The name means ‘Saxon’s Hollow’. A Neolithic chambered tomb formerly stood in a field near here, called “Parc-y-gromlech”. On 13th July 1614 Thomas Lloyd occupied the house here, which was probably a Tudor building. In 1615 Thomas William Lloyd, yeoman, lived here. In 1619 Pantsaeson was referred to in the Will of John Rowlands. In 1670 William Rowland was assessed at two hearths here for the hearth tax. On 6th June 1687 William Rowland wrote his will, referring to his son – John Rowland. On 6th July 1708 Thomas Rowland received certain properties in St. Dogmaels from John Rowland of that parish.
On 28th February 1722 William James married Mary Rowland of Pantsaeson and took up residence. On 15th September 1723 Thomas Rowland of Pantsaeson wrote his will, referring to his eldest daughter, Mary James – wife of William James, and his youngest daughter – Anne. Probate was made in 1727. In 1752 the estate farmhouse was built and dated for William & Mary James. Outbuildings were erected in 1764. In 1766 William James was the owner. On 11th June 1769 a number of local men were accused of breaking into a close belonging to William James, treading down the grass and driving away his cattle. William Lloyd, gent, one of the accused, was also said to have broken down a gate and gate-post. On 23rd February 1774 William James of Pantsaeson became a burgess of Cardigan. On 18th March 1774 Thomas James of Pantsaeson became a burgess of Cardigan. In 1779 a coach-house and stables were built for William & Margaret James.
Reference was made on 18th June 1784 to William James of Narberth, eldest son and heir to William James of Pantsaeson by Margaret James, his wife. On 9th April 1787 Thomas James of Pantsaeson was accused of assault at Moylegrove by William James and was made to pay a small fine. On 10th December 1789 Thomas James lived here. In 1797-1802 William James was the owner and occupier. In 1799 Col. John James of Pantsaeson fought a duel, on the field called “Fortune’s Frolic”, either on the estate or at Haverfordwest, and killed his opponent, Samuel Simmons Fortune, and had to flee to the continent. Samuel Simons Fortune died of his wounds, leading the coroner to pass a verdict of wilful murder. The act must later have been pardoned, as John James returned years later and became a Colonel in the Pembrokeshire militia. On 10th September 1800 William James of Pantsaeson wrote his will. He referred to his late wife Margaret James; his son Rev. John James; son Thomas James; and younger children not named.
On 22nd December 1800 reference was made to Thomas James of Pantsaeson. On 19th April 1803 probate was granted on the will of William James of Pantsaeson. John James and Thomas James were the owners and Thomas James was the occupier of Pantsaeson. On 21st October 1809 Thomas James, son of Thomas James, of Pantsaeson, wrote his will. On 22nd May 1810 Thomas James of Pantsaeson held shares in the ship ‘Denio’ of Cardigan. On 31st October 1812 John Taubman William James was born here. In 1812-86 John Taubman William James lived here. On 6th October 1812 John James of Pantsaeson became a burgess of Cardigan. On 19th June 1814 Dorothy Elizabeth Bateman James was born here to Mr. & Mrs. John James. In 1817 Benjamin James lived here. On 26th May 1818 John Taubman William James, son of John James & Margaret Christina Taubman James of Pantsaeson, was baptised at Monington Church, together with his sister – Dorothy Elizabeth Bateman James. In 1819 Col. John James died aged 37 and was buried at Monington Church on 4th June 1819. On 3rd October 1819 Mark Wilks William James, son of John & Margaret C. T. James of Pantsaeson, was baptised at Monington Church. In 1820 probate was made of the will of John James of Pantsaeson. On 28th May 1822 William Henry David rented Pantsaeson from the executors of the late Mr. James for 11 years at £224 per annum. On 6th June 1822 Elizabeth Neil Davis, daughter of Mary & William Henry Davis, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. On 18th October 1823 Frances Davis, daughter of Mary & William H. Davis, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. On 15th August 1825 Margaret Davis, daughter of Mary & William H. Davis, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. On 1st May 1829 William Henry Thomas Davis, son of Mary & William H. Davis, was baptised at St. Mary’s Church, Cardigan. On 3rd May 1833 Elizabeth Jones wrote her will, indicating that she was living here at that time. She referred to her daughter Letitia Davies; grandson Griffith John Jenkins; grandson Richard David Jenkins – a minor; grand-daughter Elizabeth Mary Jenkins; grand-daughter Ann Jenkins; grand-daughter May Jenkins; grandson Thomas Davies; grand-daughter Elizabeth Davies; grandson John Davies; and daughter Ann Jenkins.
