The building was erected in 1830 for Morris Owen of Cwmgloyn to plans by Daniel Evans, architect. A woollen mill was founded at St. Dogmaels in 1870, probably here. In 1900-14 this was Cambrian Mills – a woollen mill run by Thomas Lewelyn Williams of the Briars (Parc-y-Ffrier). On 22nd August 1902 it was advertised for sale, described as a three-storey stone building, stable, lime-kilns, old ruins and a quay. In February 1911 Thomas Ll. Williams was planning to increase the number of looms to nearly 40. In 1913 Evans Bros., builders’ merchants, opened a coal and culm yard adjacent to the Cambrian Mills, and traded there until 1970. On 1st June 1917 the “Cambrian Mills” were closed down. In 1918 one building here was vacant and the other was being used to house pigs. On 26th February 1919 the former woollen factory was advertised for sale. The former “Cambrian Mills” was advertised for sale again on 3rd July 1925.
In the 1980’s the premises became a building materials suppliers premises for Messrs. Jewsons’. The warehouse became a listed building in 1993. ‘Jewson’s’ traded here in 2003-08. ‘Jewsons’ ceased trading here on 6th December 2008 and the premises was advertised for sale soon afterwards. By early 2010 B. V. Rees leased the premises.
The building was described by CADW in 1993:
“…Earlier C19 warehouse in banded rubble stone with slate roof, coped gables and stone end stacks. Four-storey 5-window front, centre loading doors, the uppermost door breaking eaves under hipped projecting hoist roof. Cast-iron hoist wheel. Ground floor is at semi-basement level now, with openings blocked. Cut stone voussoirs to first 3 floors, timber lintels to top floor windows. Slate sills.
North end wall has big vehicle entrance cut through and original first floor within is removed. South end wall has loading door to first floor centre and second floor right. Rear wall is obscured by modern additions, but was similar to front.
The best surviving warehouse in St. Dogmaels, possibly the ‘large pile of buildings…with extensive quay, lime kilns and storehouses’ built 1830 for Morris Owen, Cwmgloyn, by David Evans, architect…”
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1902; 1904; 1909; 1911; 1913; 1917-19; 1925; 1949
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914
Evans Bros. Bill-heads 1914; 1916; 1923-25
Post Office Telephone Directory 1940, 1950
Planning Decision – Jewsons 09/04/1990
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – St. Dogmaels, Julian Orbach, CADW
The Phone Book 2003.
© Glen K Johnson 23/06/2013.