The name means ‘Lawrence Place’. In 1786-94 William Phillips owned Plas Lawrence and John Hugh lived here. In 1796-1803 Evan James was the tenant. On 3rd January 1816 Thomas James of Plas Lawrence was buried at Monington, having died aged 60. On 19th July 1818 William Thomas, son of John & Margaret Thomas of Plaslawrence, was baptised at Monington Church, as were their other children: Griffith Thomas, on 5th November 1820; John Thomas on 6th June 1822; and Anne Thomas on 16th May 1824. In 1828 Mr. Davies lived here. In 1838 William Henry Davies and his wife, Mary Davies, of Bridell, and Frances & Margaret James, owned the property. It was leased with 118 acres to Samuel James. In 1841 the following persons lived here: David Phillips, 25; Mary Phillips, 20; David Phillips, 18 months; Jonathan Phillips, 6; Servants – Thomas Thomas, 20; Mr. Williams, 15; Mary, 25; Elizabeth James, 20; and Ellenor Williams, 15. On 28th November 1844 it reverted to William Henry Davies and Mary Davies, nee’ James, daughter of Thomas James, the previous owner.
On 12th January 1849 William Morris, son of John & Margaret Morris of Plas Lawrence, died aged 32. In 1851 the following persons lived here: John Morris, 66, farmer of 115 acres; Margaret Morris, 62, his wife; Hannah Morris, 22, their daughter; and David Morris, 20, their son. On February 2nd 1860 Daniel Daniel, 25, farm servant of this address, married Lydia George. In 1861 the following persons lived here: John Morris, 70, farmer of 115 acres; Margaret Morris, 74, his wife; David Morris, 34, their son; and Hannah Morris, 31, their daughter; plus a lodger – John James, 60. In May 1865 the property was offered for sale by auction including lands formerly known as Velin Fach, occupied by the widow, Mrs. Morris. In 1871 the property was home to David Morris, 42; his sister, Hannah Morris, 44; and servants Thomas Thomas, 44; and Martha Rees, 22.
In 1872 Thomas Jones acquired the property. In 1872-1903 Thomas Jones was the farmer. In 1877 Mr. Jones lived here with his son John Jones (b. January 1872). In 1881 the following persons lived here: Thomas Jones, 36, farmer of 118 acres; Ann Jones, 36, his wife; John Jones, 11, their son; Frances Daniel, 17, servant; and Thomas Evans, 15, farm servant. On 17th October 1884 the property was advertised for sale. In the late 1880’s the occupants were: Thomas Jones, Amy Jones and John Jones. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Thomas Jones, 44, farmer; Amy Jones, 46, his wife; John Jones, 21, their son; and Oliver Davies, 15, servant. On October 29th 1893 Thomas Jones became a Deacon of Blaenywaun, St. Dogmaels. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas Jones, 56, farmer (b. Llangolman); Anne Jones, 56, his wife (b. Llanycefn); John Jones, 31, their son (b. Llanycefn, bilingual); Mary Anne James, 32, house-maid (b. Moylegrove); and Eynon J. James, 16, farm servant (b. St. Dogmaels. The household was Welsh-speaking except where indicated otherwise. In 1903 Thomas Jones of Monington owned Waunsegyr Isaf, St. Dogmaels, and had Lawrence Villa built on land there. John Jones then took over the farm here in 1904. He retired in 1918. In September 1918 the property was advertised to let and on 14th October 1918 John Jones held a clearance sale here.
In 1926-37 Daniel Owen Thomas lived here. In 1932 Daniel Thomas died aged 83. On 20th June 1935 Annie Elizabeth Thomas, only daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Owen Thomas, married William Reynolds Thomas of New Mill, Cardigan. On 20th September 1935 there was a sale of crops here for Daniel Owen Thomas, who was leaving. In 1937-38 Mr. & Mrs. Hugh Jones lived here. In June 1941 the 136 acre property was advertised for sale. In June 1947 David Hugh Jones of this address died. In August 1947 the property was advertised for sale with 4-bedroom farmhouse and 136 acres. On 15th October 1947 there was a clear-out sale here. In 1957 Mr. C. Cawdel lived here. In 1966 Charles James (“Gus”) Goldsmith and his wife, Elizabeth “Betty” Goldsmith, moved here with their family. They built a new bungalow overlooking the original farmhouse. In 1986 Gus Goldsmith retired and sold the property. The house including bee-boles in the front garden wall, was made a listed building in 1992.
The house was described by CADW in 1992:
“…Early C19 farmhouse in whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs and stone end stacks, larger to right. Two-storey, three-window front of 12-pane sashes, the upper windows under eaves, the lower windows and centre door with cambered painted stone voussoirs. Stone sills. 4-panel door. Largely collapsed rear had outshuts each side of centre stair gable, the outshut roofs gone and the gable end collapsed. S end wall is slate hung. N end attached outbuilding with asbestos roof, six-bay front.
Simple dog-leg stair in rear of house, interior sawn pine timbers.
Two beeboles in overgrown S embankment wall of front garden.
In derelict condition at time of inspection (1991)…”
Parish Registers for Monington
Land Tax Lists for Monington 1786-1803
Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/17
Tithe Map of Monington Parish 1838
NLW Morgan & Richardson MS 2383
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891
Marriage Register – St. Dogmaels 1837-1970
The Welshman, 26/05/1865
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1884; 1893; 1909; 1918; 1932; 1934-35; 1937-38; 1940-41; 1947;
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun, St. Dogmaels 1891
The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Nevern, Julian Orbach, CADW, 1993
Tivy-Side Advertiser 1997.
(c) Glen K Johnson 24/06/2013