On 4th September 1884 the site, then comprising a derelict house, stable, coach-house and carpenter’s shop, was sold by the Priory estate. Richard Thomas, using Cardigan brick, began the properties here in 1884 for Mrs. Davies. They are marked on the 1887 O. S. map. On 27th November 1893 Mrs. Mary Rees, formerly of the ‘Prince Of Wales’ inn, High Street, died here aged 73. In 1901 reference was made to Mrs. Ladd, late of Rock Terrace. The four houses were ‘listed’ in 1992. The buildings were repaired in 2005.
No. 1 – ROBY; DOLAFON.
No. 1 was completed ca1887. In 1891 the following persons lived here: Thomas Miles, 29, engineer; Sophia Miles, 27, his wife; Griffith Miles, 5, their son; Thomas Miles, 4, son; Jenny Miles, 2, daughter; and Dorothy C. Miles, 2 months, daughter. Thomas Miles lived here in 1891-95. On 17th July 1898 David Salmon, 21, plumber of No. 1 Rock Terrace married Margaret Ann Edwards, 22, of Paris House, High Street. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Theopilus Rees, 65, carpenter; Ann Rees, 68, his wife; Willie Richards, 9, their grandson; Annie Ellen Evans, 21, grand-daughter; Alexander Donaldson, 24, boarder, carpenter (b. Aberporth); and Mary A. Thomas, 42, daughter. Except where noted otherwise, all were bilingual and born in Cardigan. In 1901-10 Theopilus Rees lived here. On 7th July 1913 a son was born to Mrs. & Mr. Thomas Thomas of No 1. In 1914 Howard Austin Thomas lived here and may have still been resident in 1920. In July 1917 No. 1 was advertised to let. On 18th May 1918 Mrs. Sarah Williams, formerly of Penwern, St. Dogmaels, died here aged 69. In 1926-33 John Owen lived here. On 1st January 1932 a Private School for children under 14 – the ‘Gomerian School’, was launched here – Dolafon – by Mrs. Tom Owen. In 1945 Mrs. J. G. Owen lived at Roby. The Owen family were still resident in 1949. On 25th February 1951 Mrs. Hannah Owen of Roby died. In 1955 William E. Owen lived here. On 9th December 1959 Elwyn Owen of Roby died aged 50. In 1976 the Misses S. Jones & E. Jones lived at ‘Roby Villa’. In 1998 Brenda & William David lived here. In 2003 William C. David lived here.
No. 2 – MAESYRHAF.
No. 2 was completed ca. 1887. In 1891 the occupants were probably: William Joseph, 54, accountant; Hannah Joseph, 52, his wife; Sarah Joseph, 17, her daughter; David Joseph, 15, son; and Margaretta Joseph, 13, daughter. In 1891-97 William Joseph, Secretary of the National Lifeboat Institution lived here. On 16th September 1895 Thomas Joseph, the eldest son of William Joseph, married Miss Hannah Jones of Cardiff. On 26th October 1896 “Maggie” Margaretta Joseph, youngest daughter of William Joseph, Rock Terrace, died aged 19. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Margaret Jenkins, 57, wife (b. Cenarth, bilingual); and John J. Gard, 46, boarder, accountant’s clerk (b. Swansea, English-speaking). In 1905-27 David Davies lived here. On 6th March 1916 Sarah Elizabeth Davies of Rock Terrace married Joshua Thomas Jones of Rhydlewis. On 11th September 1927 David Davies, marine engineer, died aged 65. On 4th March 1928 Mrs. Sarah Davies of No. 2 died aged 70. In 1930 Miss Annie Davies lived here. In 1937-40 Mr. & Mrs. Jones lived here. In February 1940 Joshua Thomas Jones of No. 2 was in the merchant navy. In 1943 Blodwen Jones lived at No. 2. In July 1946 Joshua Thomas Jones of No. 2 was awarded the O. B. E.. On 13th August 1947 Mrs. Sarah Ellen Jones, No. 2 Rock Terrace, died leaving a husband – J. T. Jones. In 1949 the Davies and Jones families lived here. Miss Annie Davies lived here in 1949-55. In 1952 Tom Jones, J. Jones and Mrs. B. James also lived here. On 14th December 1954 Joshua Thomas Jones O. B. E. of No. 2 Rock Terrace, died. In 1955 Mary Blodwen James and Thomas Gwynfor James lived here. On 10th October 1958 No. 2 Rock Terrace was advertised for sale. In January 2003 the 5 bedroom property was offered for sale.
No. 3 – BRYNHEULOG.