On 6th May 1834 the estate was advertised for sale. In 1836 work began on a new mansion called “Plas Pantsaeson” for John Taubman William James, probably to designs by William Owen of Haverfordwest. In 1838 J. T. W. James held 280 acres here. No outbuildings are indicated on the tithe map. On 16th May 1838 Mrs. Margaret James of Pantsaeson was buried at Monington Church, having died aged 60. On 9th August 1839 William Parry James, son of J. T. W. James and Margaret Elizabeth James of Pantsaeson, was baptised at Monington Church. On 28th April 1841 John Alexander James, son of the same couple, was baptised at the same place. In 1841 the following persons lived here: John Taubman William James, 28; Margaret Elizabeth James, his wife, 28; William Parry James, 1, their son; John Alexander James, 4 months, son; E E Jones Parry; Servants – James Davies, 20; Joseph Morgan, 25; Mary Roberts, 40; Esther Phillips, 30; Elizabeth Griffith, 25; James Llewelyn, 50, cabinet-maker; Thomas Rogers, 15, cabinet-maker; and Caroline Evans, 15. The Outhouse was the home of Benjamin James, 65; Frances James, 65; and Mary Thomas, 20. Garden House was occupied by David Davies, 25, gardener; Anne Davies, 25; Elizabeth Davies, daughter; Mary Davies, 2; and Thomas Davies, 1. On 7th September 1843 Dora Emily James and Margaret Ellen James, daughters of Mr. & Mrs. J. T. W. James of Pantsaeson, were baptised at Monington Church. On 30th November 1844 their brother, Robert Lloyd James, was baptised at the same place. On 15th April 1845 John, illegitimate son of servant John Davies of Pantsaeson and Elizabeth Owens of Bridge End, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels.
In 1851 the following persons lived at Plas Pantsaeson: John Taubman William James, 35; Margaret Elizabeth James, his wife, 35; Dora Emily James, 7, their daughter; Margaret Ellen James, 7, daughter; and Robert Lloyd James, 6, son; with 7 servants – William Morgan, 24, stable servant; David John, 15, errand boy; Sarah Thomas, 58, cook; Margaret Jones, 29, upper nurse; Mary Davis, 19, house maid; Sarah Thomas, 21, dairy maid; and Ann Fletcher, 13, under-nurse. In 1851 probate was made of the will of Benjamin James of Pantsaeson Lodge, town bailiff. He left his estate to his widow, Frances (“Fanny”) James. In January 1859 William Parry James was buried at Monington Church, having died aged 19. J. T. W. James assisted in organising the visit to Cardigan in August 1859 of the Cambrian Archaeological Association. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Plas Pantsaeson: John Taubman William James, 48; Margaretta Elizabeth James, 48, his wife; Dora Emily James, 17, their daughter; Margaret Ellen James, 17, daughter; Georgina Jones Percy, 37, sister-in-law, fund-holder; Sidney Jones Percy, 31, brother-in-law, Captain of the Madras Fusiliers; Jane Allen, 62, governess; James Moore, 21, servant; Elizabeth Day, 20, housemaid; Anne Jones, 30, housemaid; and Anne Jones, 37, dairy-maid. Pantsaeson Lodge: Mary James, 37, charwoman, widow; Margaret James, 15, her daughter; John James, 13, her son; and Hannah James, 7, her daughter. Pantsaeson Garden Cottage: John Davies, 31, gardener; and Elizabeth Davies, 41, his wife.
