• TREDEFAID

    by  • June 25, 2013 • Farm, House, Llantood, Medieval, Modern, Pembrokeshire, Period, Post-Medieval, Site Type • 3 Comments

    History:

    The name means ‘Sheep Farm’. Three acres of land with one wood and appurtenances within the carrucate of Treffydeveit in the lordship of Deffrenbrenan were granted by Henry ap David Lloyd ap Philip ap Gwilym of Deffrenbrenan to William ap Res ap Phillip in 1370. Reference was made to “Tredeved” in 1594 and again in a will of 1605.

    In 1635 John Parry of Tredefaid, son of Thomas Parry of St. Dogmaels, received the new mansion of Tyglyn Aeron in the will of his brother, Llewelyn Parry. On 2nd June 1641 the Will of John Parry of Tredefaid, written on 9th January 1640, was approved. He was married to Jane Parry, daughter of Griffith David of Llanarth, and had four daughters and co-heiresses. Of Jane Parry, little is recorded. Anne Parry married David Lewis of Llysnewydd. His youngest daughter, Elizabeth Parry, married John Griffiths, and they lived here. The youngest daughter, Lettice Parry, married Thomas Lewis, third son of John Lewes of Llysnewydd, and Tredefaid passed to their descendants. At the Hearth Tax assessment of 1670, Tredefaid was assessed at 1 hearth. In 1684 David Griffith was bickering with David Lloyd of Croesyforwyn, over the use of one of the pews at Llantood Church! David Griffith was recorded as the occupier of Tredefaid in 1684-86.

    In 1698 the farmhouse was either built or extensively rebuilt and dated. In 1702 Thomas Lewis of Tredefaid was the Portreeve of Cilgerran, and presented the burgesses with a drinking horn. In 1704 William John Lewis lived here. Reference was made in 1705 to John Lewis, son of Thomas Lewis and his wife, Lettice Lewis nee’ Parry, daughter of John Parry [see above]. This John Lewis married Elizabeth Lloyd, daughter of Watkin Lloyd of Wern Newydd, Llanarth. They had two sons: Thomas Lewis, coroner and Rev. Watkin Lewis. John Lewis lived here in 1705-36. In March 1710 John Lewis lived here with his wife, Elizabeth Lewis – daughter of Frances & Watkin Lloyd, and his daughters Frances and Lettice Lewis. On 12th November 1722 Lettice Lewes, daughter of John Lewes, died aged 22. On 4th December 1727 Elizabeth Lewes nee’ Lloyd, wife of John Lewes, died aged 57. Reference was made in 1737 to “…Tredeved Mill alias Melin Tredeved…” In 1738 Elizabeth Lewis, daughter of John Lewis, married Jonathan Jenkins of Cilbronnau, Llangoedmor. Thomas Lewis, coroner, married a daughter of John Thomas, Cilciffeth, Pembrokeshire. In 1740 John Lewis granted Tredefaid in trust as part of the marriage settlement between his eldest son and heir, Thomas Lewis, and Anne Thomas of Cilciffeth. On 17th October 1742 John Lewes died aged 67.

    In 1742-53 Thomas Lewis lived here. In 1749 Thomas & Anne Lewis had an outbuilding erected here. On 30th December 1749 Lettice Lewes, daughter of Thomas and Anne Lewes of Tredefaid, died aged 2 years 7 months. In 1753 Thomas & Anne Lewis were resident. On 10th April 1753 their son, Thomas Lewes, died aged 1. In the late C18 Rev. WIilliam or Watkin Lewis, Rector of Newport, lived here. He married Anne Williams of Ambleston, Pembrokeshire. His son, Sir Watkin Lewes, became Lord Mayor of London, and lived in Southwark in 1809 before retiring to Plas Newydd, St. Dogmaels. In 1767-87 David Bowen lived here. In 1767 there was a dispute between David Bowen and William Davies, mariner, of Bridge End, Cardigan, regarding a co-partnership in the ‘Charming Molly’ of Cardigan.

    In 1774 John Lewis of Whippingham, Isle of Wight, leased Tredefaid to David Bowen. This must have been a renewal of an earlier lease. On 19th March 1774 David Bowen was made a burgess of Cardigan. On 30th January 1776 John Bowen, son of David Bowen, died aged 3. On 29th February 1776 Jane Bowen, daughter of David Bowen, died aged 2. In 1780 David & Elizabeth Bowen had repairs undertaken here. On 5th April 1786 “Tredeved limekiln” near Cardigan Bridge was referred to. In 1786-90 Rev. Dr. John Lewis owned Tredefaid and Tredefaid Mill which he leased to David Bowen. In 1791-94 Elizabeth Bowen was the tenant. On 19th February 1795 David Bowen died aged 52.

    In 1796-1804 John Rees was the tenant. On 15th October 1807 John Rees of Tredefaid wrote his will. He referred to his brother Thomas Rees; wife Jane Rees; daughter Elizabeth Rees; and father Thomas Rees. On 25th December 1817 Elizabeth Anne Bowen daughter of John & Mary Bowen of Tredefaid, was baptised at Llantood Church. On March 23rd 1818 the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Jenkins of Tredefaid and blacksmith David Rees of Bryncws, St. Dogmaels, was baptised by the Vicar of St. Dogmaels. In 1825 John Bowen of Tredefaid owned shares in the Cardigan ships ‘Thetis’, 81 tons; ‘Art’, 126 tons; and ‘Olive’, 100 tons. In 1828 he held shares in the 99 ton Cardigan ship ‘Brothers’. On 16th October 1829 John Bowen died aged 48. His widow, Mary Bowen, was a daughter of Thomas Davies of Bridge House, Cardigan.

    In 1832 Mary and Elizabeth Bowen of Tredefaid owned shares in the 181 ton Cardigan ship ‘Ocean’. On 28th January 1833 Mary Bowen died aged 48, leaving an only daughter. Some outbuildings were remodelled here in 1834 and the property was indicated on a map the same year. In 1838 the property was owned by Elizabeth Anne Bowen, and occupied by David davies. On 19th May 1840 Elizabeth Anne Bowen, daughter of the late John & Mary Bowen, married Richard David Jenkins of Pantirion, St. Dogmaels.

    In 1840 the ship “Susan” of Cardigan was built for Thomas Llewelyn of Tredefaid. In 1840 Thomas Llewelyn moved here from Tygwyn, Ferwig. In 1840-71 Thomas Llewelyn (1796-1877) lived here. He had been born at Glanymor, St. Dogmaels, the son of Vinsant Llewelyn, and had a brother named Vincent Llewelyn. In 1841 the following persons lived here: Thomas Llewelyn, 40; Phoebe Llewelyn, 30, his wife; Thomas Llewelyn, 6, their son; John Llewelyn, 2, son; and nine servants. In 1844 Thomas Llewelyn had the schooner “Rival” built. On 3rd January 1848 David Llewelyn was born here, the son of Thomas & Phoebe Llewelyn. In 1849 Thomas Llewelyn published a notice, denying that his property had been broken into. On November 21st 1849 he was ordained a Deacon of Blaenywaun Baptist Chapel, St. Dogmaels. In 1851 the following persons lived here: Thomas Llewelyn, 50, farmer of 250 acres; Phoebe Llewelyn, 43, his wife; Thomas Llewelyn, 15, their son; John Llewelyn, 11, son; David Llewelyn, 3, son; and nine servants – John Watkins, 22; Evan Williams, 20; David Mathias, 20; Vincent Llewelyn, 67, (Thomas Llewelyn’s brother); Rachel Morgan, 23; Elizabeth Davies, 16; Ann Thomas, 22; Mary James, 20; and William James, 12. From at least May 1st 1854 John Llewelyn attended Llechryd Board School. In 1855 Thomas Llewelyn may have sold his schooners “Rival” and “Susan”. On 5th May 1857 Phoebe Llewelyn (nee’ George, born at Glanllynan, Cardigan), wife of Thomas Llewelyn, died aged 47.

