• PRINCESS VILLA

    by  • June 23, 2013 • House, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type, St. Dogmaels • 0 Comments

    History:

    The house was built ca1870. On 26th August 1896 Sarah Elizabeth Davies, daughter of Captain Thomas Davies of Princess Villa, died aged 8 months. On 28th March 1905 Captain Thomas Davies of this address died aged 45. On 19th September 1905 Mary Ann Davies, daughter of the late Captain Thomas Davies, died aged 15. On 6th May 1909 Captain Thomas J. Davies of Princess Villa married Miss Eleanor Morris of Letterston. By June 1910 David Oliver Davies lived here. On 13th October 1913 a son was born to Mr. & Mrs. David Griffiths of Princess Villa. On 7th December 1921 David Oliver Davies, son of Captain and the late Mrs. Davies of Princes Villa, married Ivy Amelia Newton of Whitby. In 1926-27 marine engineer Daniel Gwilym William and Helena William, his wife, lived at Princess Villa. In April 1928 David Protheroe moved here from Bridgend.

    In 1932-34 Mr. J. Conway Evans and family lived here. In 1936 Mr. & Mrs. Granville Griffiths lived here. In 1938 Mr. & Mrs. Morgan lived here. In 1941 Mrs. Morgan lived here. In 1948 Dorothy and David Thomas and family lived here. In 1957-60 Mr. & Mrs. Rees and family lived here. On 9th June 1961 the property was advertised for sale.

    Princess Villa in February 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Princess Villa in February 2002 (c) Glen K Johnson

    Description:

    The house was listed and described by CADW in 1993:

    Circa 1870 house in brown squared rubble stone banded in blue slate with slate roof and stone left end stack. Two storeys, double fronted with 12-pane sashes, cambered heads, painted blue stone voussoirs and slate sills. Centre half-glazed door in timber pilastered doorcase with console brackets to corniced hood. Panelled reveals, three slate steps up, slate plinth. Iron railings and paired gates…”

    Sources:

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1909; 1913; 1921; 1926; 1932-33; 1936; 1941; 1948; 1957; 1961

    Register of St. Dogmaels Parochial School

    Annual Report – Capel Degwel, St Dogmaels 1938

    St Dogmaels Parish Register – Baptisms 1857-1967

    Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993

    The Phone Book 2003.

    Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery

    © Glen K Johnson 23/06/2013.

    About

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *