The name means ‘End of the White Wood’. On 22nd October 1580 a piece of land here passed from Thomas Revell of Forest to Robert Vaughan of Glandovan. It may have been for this property that David Parry was assessed for two hearths in the Hearth Tax of 1670. The Parry family owned Penwenallt in 1694. In the C18 it was a gentry house called ‘Plas Penwenallt’. In November 1752 Anne & George Morgan lived here. On 31st October 1774 John Parry of Penwenallt became a burgess of Cardigan. On 29th June 1775 Lewis Parry, son of David Parry of Penwenallt, was buried at Cilgerran Church. In September 1780 Mr. Parry of Penwenallt was buried at Cilgerran Church. On 28th May 1783 reference was made to Margaret Parry of Cardigan, widow of John Parry of Penwenallt. In 1786-88 Evan Parry was the owner and occupier. Thomas Rhys Davies, later a Baptist minister, was born here on 19th May 1790. In 1790-1803 Thomas Parry, one of the Parry family of Portheiddy, owned Penwenallt and leased it to David Davies.
In 1823-38 Penwenallt belonged to Richard Matthias of Castle Cenlas, Mathry. On 7th August 1830 David Davies of Penwenallt wrote his will. He referred to his wife Mary Davies; son David Davies; daughter Phoebe Davies; son Josuah Davies; and daughter Lettice Davies. The original house can be seen on an 1838 estate map and on the 1838 Tithe map. On 6th December 1838 Letitia Davies, daughter of David Davies, farmer of Penwenallt, married James Thomas of Cardigan. The house was offered for sale in 1843, but seems to have remained unsold, being owned by Letitia Jones of Castle Cenlas and Stoke Newington in 1856-74. In 1851-66 Griffith Thomas lived here. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Griffith Thomas, 53; Elizabeth Thomas, 47, his wife; Sarah Thomas, 14, daughter; Corbetta Thomas, 13, daughter; Eleanor Thomas, 12, daughter; Sarah Owens, 26, house servant; Hannah Davies, 19, house servant; and Alban Owens, 20, farm servant. On 28th November 1857 Elizabeth Thomas, wife of Griffith Thomas, died aged 53. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Griffith Thomas, 61, farmer of 65 acres; Sarah Thomas, 26, his daughter; Isabella Thomas, 22, daughter; Eleanor Thomas, 17, daughter; Mr. ? Johnston, 19, carter; Thomas Griffiths, 18, carter; David Elias, 14, carter; and Hannah Jones, 12, cowgirl.
In 1863-75 Rowland Vaulke farmed and occupied Penwenallt. On 26th June 1863 Elizabeth Corbetta Vaulke, daughter of Rowland & Sarah Vaulke of Penwenallt, was baptised at Cilgerran Church. On 2nd April 1867 James Evans of Clos, Bridell, married Corbetta Thomas, daughter of Griffith Thomas of Penwenallt. On 21st May 1871 John Griffith Vaulke, son of Rowland & Sarah Vaulke, was baptised at Cilgerran Church. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Rowland Vaulke, 35, farmer; Sarah Vaulke, 34, his wife; Elizabeth Corbetta Vaulke, 8, daughter; William George Vaulke, 5, son; Mary Ellen Vaulke, 2, daughter; John Griffith Vaulke, 3 weeks, son; Phoebe Thomas, 22, dairy maid; and Ann James, 12, servant. On 14th September 1873 Margaret anne Vaulke, daughter of Rowland & Sarah Vaulke of Penwenallt, was baptised at Cilgerran Church.
On 5th March 1889 Lucy Davies, daughter of William & Emma Davies of Penwenallt, was baptised at Cilgerran Church. William Davies lived here in 1889-94. Arthur Davies lived here in 1889-1926. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William Davies, 55, farmer; Emma Davies, 52, his wife; Mary M. Davies, 24, their daughter; Arthur Davies, 22, son; Sarah Ann Davies, 20, daughter; Rees Davies, 17, son; and Lucy Davies, 16, daughter. On 27th July 1893 Arthur Davies, 24, of Penwenallt, son of Willliam Davies, married Sarah Anne Davies of Hafod. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Arthur Davies, 31, farmer (b. Camrose, bilingual); Sarah Anne Davies, 35, his wife (b. Nevern, bilingual); David Davies, 7, their son (b. Carmarthenshire, bilingual); Louisa A. Davies, 5, daughter (b. Cilgerran, Welsh-speaking); James Davies, 4, son (b. Cilgerran, Welsh-speaking); Mary Richards, 15, servant (b. St. Dogmaels, Welsh-speaking); and John Jones, 55, servant, Welsh-speaking. Arthur John Davies designed a manually operated hay-turning machine. In August 1903 tenders were sought for building
a new stable and chaff-room at Penwenallt. In 1916-22 James Rees Davies lived here.
In 1921 Charles Edward Davies conveyed Penwenallt to Arthur Davies and his wife of Penwenallt. On 18th July 1922 Mrs. Sarah Anne Davies, wife of Arthur Davies of Penwenallt, died. On 4th June 1927 Johnny A. Davies, son of Mr. Davies of Penwenallt, married Miss Mary H. Jones, youngest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Jones of Rhosygilwen. In June 1938 Penwenallt was advertised for sale with 161 acres. In June 1939 the property was sold. On 4th October 1939 there was a clear-out sale here for former owner Mrs. A. Davies. In May 1945 the 150 acre property was advertised for sale. It was sold in August 1945. On 4th October 1945 R. C. Richards, having sold the property, held a clear-out sale here.
In 1947-72 the Williams family lived here. On 25th May 1972 there was a clear-out sale of stock and implements here. An extension was added to the house in 1992. In 1994 it became a listed building.
In 1994 the farmhouse was described by CADW:
“…EXTERIOR – Earlier to mid C19 farmhouse in rubble stone with slate roof and stone end stacks. Two-storey three-window front, offset to right. 16-pane hornless sashes with cut-stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre half-glazed door with similar head. Outshut rear. S side ground floor C20 matching window. SW 1992 rear wing.
Front garden enclosed by low rubble stone walls…”
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MS 276
Hearth Tax List for Pembrokeshire 1670
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office: – Abstracts of Wills 1752; 1830
Land Tax Lists for Cilgerran 1786-1803
Tithe Map – Cilgerran Parish 1838
Cilgerran Parish Registers
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1891
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Occupiers List of Voters – Cilgerran Parish 19/07/1890; 22/06/1894
Poster – Cilgerran Parish Jury List 13/08/1902
Hanes Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Penuel, Cilgerran, W Morris & Rev D J Michael, B A,
Poster – Sale of stock, Penwenallt 04/10/1939
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893; 1903; 1916; 1922; 1927; 1938-39; 1945;
1947; 1972; 1992; 1994-95
Babell Cilgerran – Annual Report 1952
The Place-Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cilgerran, Julian Orbach, CADW
Tom Mathias, John Williams-Davies 1995
© Glen K Johnson 30/06/2013