Sincerity was named after the 39-ton St. Dogmaels sloop, ‘Sincerity’, built at Cardigan in 1839. Daniel Griffiths was the original Master of that vessel in 1840 and had the property built and then lived here. On 15th March 1856 Ann Griffiths, wife of Daniel Griffiths of Sincerity, died aged 26. The ship ‘Sincerity’ foundered the same year, but the three crew survived. On 25th October 1858 Daniel Griffiths of Sincerity died aged 44.
In 1901 Anne Lewis, 44, wife, lived here with her daughter, also Annie Lewis, 21. Both were bilingual and had been born in the parish. In 1904 Captain James Lewis lived here. In 1911 the following persons lived here: Anne Lewis, 54, widow; Anne Griffiths, 31, her daughter; Lynn Griffiths, 4, grandson; and Austin Griffiths, 2, grandson. All were bilingual and born in the parish. On 19th February 1913 Annie Griffiths, wife of James Griffiths of Sincerity, died aged 33. In 1926 Lynn Griffiths, sailor, lived here. In 1934-47 Captain Daniel Rees Lewis & Mrs. Lewis lived here. On 27th November 1935 the funeral was held of Mrs. Anne Lewis of Sincerity. On 18th August 1937 Vivian Lewis, only son of Captain Daniel Rees Lewis & Mrs. Lewis, married Miss Gwelda Richards of St. Dogmaels parish. In 1939 H. M. Lewis lived here. In 1944 E. M. Lewis, Marion D. Lewis and Donald Llewelyn lived here. On 9th September 1947 Captain Daniel Rees Lewis died aged 69, leaving a widow named Margretta Lewis who lived here until 1955. On 6th March 1955 Mrs. Hannah Margretta Lewis, widow of Captain Daniel Rees Lewis, died aged 70. Her daughter, Mrs. Bowen, lived here. On 24th June 1960 and 23rd April 1971 the 5-bedroom property was advertised for sale. The house was listed in 1993. In 2010 the modern dormer was removed, restoring the original appearance of the roof.
The house was described by CADW in 1993:
“…Circa 1870 house in brown rubble stone banded in grey with slate roof and brick end stacks. Paired brackets to eaves. Two storeys and attic, double fronted with large C20 dormer. Main front has two large sashes with marginal glazing bars, painted brick cambered heads and painted slate sills, ground floor has two large canted bays with metal-clad hipped roofs, moulded cornices, slate plinths and similar sash windows. Cornices are carried across centre as door hood over pilasters of typical St. Dogmaels type. 4-panel door with arched upper panels and plain overlight.
12-pane loft light in N end wall.
Front garden enclosed by spearhead iron rails with dog-bars on dwarf slate block wall with slate coping…”
Additional (2001): Interior – staircase survives. Ground floor altered with right hand room extended into hall and fireplaces removed.
Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers
Census Returns 1901; 1911
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1904; 1913; 1926; 1934-35; 1937-38; 1940-41; 1947-48; 1955;
1960; 1971; 2010
Blaenywaun Chapel Annual Report 1939; 1944
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW 1993
Programme – St. Dogmaels Public Regatta 07/08/1999
The Phone Book 2003
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery.
Information supplied by Rev. G Asson.
© Glen K Johnson 23/06/2013.