In March 1842 Captain David Owen lived here. He sold his sloop ‘Unity’ by auction here on 9th March 1842, and his shares in the sloop ‘Lettice‘ on 3rd May 1842. In 1847 Emia Louisa Davieswas probably born here, the daughter of Peter & Elizabeth Owen Davies. In 1850-71 Peter Davies was the landlord. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Peter Davies, 27, maltster & Post Master; Elizabeth Davies, his wife, Inn Keeper; Emiah Louisa Davies, 4, their daughter; Mary Stephens, 26, house servant; and Sarah Roberts, 14, servant. Ca1854 David Davies was born here, the son of Peter & Elizabeth Davies. Ca1856 Mary Davies was born here to the same couple. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Peter Davies, 36, maltster; Elizabeth Davies, 40, his wife; Emiah Davies, 14, their daughter; David Davies, 7, son; Mary Davies, 5, daughter; Betsy Davies, 22, servant; and Mary Thomas, visitor. On 12th January 1862 Elizabeth Owen Davies, wife of Peter Davies, died aged 42. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Peter Davies, 46, innkeeper; Emiah Louisa Davies, 23, his daughter; Henry (Owen) Davies, 19, son; and Mary Davies, 15, daughter. On 20th May 1871 Peter Davies died aged 47.
In 1873 Emiah Louisa Davies of the ‘Rose & Crown’ married John Lewis. Ca 1873 Elizabeth Lewis, daughter of John Lloyd Lewis & Emiah Louisa Lewis (nee’ Davies) was born here. In 1873-88 John Lewis was the publican. In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Lewis, 32, seaman; Emma Lewis, 34, his wife, innkeeper; and Elizabeth Lewis, 7, their daughter.
In 1891 the following persons lived here: Henry Owen Davies, 39, builder; Mary Davies, 39, his wife; and Marry Hannah Nicholas, 5, their niece. All were born in the parish. Henry Owen Davies lived here and was the publican in 1891-1911. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Henry Owen Davies, 49, builder; Mary Davies, 50, his wife; and Mary Hannah Nicholas, 14, niece. All were bilingual and born in the parish. Henry Owen Davies became a Rural District Councillor in 1910. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Henry Owen Davies, 59, publican; Mary Davies, 60, his wife; and Mary Nicholas, 24, relative, teacher. All were St. Dogmaels born and bilingual. On 11th November 1911 Henry Owen Davies died aged 60 – he had been a Deacon of Blaenwaun Baptist Chapel for 18 years. In 1911-22 Mrs. Mary Davies was the publican. In 1918 the pub ceased trading, but remained licensed pending compensation. On 17th January 1922 Mary Davies, widow of Henry Owen Davies, died aged 71.
Mrs. Elizabeth Rowlands took up the license in 1922 and brewed her own beer. The pub officially closed on 23rd May 1924, though had reportedly been in disuse since 1918. In June 1925 tenders were sought for building a vestry for Bethsaida Baptist Chapel. By 21st August 1925 the building had been demolished and on 28th August 1925 there was a sale of building salvage held on the site. In July 1926 the plot was advertised for sale. The vestry of Bethsaida Chapel now occupies the site.
Slater’s Directory 1850
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1906; 1914
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1898-99; 1904; 1911-12; 1922; 1924-26
Poster – Result of Poll 30/03/1910
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenywaun Chapel cemetery
© Glen K Johnson 19/07/2013.