On 20th April 1789 John David of Rosehill was a burgess of Cardigan. On 19th December 1814 John & Elizsbeth Williams of Tyrllwyd surrendered their lease on the property, which was also referred to as “Rubryhill”.
On 7th January 1815-43 Rev. David Jones lived here. The Coedmore (Llechryd) rent roll for 1819 shows a nil return for the two slate quarries here, but a letter from Thomas Lloyd stated that he was “…considering letting out two quarries on Rosehill Farm…”, which he had by 1820. From 1820-25 the quarries were leased to Mr. J. Evans for £8 per annum. In December 1827 Mary Charles died here aged 15. In 1834 new tenants here were warned against digging slates from the quarries there or opening new workings. In 1840 Rosehill belonged to Thomas Lloyd of Coedmore, and was occupied by Rev. David Jones, Rector of Cilgerran. In 1841 David Jones, 55, and Frances Jones, 70, lived here with 5 servants – Sarah Davies, 22; Sarah Davies, 25; Sarah ??, 20; Hannah Stephen, 22; and James Young, 25. Rev. David Jones remained here until his death in July 1843 at the age of 67. In April 1848 Mrs. Frances Jones died here aged 80.
In 1851 William Woodman, 51, his wife, Mary Woodman, 54, and 2 servants lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Emiah Howell, 41, solicitor’s wife; Harold Howell, 13, her son; Emily Sarah Howell, 9, daughter; Emiah Ellen Howell, 7, daughter; Laura Sarah Dumford, 40, sister, lady; Catherine B., 32, house servant; Margaret Davies, 22, house servant; and Thomas Elias, 50, general servant. In 1875 Thomas Davies was the farmer.
In 1877 Mr. Phillips, the tenant, was trading in slate, and purchased a large order from Forest Quarries, Cilgerran. In 1878 Thomas Edward Lloyd of Coedmore granted Messrs. Sambrook & Owens, quarrymen of Forest, permission to build a road across Rosehill, solely for the transportation of quarried stone. In 1881 the following persons lived here: John Phillips, 49, farmer of 90 acres; Catherine Phillips, 46, his wife; Esther Howells, 20, his step-daughter; James Howells, 18, stepson; Sarah Phillips, 14, daughter; John J. Phillips, 12, son; Cordelia Phillips, 10, daughter; William Phillips, 7, son; and Thomas Phillips, 4, son.
In 1883-91 William Thomas lived here. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William Thomas, 38; his daughter, 6; and servants John Davies, 70; Thomas Matthews, 15; and Mary John, 45.
In 1900-33 James James, market gardener, lived here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: James James, 39, farmer (b. Nevern); H. A. James, 31, his wife (b. Manordeifi); Annie Mary James, 5, their daughter (b. Llangoedmor); Hannah James, 65, his mother (b. Nevern); and Lydia Rees, 23, domestic servant (b. Manordeifi). The household was Welsh-speaking. In 1902 James James became a Deacon of Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan. In late August 1933 a daughter of Mr. & Mrs. James James died. On 20th November 1933 James James died aged 72. He had been the oldest Deacon of Bethania Chapel.
In 1935-40 Mr. & Mrs. Gwyon lived here. In 1952 the Gwyon family lived here – Mary Gwyon, Lloyd D. Gwyon, John G. Gwyon, William Roy Gwyon, Brenda A. Gwyon, and Beryl Gwyon. In March 1959 Miss Beryl Gwyon, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. W. G. Gwyon of Rosehill, married David W. Jones of Llangrannog.
In 1994 the house became a listed building. In 1996 a planning application was made for permission to convert Rose Barn here (also a listed building since 1994) into a new accommodation unit. In the summer of 2007 the property was advertised for sale. It then comprised a 6 bedroom period house with 4 letting cottages together with 50 acres of land.
In 1994 the property was described by CADW:
“…EXTERIOR – Earlier C19 house said to have been a dower house of Coedmore, incorporating ground floor of C17 house. Coursed rubble stone, formerly rendered, with hipped slate roofs. Two storeys, the N front range steeply hipped with red brick E stack and C20 black brick W stack. 12-pane sashes, four to ground floor with continuous timber lintel, three above with timber lintels, the centre one blank. Slate sills. Broad rear range with hipped N end and two big stone N stacks. Set-back E side has three windows above and two below, concrete lintels, but two of upper windows are original hornless sashes, one longer to right, lighting stair. Long W side has windowless end to main front then three-window range of 4-pane sashes with centre door. Concrete lintels. Door is 6-panel, with four fielded panels. Window to right has brick relieving arch.
From rear wing extend two single-storey ranges, asbestos-roofed; the range running N, has door to house in angle, with timber lintel, then window, door and door, all with cut-stone voussoirs. Range running E has two N doors with timber lintels.
INTERIOR – Rear SE room has heavy ceiling beams, joists and big timber lintel to fireplace. SW room has similar beams and joists. Front range is later with 6-panel doors, NE room has fragments of stencilled pattern possibly earlier C19. NW room has arch across N end possibly on line of an earlier pine-end. Early C19 stick baluster stairs with ramped rail.
OUTBUILDING – Earlier C19 outbuilding in coursed Cilgerran stone, formerly colourwashed with graded slate roof. L-plan with tall gabled wing coming forward at NE with high round arched entry and cut-stone voussoirs. This is probably an addition to rear range, which is lofted. Front to right of projection has blocked window in angle with cut-stone voussoirs and voussoirs of door to right, but widened with timber lintel to form cart-entry. One loft window to left of centre with timber lintel. Loft entry at E end with stone voussoirs, window at W end, formerly a door. Gabled projection has two-bay pegged collar-truss roof. Main range has four collar trusses.
Arch is of unusual height for a cart or carriage entry. Roof in poor condition at time of inspection (Spring 1994)…”
NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B
Carmarthenshire Record Office: Coedmore MSs 195; 196
Dyfed R. O.: D/LL/469
Parish Register of Llangoedmor
Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1881; 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Occupiers List of Voters – Llangoedmor 1889; 1900; 1911; 1915
Llangoedmor Parish Jury List 18/08/1902
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1933; 1935; 1940-41; 1959
Bethania, Aberteifi, R Edwards 1947
Annual Report – Bethania Baptist Chapel, Cardigan 1952
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW 1994
Slate Quarries of Pembrokeshire, Alun John Richards 1998
Sale Particulars – Rosehill Farm, John Francis 16/05/2007.
(c) Glen K Johnson 28/06/2013