The name means ‘Peninsula Castle’. It is marked as ‘Pendrin Castle’ on the 1838 tithe map. Oliver Lloyd occupied the property in 1846 and that year had a slipway and breakwater constructed at Traeth Bach as a safe anchorage for his steam yacht. In 1851 Mary Evans, 35, servant, lived here with her sister, Ann Richards, 28. On 9th June 1865 the 5 bedroom property was advertised to let with 3 acres. On May 18th 1869 Rosa Rogers of this address was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 39. The property was advertised for sale on 8th April 1873. On 21st June 1873 Penrhyn Castle was sold to John Rees. The building became the Coastguard Station. On November 20th 1874 Henry White of the Coast Guard Station died aged 22. On October 15th 1875 Margaret Smith of the Coastguard Station was buried at St. Dogmaels having died aged 41.
In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas Rees, 43, coastguard; Eleanor J. Rees, 37, his wife; Edith A. Rees, 8, their daughter; Florence A. Rees, 7, daughter; William A. Rees, 6, son; Thomas M. Rees, 3, son; Frederick Rees, 2, son; and Beatrice H. Rees, 1, daughter. On 10th November 1882 rockets and lights from the “Wellington” were seen from here, and answered by Thomas Rees, Coast Guard in charge of the rocket brigade here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Alfred Prowse, 37, coastguard; Mary Prowse, 35, his wife; and Ida M. Prowse, 1, their daughter. In 1894 Henry Voysey lived here. On May 8th 1894 Howard Henry Sinclair Voysey, son of coastguard Henry Voysey of this address, died aged 2 years, 8 months. In late July 1896 the coastguard station was connected to the house by telephone. On 8th September 1897 a daughter was born here to the wife of Mr. Cunningham, Coastguardsman. On 12th June 1898 a chimney stack collapsed during a storm. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Alexander Scott, 40, coastguard (born at Portsmouth); and Margaret Scott, 44, his wife (born in County Durham). Both were English-speaking. On February 11th 1902 Edward Wallace and William Peter Wallace of this address were both buried at St. Thomas’ Church, having both died shortly after birth. On 23rd April 1902 Sir Gerald Noel inspected the watch-house and Penrhyn Castle.
In January 1911 William Bryant moved here with his sons John Bryant (b. 23/09/1892); Fred Bryant (b. 21/03/1898); and Benjamin Bryant (b. 14/03/1903); and Anselm Pryse also moved here with Anselma Pryse (b. 19/10/1900); Mary Ellen Pryse (b. 10/09/1899) and Harry Pryse (b. 04/02/1902). In 1911 the following persons lived here: William Bryant, 43, Coast Guard (b. Somerset); Annie Bryant, 39, his wife (b. Devon) (they married in 1895); William F. Bryant, 14, their son, scholar (b. Cardiff); Frederick Bryant, 12, son, scholar (b. Cornwall, as were all his younger siblings); John Bryant; 8, son, scholar; Benjamin Bryant, 6, son, scholar; Bessie Bryant, 4, daughter; Mary Bryant, 2, daughter; and Tom Bryant, 10 months, son. All were English-speaking. In June 1913 Thomas Whitby lived here with his daughter, Margaret Whitby (b. 16/11/1902), both formerly of Watchet. The property was advertised to let on 8th October 1920. In 1924 William Henry Smale and his family moved here. In 1926 Mr. J. F. Waller was the coast guard here.
On April 30th 1932 Leah Emily Bamsey, 21, daughter of Charley Bamsey, coastguard of this address, married John Griffith Watts of No. 1 Albion Terrace, Cardigan. On 5th September 1934 Miss Violet Barnes, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. F. Barnes of this address, married David T. Phillips of Ten Wells, St. Dogmaels. In July 1938 the Coastguard Station was threatened with closure. Mr. J. Payne was then the Officer in Charge, and had been for some four years. On 10th February 1939 it was agreed that the property would remain a coastguard lookout. In March 1945 Mr. & Mrs. Watkins lived here. In April 1947 and July 1948 the property was advertised for sale and was sold in September 1948 to Mrs. Hills of Brighton. It included a 3-bedrooom house and a separate 2-bedroom dwelling. In 1955 Rev. R. J. Hills was living here. The house became a listed building in 1993.
The house was described by CADW in 1993:
“…Circa 1850 former coastguard station, whitewashed stucco with slate hipped roofs and brick stacks. Two storeys. East front range facing sea has single big canted two-storey bay with 3 large 12-pane sashes below, three smaller 12-pane sashes above. To right, set back, is a N side lean-to with 12-pane sash each floor in E wall, the lower one formerly a door. Red brick stack on N roof slope. S side has large sash to ground floor right, smaller first floor sash to left, then slight projection end left end section with similar window each floor under hipped roof with brick W stack. W entrance front has gabled stuccoed porch with arched doorway and slate roof, and one 12-pane sash above. End of N side lean-to to left with 12-pane sash each floor…”
Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels 1838
Census Returns 1851; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
The Welshman 09/06/1865
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1873; 1894; 1896-98; 1902; 1914; 1920; 1934; 1938-39; 1945;
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1852-85; 1885-1952
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Register of St. Dogmaels Parochial School
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
The History of the Cardigan Lifeboat, Donald Davies 1990
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, CADW 1993
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 22/06/2013.