In 1863 Thomas Harman Brenchley of Pantsaeson and Glaneirw, married Emily Sarah Vaugan, daughter of Herbert Vaughan of Plas Llangoedmor. On 17th January 1863 Miss De Winton lived here. On 26th July 1865 Dora Emily James of Pantsaeson was buried at Monington Church. In 1868 Thomas B. W. James lived here. On 8th July 1870 J. T. W. James presided over a meeting to discuss repairs to Cardigan Bridge. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Plas Pantsaeson: John Taubman William James, 58, Margaret Elizabeth James, 58, his wife, and their servants – John Harries, 48, coachman; Ann Williams, 29, cook; Charlotte Hughes, 22, parlour maid; Mary Williams, 36, house maid; and Ann Williams, 27, dairy maid; Ty’r Iet: James James, 68, widower, labourer; Anne James, 32, his daughter; and Hannah Thomas, 12, his grand-daughter; Garden House: David James, 45, gardener; Mary James, 51, his wife; Margaret James, 12, their daughter; Hannah James, 8, daughter; and William James, 4, son; Lodge – Mary James, 49, widow. In 1871 Robert James of Pantsaeson was the ‘best man’ to David Griffith Davies, Castle Green (Cardigan Castle). In 1872 William Frederick Lloyd James of Pantsaeson, was born. In 1875-80 J. T. W. James was Chairman of the Cardigan Board of Guardians. In 1875 Thomas Nicholas wrote:-
“…This family [James] has been resident at and in possession of Pantsaison beyond any record to the contrary. There is a tradition in the family that there were thirteen William James’s in succession before the last two Johns :- Col. John James (d. 1819), and John T W James (b.1812), but it does not seem to have had very extensive possessions or to have arrogated to itself a place among the chief families of the county…At the west end of Pantsaison there is a scarped earthwork…The present house of Pantsaison is of the Italian villa style, and was built in the year 1836. Two or three (probably more) successive houses have been standing on or near the same spot…”
On 29th November 1878 Mr. James held a timber sale here. On 15th February 1881 Miss Hannah Davies, 24, housemaid, married Charles Ladd of Trewidwal, St. Dogmaels. In 1881 the following persons lived here: Plas Pantsaeson: John Taubman William James, 68; Margaret Elizabeth James, 68, his wife; Margaret Ellen James, 37, their daughter; William Frederick Lloyd James, 7, their grandson; Mary Elen James, 6, grand-daughter; Margaret ?Collingwood?, 29, cousin; Mary Hannah Smith, 17, governess; Benjamin Peregrine, 37, butler; Enoch Rees, 28, coachman; Ann Williams, 22, cook; Francess Jones, 19, housemaid; and Francess Elizabeth Marshall, 24, dairy maid; Garden House: David James, 56, gardener; Mary James, 61, his wife; and William James, 14, their son; Ty’riet: William Morgan, 33, labourer; Margaret Morgan, 32, his wife; William Morgan, 9, their son; Anne Morgan, 4, daughter; and Hannah Morgan, 4 months, daughter; Pantsaeson Lodge: Mary James, 37, widow, lodge keeper; and Hannah James, 27, her daughter, house servant. On 23rd December 1881 Margaret Elizabeth James, wife of J. T. W. James, died aged 68. She was buried at Monington Church a week later. On 7th May 1883 Enoch Rees, coachman, married Elizabeth Marchant, both were servants here. In October 1883 William Morgan lived at Ty’riet, with his children William James Morgan (b. May 1872), Anne Morgan (b. November 1876) and David Morgan (b. 18th June 1879). J T W James was a Guardian of the Poor in 1885. On 31st March 1886 John Taubman William James was buried at Monington Church having died aged 73. On 2nd December 1886 Robert Lloyd James of Pantsaeson was buried at Monington Church, having died aged 42. On 17th December 1886 there was a sale of effects here.
