On 21st November 1880 May Thomas, daughter of David & Nancy Thomas, died aged 3 months. They may already have been living here. On 30th March 1883 “Tivy Villa, Netpool, St. Dogmells”, was advertised to let. On 26th December 1886 Margaret Ellen Thomas, daughter of David & Nancy Thomas, died aged 3. By 1889 the property was a public house. David Thomas was the publican in 1889-1949. On 3rd April 1890 Esther Ann Thomas, daughter of David Thomas, died aged 3. In 1891 the following persons lived here: David Thomas, 35, salmon fisherman; Ann Thomas, 36, his wife; John Rees Thomas, 8, their son; William Thomas, 4, son; and Mary Ellen Thomas, 2, daughter. In 1901 the following persons lived here: David Thomas, 47, fisherman (born at Nevern, Welsh-speaking); Ann Thomas, 50, his wife, Welsh-speaking; John Rees Thomas, 18, their son; William Thomas, 14, son; and Mary Ellen Thomas, 12, daughter. Except where stated otherwise, all were bilingual and born in the parish. On 22nd April 1904 Nancy Thomas, wife of David Thomas of the ‘Tivy Inn’, died aged 58. On 12th October 1909 Evan James of Mwtshwr married Miss Mary Ellen Thomas, only daughter of David Thomas of the ‘Tivy Inn’. In May 1917 Private John Rees Thomas was home on leave. He had suffered a wound to his hand during recent fighting in France. In February 1937 the pub was threatened with closure. In February 1949 objections were raised against the license. On 15th May 1949 the licensee, David Thomas, died aged 94. In July 1949 the property was advertised for sale.
In 1950-60 William Alban Williams was the landlord and lived here. On 5th May 1960 William Alban Williams of this address died aged 57. In 1960-68 his widow, Margaret Rees Williams was the licensee. In the 1970′s the Grota family lived here. In 1980 the pub was advertised for sale. In 1993-99 the proprietors were Brian & Diane Miles. New landlords Brian & Val Ashford took over the pub in the summer of 2001. In March 2006 uPVC windows were installed. In 2011 Brian Ashford left and new landlords took over the pub.
Late C19 2 storey inn in rubble stone with slate gabled roof.
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1883; 1909; 1911; 1916-17; 1938; 1949-50; 1960; 1979-80
Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels 1891
Occupiers List of Voters – St. Dogmaels 30/07/1894
Census Returns 1891; 1901
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1906; 1914; 1926
Post Office Telephone Directory 1955
Annual Report – Capel Degwel 1974
The 1993 Guide to Cardigan
The Cardigan Guide 1994
Tivy-Side Advertiser 1997-98; 2002; 2008
Programme – St. Dogmaels Public Regatta 15/08/1998; 07/08/1999
Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenywaun Chapel, St Dogmaels.
© Glen K Johnson 25/07/2013.