    In 1858 Thomas Llewelyn was an overseer of the poor for Llantood. In 1861 the following persons lived here: Thomas Llewelyn, 62, farmer of 318 acres; Thomas Llewelyn, 27, his son; John Llewelyn, 21, son; David Llewelyn, 13, son; Vincent Llewelyn, 82, brother; and six servants – David Francis, 25, farm servant; David Davies, 18, farm servant; Mary Williams, 30, house maid; Anne Williams, 24, dairy maid; Phoebe James, 21, house servant; and Mary James, 16, house servant. On 3rd June 1862 Thomas Llewelyn the younger, 28, and Nancy Rees, 42, widow of John Rees of Glanymor, St. Dogmaels, daughter of the late Daniel Rees, were married. In December 1870 John Llewelyn married Elizabeth Sambrook. In 1871 the property was home to: Thomas Llewelyn, 75, his sons John Llewelyn, 32, and David Llewelyn, 23, Elizabeth Llywelyn, 29, lodger (and daughter-in-law!); and their servants – Elizabeth Devonald, 40, dairy maid; Rachel Jones, 40; Ellen Davies, 16; Evan Evans, 22; Rees Thomas, 12; Thomas Evans, 16; and David Mathias, 4. Soon afterwards Thomas Llewelyn was evicted by his landlord, Richard David Jenkins of Pantirion and Cardigan Priory, for voting Liberal, and moved to Cwmconnell, St. Dogmaels.

    William Phillips lived and farmed here in 1877-97. When Watkin Owen, tailor, died aged 80 on 31st January 1878 he was described as being “…late of Tredefaid…” In 1881 the following persons lived here: William Phillips, 38, farmer of 280 acres; William Morris, 19, farm servant; David Edwards, 18, servant; Joseph Mitchell, 31, servant; William Jones, 14, shepherd boy; Margaret Morris, 32, dairy maid; Martha Griffiths, servant; and Elizabeth Williams, servant. In the late 1880’s Margaret Morris, William Phillips, Anne Jenkins, John Jones, John Edwards and John Evans lived here. In 1891 William Phillips, 53, farmer, lived here with the following servants: Margaret Morris, 38; Frances Daniel, 28; Phoebe Morris, 15; Thomas Lewis, 18; Jacob Davies, 17; and John Shelby, 16. In 1894 William Phillips farmed some land at Parkgamallt, St. Dogmaels. By 26th March 1897 William Phillips, together with Mr. & Mrs. George of Rhydgarnwen, presented a set of 16 lamps to Llantood Church. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Phillips, 68, farmer (b. St. Dogmaels, bilingual); John Perry, 22, his nephew (b. St. Dogmaels, bilingual); Margaret Morris, 41, housekeeper (b. Nevern); Elen Matthias, 22, dairymaid (b. Moylegrove); Mary Ann Davies, 16, cook (b. Glamorgan); David Davies, 24, head carter (b. St. Dogmaels); Benjamin Davies, 18, carter (b. St. Dogmaels); and Edward E. Neovil (?), 14, servant. All were Welsh-speaking unless stated otherwise. In March 1902 Tredefaid was advertised to let with 318 acres.

    On 5th May 1903 Arthur Picton Sambrook of Pentood Uchaf, St. Dogmaels, married Miss Phoebe Davies, daughter of Evan Davies of Tredefaid. On 22nd November 1903 Evan John Sambrook, son of Arthur Picton Sambrook and Phoebe Sambrook of Tredefaid, was baptised at Llantood Church. On 14th December 1907 Mrs. Davies of Tredefaid died aged 61. On 2nd July 1912 Joshua Davies, son of Evan Davies of Tredefaid, married Miss Margaret Ellen Thomas. In 1914-25 Evan Davies & George Davies lived here. On 1st July 1925 farmer Evan Davies of Tredefaid died aged 82.

