The ‘Aid’ was a Cardigan Smack of 36 tons, built in 1829 at Cardigan. In 1829-51 Captain Daniel Jenkins was the master, sailing to ports such as Kidwelly with slates and returning with coal. Other ports she called at included Llanelli, Pembroke Dock, Hook, and Milford. On 19 July 1851 the ‘Aid‘ was washed ashore at Aberporth and suffered damage, but was raised. The ‘Welshman‘ of 8 August 1851 carried the following item:
It may have been as a result of this that the vessel changed hands, and Captain James was later recorded as the master of the ‘Aid‘. On 13 September 1869 she went ashoreat Ramsey Sound. The crew, including Captain James, got off, but the vessel became a complete wreck.