There was a sale of timber here on 11th November 1887. In the late 1880’s Mr. D. James and his wife, Margaret James, lived in the gardener’s house. Benjamin Peregrine and William Morgan also lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Mansion: Sarah George, 44, widow, house-keeper; John George, 18, her son; Hannah Mary George, 14, her daughter; Tom Claude George, 12, son; and Frederick George, 9, son. Lodge: Mary James, 68, widow; and Mary Jane James, 19, her grand-daughter; Farm: William Saunders Davies, 35, farmer; Margaret Davies, 35, his wife; Beatrice Matilda Davies, 4, their daughter; Leah Mary Davies, 3, daughter; Elizabeth James, 52, domestic servant; Ellen Price, 22, servant; and William George, 15, farm servant. On 28th July 1894 William Frederick Lloyd James, son of the late Robert Lloyd James, heir to Plas Pantsaeson, came of age. In 1897 Mary Thomas, 75, of the lodge, received relief from the Cardigan Union due to her old age. Mr. & Miss Lloyd James and John Johns (farm) lived here in 1898. On 24th March 1899 William Frederick Lloyd James had to shoot dead a raging bull here.
In 1901 the following persons lived here: Farm: John Johns, 36, groom (b. Whitchurch); Margaret Johns, 37, his wife (b. Whitchurch); Auctavia Johns, 17, their daughter, domestic servant (b. St. Dogmaels); Maria Lizzie Johns, 14, daughter, domestic servant (b. St. Dogmaels); and Llewelyn Johns, 1 month, grandson (b. St. Dogmaels). The household was bilingual; Lodge: Mary James, 76 (b. Llangoedmor); and Mary Jane James, 20, daughter, dairymaid (b. Monington). Both were Welsh-speaking; Plas – William Frederick Lloyd James, 27 (b. Bangor); Mary Ellen James, 26, his sister, (b. Bangor); Ethel Rose Edwards, 25, visitor (b. London); Martha Williams, 26, housemaid (b. Monington); and Frances Ann Gwynne, 21, cook (b. Moylegrove). The staff were bilingual and the rest of the household spoke English only. On 5th June 1902 reference was made to Pantgwyn as being part of the estate. William Frederick Lloyd James was still the occupier. On 8th May 1905 there was an attempted robbery at the property, which was rented and occupied by Colonel Weston. On 19th May 1905 the following appeared in the ‘Pembrokeshire Herald‘:
“…Pantsaeson Plate Robbery. PRISONERS COMMITTED FOR TRIAL. At Newport, Pembroke., Petty Sessions on Tuesday, Albert Schall, ex-indoor servant at Pantsaeson, near Cardigan, was brought up in custody charged with stealing silver goods of the value of £200 on the 8th of May. Johann Convalzceech was charged with aiding and abetting Schall. Mrs Weston, wife of Colonel Weston, tenant of the mansion, said she engaged Schall through a registry at London, as indoor servant, and on Monday May 1st, she gave him charge of the silver plate which was in use. On Monday, the 8th, she entered the dining-room just before 8 o’clock, o’clock, expecting to see the table laid for breakfast as usual. The other servants not having seen anything of Schall, she went to his room, fearing he was ill, but he was not there, and subsequently she discovered he had decamped with the silver from the dining and drawing-rooms, the doors of which were open, as well as that of the sideboard. P.C. Lewis, St. Dogmells, traced the prisoners to Rosebush Station, and Detective William Clarke, Reading, deposed to arresting them at Reading in the up train from Cardiff on the evening of the Monday, they having all the property with them. Schall then admitted having stolen it, but the other man endeavoured to escape. Colonel Weston said that Schall displayed ex- pert knowledge in discriminating between the real metal and the plated articles, because every solid piece had been taken, even his cigarette- case. All the articles were displayed in court, several of them bearing evidence of rough treatment, an embossed Indian flower bowl being flattened out of its original shape. Prisoners were committed for trial at the Haverfordwest Assizes, to be held next week, Convalzceech declared his innocence. Count Victor Claver de Berensberg, Haverfordwest, acted as interpreter…”
On 21st September 1905 and September 1912 part of the estate, including the farms of Bryncws and Foxhill, St. Dogmaels, was sold off. In February 1909 Captain Hulse lived here. In August 1912 the 116 acre Pantsaeson Farm was offered to let. On 9th June 1913 Anthony Bryn James, only son of Mr. W. F. L. James, died aged 2 of meningitis. In 1915 William Frederick Lloyd James was still the owner. On 9th December 1915 Mary James of Pantsaeson Lodge died aged 93.