No. 3 was completed ca 1886. On 24th May 1900 a daughter was born here to the wife of Mr. T. E. Chubb, G. W. R. Station Master at Cardigan, who lived here in 1900-02. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Thomas E. Chubb, 33, railway station master (b. Neath); Elizabeth A. Chubb, 26, his wife (b. Truro); and William Chubb, 4, their son (b. Swansea). All were English-speaking. Thomas E. Chubb moved to No. 5 St. Mary Street before April 1902. On 11th December 1902 Hannah Morris of Rock Terrace married John George Owen of Penrallt, St. Dogmaels. In 1910-15 William Morris lived here. On 3rd June 1915 Thomas Owen of Capel-yr-Wig married Lizzie Morris, daughter of William Morris of Brynheulog. On 6th November 1915 William Morris died aged 68. On 10th November 1918 a son was born to Mr. & Mrs. D. T. Griffiths of No. 3. In 1920-35 Mrs. William Morris lived here. On 22nd January 1935 Mrs. Ellen Morris of Brynheulog, died aged 88. In 1937-40 Mr. & Mrs. Griffiths lived here. On 4th August 1945 Mr. D. T. Griffiths of Brynheulog was killed in action. By May 1946 Victor Griffiths of Brynheulog was home after serving in the army. In 1955 Fanny Griffiths, Margaret E. G. Griffiths, Richard Victor Griffiths and Esther Enid Thomas lived here. In June 1997 the 4 bedroom house was advertised for sale. In September 1998 it was advertised for sale again, described as a 5 bedroom house. In July 2007 No. 3 was advertised for sale.
No. 4 – BRYNTEG.
No. 4 was completed ca. 1886. In 1895 Mrs. Roberts lived here. On 19th February 1896 Mr. & Mrs. Timothy Thomas of Rock Terrace learnt of the death of their youngest son, Harry Thomas, who was lost at sea when he was swept overboard from the barque “Nith” bound from Cardiff to South Africa. On 20th February 1898 Timothy Thomas, former manager of the Bridge End Foundry, St. Dogmaels, died here aged 69. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Anna Thomas (Mrs. Timothy Thomas), 61 (b. Cenarth); Louise Thomas, 29, her daughter (b. Cardigan); Elinor Evans, 18, daughter (b. Cardigan); and Roland Evans, 2, grandson (b. London). All were bilingual. In 1910-27 John George Owen lived here. In September 1925 the 6 bedroom property was advertised for sale. On 15th March 1927 John George Owen, cattle dealer, died aged 77. His widow, Annie Owen, moved to live with her daughter, Mrs. G. J. Morgan, at No. 3 Green Street. In February 1928 and January 1929 No. 4 was advertised for sale, with 3 bedroom and 2 attic rooms. In 1940 Mrs. Davies lived here. In July 1947 Mr. D. R. Davies, fishmonger, traded from Brynteg. In November 1948 Mr. J. J. Thomas lived here. In August 1949 No. 4 was advertised for sale as a 3 bedroom house, then occupied by a family named Bowen/Davies. In 1955 John Baden Powell Evans, Margaret Ann Evans and John Iscoed Jenkins lived here. On 14th December 1957 Brynteg, No. 4 Rock Terrace, was sold by auction as part of the Rhydgarnwen (Llantood). On 25th November 1966 J. B. P. Evans, owner and occupier of Brynteg, advertised the property for sale. In 1969 Mr. & Mrs. Martin Richards lived here. In 1976 Mr. Richards lived here. In September 1998 Brynteg was advertised for sale with 5 bedrooms.
The terrace was described by CADW in 1992:
“…1886-7. Two pairs of houses in red brick with slate roofs and brick stacks, the pairs similar but not identical. Nos 3 and 4 Brynheulog and Brynteg were built first and are dated 1886. Two-storey and attic, 2-window range each house with decorative brickwork typical of products of Cardigan Brickworks. Nos 3 and 4 have paired doors, canted bay windows, upper windows with notched surrounds, cambered heads and carved keystones, 4-pane sashes, and brick dormer gables over outer bays. Moulded brick eaves course with zig-zag, roll-mould and then gutter course in slate. Windows have timber panels above sashes with pierced decoration. Dormer gables have carved roundels. Doors were of 2 long arched panels, surviving on No 3 and have overlights and shelf hood on rustic brackets, probably cast iron.
Nos 1 and 2 are similar but doors are not paired but aligned under right side window of each house and gables are central to each. Doors have pilastered doorcases with cornices. Arched panels to doors, original to No 1, glazed panels to No 2.
All 4 houses have yellow brick low walls with cast-iron rails and wrought iron gates.
An unaltered row of decorative late C19 houses, displaying characteristic Cardigan brickwork. Possibly the new block of buildings for Mrs Davies designed by R Thomas of Cardigan, 1 April 1887…”
Pembrokeshire Record Office: DB/13/140
O. S. Map 1887 etc.
Parish Registers of St. Mary’s, Cardigan
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1895; 1914; 1920; 1926
Census Returns 1891; 1901
Cardigan Observer 1896
Annual Report – Tabernacl C M Chapel, Cardigan 1901
List of Voters – Cardigan 25/07/1910
Parish of St. Mary Jury List 1919
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1893-98; 1900; 1905; 1914-18; 1922; 1925; 1927-30; 1932-33; 1937; 1940-41; 1943; 1945-49; 1951; 1954; 1957-59; 1966; 1997-98
Accounts – Cardigan Auxiliary Bible Society 1949
Annual Report – Capel Mair, Cardigan 1952
Electoral Register 1955; 1998
Statement of Account – St Mary’s Church 31/12/1969
Official Programme – National Eisteddfod 1976
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest- Cardigan, CADW 1992
Sale Particulars – Brynteg, J J Morris 03/09/1998
The Phone Book 2003
© Glen K Johnson 15/06/2013