In 1867-71 William Morris, a carpenter, was the landlord of the Penybryn Arms. In 1875-91 Sarah Morris, the widow of William Morris, was the publican. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Sarah Morris, aged 64, widow, a licensed victualler; and Mary Hannah Thomas, aged 12, a servant. On 27th December 1891 Sarah Morris of the Penybryn Arms, the widow of William Morris, died aged 80. In 1895 Phoebe Williams was the landlady. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Titus Morgans, aged 34, the innkeeper (b. Glamorgan); Phoebe Morgans, aged 34, his wife (b. Tremain); and John Morgans, aged 2 months, their son (b. Bridell). The household was bilingual. In 1901-04 Titus Morgans was the landlord. In August 1904 the property was advertised to let.
In 1904-12 Miss Sarah E. Williams was the landlady. In 1912-20 Miss Adeline ‘Addie’ Williams was the publican. In 1920 Benjamin Davies moved here with his wife – Mary Ann Davies, from the nearby Bridell Inn. They had a son named David (“Dai”) John Davies. In 1920 Mrs. Mary Ann Davies became the publican until 1960. On 8th October 1921 Benjamin Davies died aged 48. The property was sold by auction by the Swansea Old Brewery to the tenants on 30th May 1924. David (“Dai”) John Davies (b. 1909) lived here in 1932-82. On 23rd January 1943 a daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. J. Edwards of this address. On 12th February 1949 Ceridwen Mair James of the Penybryn Arms, married Anthony Michael Beale of Newtown. On 2nd April 1955 Elizabeth Iris James, the daughter of John Llewelyn James of the Penybryn Arms, married Kelson Frederick Ralph Rown of Dorset. In May 1960 Mrs. Mary Ann Davies of this address, a publican since 1911, died aged 86 and was Pembrokeshire’s oldest licensee.
In 1960 Dai & Winnie Davies became the landlords. Dai Davies was the son of the late Benjamin and Mary Ann Davies, who moved here in 1920. In August 1982 Dai and Winnie Davies retired as landlords here. In 1982-84 Vaughan and Ann Davies, formerly of the “Ship Inn”, Pendre, Cardigan, were the landlords. In 1983-87 Sian and Nicola Davies lived here. In 1998 Malcolm and Kath Allan were the proprietors. In 2002 Mr. and Mrs. David Tysoe were the landlords. In January 2007 the pub was advertised for sale. In 2011 John and Jenny Freeman were the publicans. The pub is still operational.
Ca 1880’s public house in roughcast with slate gabled roof with red brick end stacks. Two storey 3 window façade with ground floor centre matching porch with gabled front, roughcast walls and slate roof. Timber door. All other openings are 4-pan horned sashes with rusticated surrounds and cambered heads in raised stucco. Small post box to left of left window. Small forecourt with low coped wall. Single storey small lean-to to façade right with single window, 6-pane replaced in plastic. Large gabled rear extension to right with modern window to gable facing road, set back behind lean-to. Painted cement render. Interior has some exposed beams.
Worrall’s Directory of South Wales 1875
Census Returns 1891; 1901
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1904; 1921; 1924; 1932; 1936; 1943; 1957-58; 1960; 2007
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1926
Post Office Telephone Directory 1940, 1950; 1953; 1955
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Bridell Parish Register
O S Map 1953 etc.
Western Telegraph 1982
Annual Report – Penybryn Chapel 1982-83; 1983-84; 1984-85; 1985-86; 1987
Programme – Cilgerran Horticultural Show 2002
The Phone Book 2003
Cilgerran Coracle No 27, Summer 2011.
(c) Glen K Johnson 14/12/2014