary Richards, 58, his wife; Elizabeth Richards, 19, their daughter; Benjamin Richards, 15, their son; and a boarder. On 28th December 1864 John Richards of this address, died aged 87.

    On 29th June 1869 Mary Nicholas, wife of John Nicholas of Pencwm, died aged 32. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Nicholas, 35, widower, labourer; William Nicholas, 6, his son; Margaret Nicholas, 4, daughter; Mary Anne Nicholas, 2, daughter; and Anne Thomas, 33, sister-in-law. On 26th October 1874 Mary Davies, wife of David Davies of this address, died aged 81. On 22nd September 1877 the wife of Benjamin George of Pencwm, gave birth to a daughter. On 11th December 1877 John Thomas, son of Ann Thomas of Pencwm, died aged 29. In May 1878 Benjamin Richards of Pencwm, mariner, owned shares in ‘The Cardigan Mercantile Company’.

    In the late 1880’s Pencwm was occupied by Thomas & Elizabeth Evans and John & Mary Jenkins. In 1889-1926 Thomas Evans lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived at Pencwm: Thomas Evans, 37, farmer; Charity Evans, 35, his wife; David Evans, 7, their son; and Mary Evans, 4, their daughter. In 1891-1935 Mrs. Charity Evans lived here. On April 7th 1892 John Williams of Pencwm was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 59. On 11th November 1893 David Williams of Pencwm, mariner, married Miss Ann Davies of the Mwldan, Cardigan. On August 28th 1895 Mary Evans, daughter of Thomas and Charity Evans, was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 11 years on August 19th. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas Evans, 48, haulier & farmer (born at Whitchurch, bilingual); Charity Evans, 46, his wife (born at Clydey, Welsh-speaking); and David Evans, 17, their son (born at St. Dogmaels, bilingual). In 1911 the following persons lived here: Thomas Evans, 58, haulier; Charity Evans, 57, his wife; and David Evans, 27, their son, school-teacher. On April 22nd 1926 Thomas Evans, died aged 78. In April 1932 Pencwm was advertised to let. On June 20th 1935 Charity Evans died aged 82. In February 1936 Pencwm was advertised to let.

    In 1938 David Ladd Davies lived here. In 1939 Elizabeth, David and Mary Morgan lived here. In August 1941-January 1944 David James Morgan lived here. On 11th April 1942 Margaret Elizabeth (“Megan”) Morgan, S. R. N., younger daughter of Mrs. E. Morgan and the late Mr. G. Morgan of Pencwm, married Amry Morris Lewis of Penybryn. In February 1962 Mrs. Mary Morgan of Pencwm died aged 51. On 22nd April 1966 the 3 bedroom property was advertised for sale. It was made a listed building in 1993.

    Pencwm in April 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Pencwm in April 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Description:

    It was described by CADW in 1993:

    Dated 1744, but more probably rebuilt in earlier C19. Colourwashed roughcast with slate roof and rendered stacks. Service range to left raised to even roofline in C20. Two-storey, three-window front with 4-pane sashes and slate sills, the lower sashes with stucco hoodmoulds and centre C20 door under stucco ogee hoodmould. Date plaque above. Lean-to to rear and C20 rebuilt left end and NW rear wing.

    Interior altered, roof obscured but ends of hewn principal rafters visible and some hewn timbers in the lean-to…”

    Sources:

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/15

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1813-1858

    Tithe Map of St. Dogmaels Parish 1838

    St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1813-1852; 1885-1952

    Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901; 1911

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1877; 1893; 1932; 1938; 1941-42; 1944; 1962; 1965

    Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891

    Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels July 30th 1894

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926

    Annual Report – Capel Seion, St. Dogmaels 1924

    Annual Report – Blaenywaun & Bethsaida Chapels, St Dogmaels 1939

    Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW

    Monumental Inscriptions, St. Dogmaels Cemetery; Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery

    The Phone Book 2003.

    © Glen K Johnson 22/06/2013.

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *