The inn was built in the C18 or earlier. Thomas George (b. Ffynnoncoronau, Bridell, son of John George) and family moved here ca. 1859. In 1859-70 Thomas George was the publican. On 27th October 1860 John Picton George, son of Thomas & Mary George of the ‘Pendre Inn’, was baptised at Bridell Church. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Thomas George, 32, maltster; Mary George, 27, his wife; David George, 3, their son; John George, 1, son; Rachel Davies, 24, house servant; and Rachel Thomas, 16. In 1862 Thomas George became a trustee of the new Penuel Baptist Chapel in the village. In June 1862 Mary Anne George, daughter of Thomas & Mary George, was born here. On 4th February 1863 Mary Anne George, daughter of Thomas & Mary George of ‘Pendre Inn’, was baptised at Bridell Church. On 9th March 1863 Mary Anne George, daughter of Thomas & Mary George, died aged 1. On 4th May 1864 William George, son of Thomas & Mary George of the ‘Pendre Inn’, was baptised at Bridell Church, having been born on 4th April 1864. Ca. 1868 Elizabeth “Betsey” George was born here, daughter of Thomas & Mary George. Thomas George died on 10th January 1870, aged 41.
In 1870-78 Mary George was the publican. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Mary George, 38, widow, maltster & publican; David George, 13, her son, maltster; John George, 10, son; William George, 7, son; Elizabeth George, 3, daughter; Mary Anne Mathias, 19, servant; and Mary James, 17, servant. Mary George’s son, John Picton George, aged 18, drowned on 14th September 1877 when a fishing boat capsized on Cardigan Bar. On 21st December 1878 Mary George was buried at Bridell Church, having died here aged 46. Her heir was her son, David George.
In 1878-85 David Morris George (b. 1857 Manordeifi, son of Thomas George, originally of Ffynnon Coronau, Bridell and Mary George nee’ Morris) was the publican. In March 1880 he married Mary Anne Jones. On 22nd November 1880 a daughter, Betsey George, was born to the wife of David Morris George, maltster. In March 1881 Thomas William George was born here. In 1881 the following persons lived here: David Morris George, 23, licensed victualler (b. Manordeifi); Mary Anne George, 22, his wife; William George, 17, his brother; Betsey George, 13 months, daughter; and Thomas William George, 4 months, son. Except where noted otherwise, all were born in Cilgerran. In September 1882 Mary George was born here, daughter of David Morris George & Mary Ann George. In June 1884 Martha George was born here, daughter of David Morris George & Mary Anne George. On 19th August 1885 David Morris George died suddenly aged 28. In 1885-1933 Mrs. Mary Anne Gerge was the publican. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Mary Ann George, 31, widow, inn-keeper; Thomas George, 10, her son; Mary George, 9, her daughter; Martha George, 7, daughter; William George, 27, brother-in-law; Betsy George, 24, sister-in-law; and Hannah John, 26, servant. In 1891-1902 William George lived here. In March 1892 Mary Anne George married her brother-in-law William George. In September 1892 Betsy George was born here, the daughter of William & Mary Anne George nee’ Jones. On 26th January 1893 Betsy George of the ‘Pendre Inn’ married David Thomas of Pendre, joiner. In 1894 the old Court Leet was held here for the last time. In June 1894 John Morgan George was born here to William & Mary Anne George. On 8th October 1896 Rhoda George was born, the daughter of William & Mary Anne George. On 16th October 1896 Rhoda George of ‘Pendre Inn’ was buried at Bridell Church having died on 14th October 1896 aged just five days. On 2nd February 1898 Nellie George was born. On 31st January 1900 Nellie or Hettie George of the ‘Pendre Inn’ was buried at Bridell Church, having died aged 2 on 27th January.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: William George, 36, maltster & merchant; Mary Anne George, 40, his wife; Thomas H. George, 20, his step-son; Mary George, 18, step-daughter; Martha George, 16, step-daughter; Betsy George, 8, daughter; and John Morgan George, 6, son. All were born in the parish and bilingual. The pub appears in a postcard of c1910, at which date part of the roof was tin, older roof dormers were visible and there was no porch. On 2nd September 1912 William George of the ‘Pendre Inn’ was buried at Bridell Church, having died on 28th August aged 48. On 5th May 1913 Dan Thomas married Miss Mary George, eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George, ‘Pendre Inn’. On 10th April 1917 Miss Martha George of ‘Pendre Inn’ married Isiah Thomas of Llanelli. On 4th July 1921 Mrs. Mary George Thomas, wife of Daniel J. Thomas of the ‘Comercial Hotel’, Pendre, Cardigan, died. She was the daughter of Mrs. George of the ‘Pendre Inn’. On 17th January 1922 Bessie George of Pendre married John Davies of Heolgwyddil, Ferwig. In July 1930 the inn was advertised for sale. In July 1932 Mrs. George advertised the inn for sale or let. In 1933 Mrs. Mary Ann George, landlady, retired and left the inn. In 1933-36 Mrs. Beynon, publican, lived here. On 26th February 1934 former landlady Mrs Mary Ann George, widow of William George, died aged 76.
In February 1935 the ‘Pendre Inn’ was sold to Miss M. Thomas, Y Bryn. On 25th March 1935 it was advertised to let. In October 1936 Ethel Elizabeth Beynon was the licensee. In 1937-46 Elsie Sandalls was the publican. The pub was referred for compensation in March 1937 and March 1938, but remained open. In 1940 Miss Mary Thomas lived here. In 1940-46 Elsie Sandalls’ brother William Sandalls worked here. In December 1944 and February 1945 the property was offered for sale. It was sold in August 1945.
On 16th March 1947 the roof was blown off in a gale. Reginald Popplewell became the licensee that year until 1968. In January 1968 the inn was sold. In 1970 Moira & John Percival were the landlords. On 18th September 1970 it was noted that Mrs. Marjorie Andrew of Bosworth was the new publican. The building was listed in 1994. Renovations were conducted here in 2000.
In 1994 the building was described by CADW:
“…EXTERIOR – C18 inn, possibly earlier, whitewashed rubble stone with imitation slate roof and brick stacks. One and a half storeys. L-plan with projecting gable to right, brick end stacks and ridge stack and W end lean-to. Gable has 12-pane sash each floor with timber lintel and hornless sash to lower window and stone voussoirs and horned sash above. To left, painted brick porch and 12-pane sash to ground floor, projecting slate shelf course at lintel level, and first floor pair of 12-pane sashes breaking eaves under flat dormer. E end service range with brick E stack, slightly lower roof line and 12-pane sash over large casement pair with timber lintel. Outshut rear to main part.
INTERIOR – Porch gives into room behind main stack, former E fireplace removed for access into service range. W room has timber-lintel E side fireplace and some rough joists. Two W side doors into lean-to and a third added…”
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1891; 1901
The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1870; 1877-78; 1880; 1885; 1893; 1912-13; 1917
1921-22; 1927; 1930; 1932; 1934-38; 1940-41; 1943-48; 1961; 1970-72; 1974; 1995- 97; 1999-2000; 2007; 2009
Cardigan Observer 1879.
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Occupiers List of Voters – Cilgerran Parish 19/07/1890; 22/06/1894
Poster – Cilgerran Parish Jury List 13/08/1902
Postcard – Pendre Inn, Cilgerran, Frith c1910
Buildings of Architectural or Historical Interest – Cilgerran, Julian Orbach, CADW,
© Glen K Johnson 30/06/2013