In 1916 Frederick George Robertson-Williams bought the Plas. In 1916-26 Mr. & Mrs. Robertson-Williams lived here. On 2nd March 1916 a daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. F. G. Roberston-Williams of Plas Pantsaeson. In 1925 the Royal Commission noted that:
“…a farmyard and building of no archaeological import occupies the site of old Pantsaison house. The property has been in the James family for many generations…”
In 1926 the house was described as ‘…a handsome mansion in the Italian style…’ Reference was made to an earthwork nearby named ‘Castell-ion’. In 1934 Mrs Robertson-Williams and Ioan Williams lived here. On February 23rd 1940 James Lewis of the Garden Cottage was buried at St. Dogmaes having died on 19th February 1940 aged 54. At about that time a bomb-shelter was dug near the mansion. In 1941 Ioan P. B. Robertson-Williams lived here. In 1944 Gwilym Davies lived at the farm. On 12th January 1945 Brychan Frederick George Robertson-Williams of the Plas, died aged 75. In January 1947 Mrs Jerry Williams, dress-maker, lived in Ty’r Ardd. On 5th February 1947 Jennifer Nest Robertson-Williams was buried at Monington Church, having died aged 1 month. In 1949-53 Gwilym Davies lived at the farm. In July 1949 Gwilym Davies became a Deacon of Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel, St. Dogmaels.
In 1950-55 Ioan Robertson-Williams, solicitor, lived at the Plas. On 28th October 1950 Miss Alice Matilda (“Mallt”) Williams of Plas Pantsaeson died aged 83. On 2nd February 1952 Hylda Marguerite Robertson-Williams, widow of Brychan Frederick George Robertson-Williams of the Plas, died aged 72. In 1953 J. Robertson-Williams, solicitor, lived at the Plas. In 1955 Daniel L Pope lived in Ty’r Ardd. On 20th April 1962 Pantsaeson Farm was advertised for sale with a 6-bedroom house and 124 acres. On 27th October 1965 there was a clear-out sale held here.
In 2011 Pantsaeson Farm was advertised for sale.
In 1992 the listed buildings here were described by CADW:
“…PLAS PANTSAESON – Circa 1836 country house, said to have been built for J T W James possibly by William Owen of Haverfordwest. [There are design similarities to Avallenau House, Pembrokeshire, and some similarities to Scolton Manor]. Stucco classical style with slate hipped roofs, extensive and plainer rear parts probably of later date. Main front has two-storey five-window elevation with pair of rendered ridge stacks. Heavy plain first floor stepped band and moulded eaves cornice. Windows are 12-pane sashes, plain below, with pediments on console brackets above, the pediments possibly a later addition. Centre is broken forward with blocking course over cornice and centre shield between scroll supporters. Paired Ionic pilasters each side of first floor window and ground floor broad double doors with sidelights and big small-paned overlight. Door is within fine projecting Doric porch with triglyph and mutule cornice and paired Roman Doric columns to front, single pilaster responds within. Slate steps up. Plain five-window W side elevation, unpainted render with band and first floor pediments as on main front, and then a three-window N front is similar. The three ranges enclose a narrow service court with tall arched stair-light to one side.
INTERIOR – Centralised plan with broad spine hall, then elliptical arch to stair hall set to rear right, stone flagged with two-flight stone curved cantilever staircase and stick balusters. 6-panel doors and plaster cornices to main rooms.
PANTSAESON FARMHOUSE – C18 and C19 estate farmhouse in rubble stone, roughcast to front, with asbestos roof, stone ridge stack and E end stack to rear wing. Two-storey four-window front with long 9-pane sashes above and long 12-pane sashes below, except French window in right end opening. Roof is hipped at NW angle. House was divided and given two arched stair lights, the one in main rear wall to left has been removed and reinstated in N front of rear wing, where an arch in adjoining stonework indicates position of a previous stair light. Wing has 9-pane sash each side of stair light, off-centre door below with 12-pane sash to left and 16-pane window to right. Windows mostly renewed. Rear of wing is outshut.