    Davies & Sons were the farmers here in 1926. On 31st March 1933 an aeroplane from Cardiff landed here. Sir Alan Cobham made suggestions for a local aerodrome. Other flights ran later in the year. In 1935-37 George Davies and family lived here. In 1940 Tredefaid was home to Messrs. Evan Owen Davies & George Davies, Miss M. E. Davies, Mr. T. Davies, Miss O. M. Owen and Miss Betty Phillips. On 7th February 1945 a ploughing match was held here. In 1945 Evan Owen Davies, son of the late Mr. & Mrs. Evan Davies of Tredefaid, retired from running the farm and moved to St. Dogmaels.

    In February 1946 Mr. & Mrs. M. S. Wood lived here. On 14th November 1950 there was a clear-out sale here, M. S. Wood having just sold Tredefaid to Henry Graham Partridge. The house became a listed building in 1952. In 1966 the original C17 staircase was replaced.

    Description:

    The property was described by CADW in 1994:

    EXTERIOR – C17 to C18 farmhouse, a gentry house of the Lewes family in early C18 and Bowen family in later C18 and early C19. Roughcast and rubble stone with slate roofs and C20 brick stacks. Two storeys, L-plan. Roughcast E front, to garden, has older part to right with slightly higher roof and left end stack. Outshut front with C20 window and casement pair. The later left part has projecting half-hipped porch, C20 door and window above, French window to left and 12-pane sash above. End stack to roughcast S wall.

    N end small windows in outshut end and main gable slate-hung window and 12-pane window below. A chimney on the W cross-gable is removed. NW rear wing has W end stack and 12-pane W first floor window. Lean-to on N side, formerly parallel-roofed, has two N windows over four small entries for geese. S side large C20 window and door below, 12-pane sash above with concrete lintel. Rear of SE wing has door and small window below, two 12-pane sashes above with concrete lintels.

    INTERIOR – Early to mid C17 NE section has big chimney backing onto present entry passage, possibly representing a former end-entry house. Entries to right and left of chimney, that to right with evidence of former partition in lintel. Chimney SW corner is rounded. NE ground floor room has three heavy beams and scribed joists, fireplace beam has been cut through. First floor has W fireplace with timber lintel on oak corbels, possibly C17. Two heavy cross-beams, one carried on chamfered lintel into outshut, which has two big oak principal rafters. SE corner winding stone stair to attic, possibly formerly continued down to ground floor. Attic has two heavy trusses, cone with mortices for collar and curved feet, the other plain. The SE wing is probably late C17, with the cross passage and S room. There was, until 1966, a staircase of 1698 in passage, some fragments re-used as landing rail: turned balusters, moulded rail. 1698 date on landing underside. S room has heavy chamfered beams and numbered floor joists. From the landing two doorways into the two upper rooms, one with C17 style 8-panel door dated ‘DBE 1780’ for David and Elizabeth Bowen. Three heavy beams, one, over door partition, chamfered. Pine late C18 or early C19 roof trusses, with bolted staples to collars. NW rear wing has three heavy beams to kitchen, one in E wall cut through, and big W end fireplace.

    OUTBUILDINGS ON N SIDE OF YARD – C18 and C19 long farm range, dated 1749 and 1834, rubble stone and slate roofs. The earliest section is lofted, double fronted with projecting stone shelf over window, door and window, all with stone voussoirs. Above shelf, a date plaque ‘TLA 1749’ for T and A Lewis, and nine pairs of dove holes. Small off-centre boarded loft-light.

