There is a building here marked on the 1838 Tithe Map, which accounts for the surviving probably re-used pegged roof trusses with carpenter’s marks. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Mary Griffiths, 40, mariner’s wife; Mary Griffiths, 69, probably her mother-in-law; and Ann Williams, 64, visitor, baker. In 1871 the following persons lived here: Ann Williams, 78, stocking knitter; Mary Griffiths, 48, her daughter, dressmaker, married; and Mary Ann Griffiths, 10, her grand-daughter. In 1881 there was a reading room here. The property, referred to as “News Room” was then the home of: David Griffiths, 56, mariner; Mary Griffiths, 60, his wife; and Mary A. Griffiths, 20, their daughter, a dress-maker.
In 1891 the property was the home of Emiah Lewis, 44, widow, formerly of the ‘Rose & Crown’ next door (where her brother, Henry Owen Davies, was then living), and her daughter Elizabeth Lewis, 17, a dress-maker. Both were born in the parish and were Welsh-speaking. In 1891-1901 Emiah Lewis lived here. In 1901 the following persons lived here: Emiah Lewis, 55, widow, rural post-woman; Elizabeth Rowlands, 27, her married daughter; and David Henry Rowlands, 1, grandson. All were bilingual and born in the parish.
In 1909 Thomas Davies lived here. John Phillips’ widow, Eleanor Phillips of Corner House, sold the property on 31st December 1909 to Anne Morris, baker, wife of William Morris, Cwm. In 1910-26 William Morris kept a baker’s shop here. His daughter, Hannah Mary Morris had been born on 9th March 1908 and son William Benjamin Morris was born on 19th April 1909. On 27th December 1910 a daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. William Morris of this property. In April 1911 the St. Dogmaels Reading Room was closed – had it been kept here until that date? In 1911 the following persons lived here: William Morris, 45, baker; Anne Morris, 34, his wife; Hannah Morris, 3, their daughter; Willie Benjamin Morris, 1, son; and Rose Delia Morris, 3 months daughter. All were St. Dogmaels born and bilingual. On 17th February 1912 a daughter, Margaret Ellen (“Nell”) Morris, was born to Mrs. & Mr. William Morris. In December 1913 Rose Delia Morris, aged 2, died of diphtheria. Anne Morris died on 20th February 1927 at the age of 50, and the property passed to her husband – retired baker William Morris. In 1929-44 William Morris and Nell Morris still lived here. On December 31st 1942 Anna Mary Morris, 34, daughter of William Morris, baker, of this address, married Llywelyn Rees of Cartrefle, St. Dogmaels. William Morris died on 29th June 1947 aged 83. His daughter, Margaret Ellen Morris, inherited the property.
In 1989 the property was sold. During the 1990’s the house was extensively refurbished. The property was advertised for sale again in January 2001 and was sold in June that year.
Rendered two storey 2 window terraced house with imitation slate roof, slight off-set from left. Replacement 4-pane timber sashes and half glazed timber door, all later C20, door situated to ground floor right. Slate sills and plain reveals to openings. Modern bargeboard and rainwater goods and later C20 rear extensions.
Interior greatly altered. Machine-cut timbers suggest later C19 date, but rough-hewn and pegged roof truss frames are of ca1800.
Tithe Map for St. Dogmaels 1838
Deeds – Old Bakery
Census Returns 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901; 1911
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 1894
Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1899
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1914; 1926
Register of St. Dogmaels Parochial School
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1910-12; 1914; 1927; 1934-35; 1938; 2004; 2007; 2009
St. Dogmaels Parish Register – Burials 1885-1952
Blaenywaun Chapel Annual Report 1938; 1939; 1944
Sale Particulars – The Old Bakery, J J Morris, 29/01/2001
St. Dogmaels Uncovered, Glen K Johnson 2007
© Glen K Johnson 19/07/2013.