In front wall, next to second ground floor window is small plaque ‘WIM 1752’ for W. and M. James, that is probably reset from an earlier building; this may indicate C18 origins for a building which in character is otherwise earlier C19.
COACH-HOUSE AND STABLE – Dated 1779, coach-house and stable built for W. and M. James of Pantsaeson. Blue lias squared stone with asbestos and corrugated iron roof. Single-storey seven-bay front with three central camber-headed coach entries, recessed voussoirs and flush keystones, the centre arch slightly higher and with pedimental gable above pierced by single circular opening. Centre plaque ‘WJM 1779’. Left coach entry is blocked. Flanking centre bays are outer stable door and window, similar each side, with cambered heads, voussoirs and keystones. Outside stairs at W end to loft door, two arched recesses under stairs. 8-bay loft roof with pegged collar trusses. Lean-to rear.
OUTSIDE KITCHEN AT PANTSAESON FARM – C19 outside kitchen in rubble stone with slate roof and red brick end stack. Single storey small building with gable-end door and window with cambered brick heads and N side similar window.
INTERIOR – Timber lintel fireplace within and smoke-blackened roof.
BARN AT PANTSAESON FARM – Late C18 or early C19 barn in rubble stone with corrugated iron roof. Small door with cambered stone-voussoir head to right on S side, and matching door on opposite N side. N side has row of dove holes over door and two vent loops to right. E end has lean-to cart-shed, projecting out to N and dove holes in E end gable. S side has lean-to addition.
INTERIOR – 7-bay pegged collar-truss roof.
TWO RANGES OF LINKED OUTBUILDINGS AT PANTSAESON FARM – C18, possibly rebuilt c1830-40. Two long ranges of stables and stalls linked by archway at SW angle. Rubble stone with slate, asbestos or corrugated iron to roofs.
South range has 1764 date and has six doors with cut stone voussoirs to cambered heads and keystones and six small windows interspersed between, except between two centre doors, all with similar stone heads. Paired stone dove-holes under eaves. Rear loops and E end cart-entry with cambered stone arch. At W end, attached without structural division, is gabled archway with ball finial and elliptical-arched head matching openings of W range.
W range has regular front of seven elliptical-arched openings with cut-stone voussoirs and keystones, three doors and four windows alternately arranged, and above is a band of 21 pairs of dove-holes. N end wall has dove-holes in gable, loft window and door to ground floor right and S end has matching door and dove-holes. Single undivided interior…”
Hearth Tax List for Pembrokeshire 1670
NLW Morgan & Richardson MSs 1954; 2375; 2023; 2102; 2129
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Pembrokeshire Record Office - Abstracts of Wills 1723; 1833
Parish Register of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Land Tax Lists for Monington 1786-1803
Ledger of David Davies, Bridge, Cardigan 1830
Tithe Map of Monington Parish 1838
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales & Monmouthshire 1844; 1875; 1926
Baptism Register of St. Dogmaels 1813-1858
Archaeologia Cambrensis III, Vol. V 1860; 1864
The History of Cilgerran, J R Phillips 1867
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1868; 1871-72; 1881; 1883; 1886-87; 1894; 1898-99; 1901-02; 1905; 1909; 1912-13; 1915-16; 1918; 1923-25; 1929; 1934; 1941; 1944-45; 1947-52; 1955; 1957;
1962; 1965; 1988
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Marriages 1837-1970
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St. Dogmaels 1891
The History of St. Dogmaels Abbey, E M Pritchard 1907
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1885-1952
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1955
The Place Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Nevern, Julian Orbach 1993
Tivy-Side Advertiser 1995; 1997; 2002
Memorial – Frederick Benjamin John Windsor, Pantsaeson, d. 13th December 1995
Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire & Their Families, Francis Jones 1996
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 23/04/2016