    Added range to left is C19 single storey with three brick-headed doors, brick quoins and four pairs of dove holes. Loft stairs at W end. Added range to right is also C19, two-storey, double-fronted with brick heads to two lower windows and altered centre door. Two upper windows under eaves. A long C19 single storey range continues to right with corrugated-iron roof, five brick-headed doors divided by vent loops, some doors infilled as windows, the n a broader C20 opening and three similar but closer-spaced doors. E end wall has door, upper window and plaque ‘EAB 1834’, for Elizabeth Ann Bowen. Slate rear roof…”

    Sources:

    NLW Bronwydd MSs 828; 4085; 3370; 1860

    NLW Morgan & Richardson MSs 1645; 1631; 1645

    NLW Noyadd Trefawr MS 954

    Hearth Tax List 1670

    NLW Cilciffeth MSs 88; 82; 405; 89; 245; 212; 94; 96; 216

    NLW Glansevin MS 2624

    NLW Cwmgwili MS 1452

    NLW Alltlwyd MS 12

    NLW Minor Deposit 490-9B

    Llantood Parish Records

    Land Tax Lists for Llantood 1786-1803

    Ceredigion Archives: CDM

    School Exercise Book – John Llewellyn 1854

    NLW Llwyndyrus MSs 16-19

    Pembrokeshire Record Office: Port of Cardigan Shipping Registers

    Baptism Register – St. Dogmaels Church 1832-58

    Accounts of the ‘William’ of Cardigan, Thomas Llewellin, Tredefaid 1831-39

    Accounts of the ‘Orielton’ of Milford, Thomas Llewellin, Tredefaid 1835-51

    Tithe Map of Llantood 1838

    Accounts of the ‘Susan’ of Cardigan, Thomas Llewellin, Tredefaid 1840-55

    Census Returns 1841; 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901

    Accounts of the ‘Rival’, Thomas Llewellin, Tredefaid 1844-55

    Poster – Notice to the Public, Thomas Llewellin, Tredefaid 17/03/1849

    Cardigan Union Overseers Collectors Authorisation – Thomas Llewellyn, Tredefaid 09/10/1858

    Diary of John Llewelyn, Tredefaid 1861

    Copy Marriage Certificate – Thomas Llywellyn & Nancy Rees 03/06/1862

    Marriage Settlement etc. – Thomas Llewellyn, Tredefaid & Nancy Rees 30/08/1862

    The History of Cilgerran, John Roland Phillips 1867

    Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926

    Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1885; 1897; 1902-03; 1907;  1912; 1914-15; 1917; 1923; 1925;

    1933; 1935; 1937; 1941; 1945-46; 1950; 1953; 1956; 1969; 1993; 1998; 2006 Accounts – Rebuilding Blaenywaun, St. Dogmaels 1891

    Hanes Blaenywaun, Benjamin Rees 1899 

    Post Office Telephone Directory 1953; 1955

    The Place-Names of Pembrokeshire, B G Charles 1993

    Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Cilgerran, J Orbach, CADW, 1994

    Cardigan Annual Show Catalogue 02/08/1995

    Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire & Their Families, Francis Jones 1996

    Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Iswyn & Betty Griffiths 2004

    Monumental Inscriptions, Blaenwaun Chapel cemetery, St Dogmaels.

    (c) Glen K Johnson 25/06/2013

    About

    3 Responses to TREDEFAID

    1. Brian Bouchard
      August 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

      The Rev John Lewes of Ewell, Surrey, and Whippingham was Rev Watkin Lewis’ elder son. His sister Jane married 3/4/1768 (Sir) George Glyn

      • glen
        August 22, 2013 at 3:17 pm

        Hi Brian. Not sure I got all of your message there, though it starts with some good information. Could you try again?

        • Brian Bouchard
          September 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm

          Glen, I missed your response and have now forgotten all that I might have said!

          The Glyns are covvered on the Epsom and Ewell History Explorer website (for which I write. If I can fill in gaps please email me direct. Brian

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *