The name means ‘Morgan’s Holding’. In the early C18 Maud John of Treforgan married Lewis Turnor of Crug Mawr near Cardigan. Maud inherited a third of the estate in her father’s will. Her sister married David Bowen, who was the freeholder of Treforgan in 1760. In December 1788 Treforgan was advertised for sale as part of an estate which included the Castle Green (Cardigan Castle) estate. Martha Jenkins lived here in 1791. Treforgan was described by Thomas Rees in 1815 as “…a farm…” The John Nash-inspired house must have been built about that time. In October 1815 Elizabeth Davies of Treforgan died aged 70. In May 1816 Mary Thomas died here aged 11 months. In March 1825 Gwenllian James of Treforgan died aged 83.
In 1825-32 Evan Davies lived here. In 1825 Evan Davies bought two shares in the new 97-ton Cardigan schooner, “Nina”. In July 1827 Thomas James died here aged 87. Evan Davies died in February 1832 aged 68. He had been married to Margaret Davies, daughter of Archdeacon Benjamin Millingchamp of Plas Llangoedmor. They had two daughters – Jane Catherine Davies lived here with Margaret Davies in 1832, and Ann Eliza Davies married Thomas Lewis Lloyd of Nantgwyllt and Wern Newydd. The couple used to spend their winters here. In 1833 Samuel Lewis referred to it: “… Trevorgan is a substantial mansion, standing in grounds comprising much varied scenery…” Margaret Davies died here on 11th December 1837 aged 79. In 1838 Treforgan was owned by Thomas Lewis Lloyd.
In 1838-58 Maria Washington Webley-Parry lived here. In 1839 Jane Hughes was a servant here until leaving for Pembroke in 1841. In January 1841 John Phillips died here aged 65. In January 1841 Alban Barnet died here aged 24. In May 1841 David Evan died here aged 70. In 1844 Mrs. Admiral Webley-Parry lived here. In February 1845 John Jenkins died here aged 18 months. In 1845-59 John Isaac of Greenfield Row, Cardigan, was the butler here. In 1851 Treforgan was occupied by Maria Webley-Parry, 74; her daughter, Ellen Webley-Parry, 38; with their servants – John Isaac, 35, groom & gardener; Anne Lloyd, 32, housemaid; Jane Owens, 28, cook; Ann John, 25, dairy maid; and Martha James, 15, housemaid. On 16th January 1852 the following report of a court case appeared in the ‘Pembrokeshire Herald‘:
“…George Smith, aged 31, was indicted for obtaining, on the 21st November last, from Miss Ellen Webley Parry, of Treforgan, in the parish of Llangoedmore, ten shillings, under false pretences. The prisoner, who appeared to have had some previous experience in a Court of Justice, on being arraigned, applied to the bench to have counsel assigned to him for his defence, which, at the request of the Court, Mr James Bowen consented to undertake. Mr Lascelles stated the case to the jury, and remarked that during the period he had practised in that Court there had never been a similar case, which he designated as deserving severe punishment, as no prudence could protect from such attacks, which were generally made against the kindest of persons in the community, Mr. Lascelles having called Jane Owen, Mr James Bowen took an objection to the form in which the jury had been sworn, urging that the case being one of misdemeanour, the form of proceedings were fatal to the prosecution. The Court, however, decided that they had the power to amend the form, and the jury were re-sworn, substituting defendant for prisoner at the bar. Jane Owen, cook at Treforgan, deposed to receiving a letter from prisoner on the 19th November last, addressed to Mrs. Webley Parry. He represented himself as the servant of the Rev. David Protheroe, Eglwyswrw. Witness gave the letter to the parlour maid. Miss Parry came down to the kitchen and gave prisoner a letter, Ann Lloyd, parlour maid, gave the letter to Miss Parry, who came down stairs; heard Miss Parry use the word half-sovereign, but did not see Miss Parry give the letter to prisoner, who had told her he was a servant to Mr Protheroe, but could not be certain whether he said Reverend. Cross-examined by Mr. Bowen:—Miss Parry was not in the kitchen when I asked him whose servant he was. Miss Parry deposed that in consequence of receiving a letter from her parlour maid, purporting to come from the Rev. D. Protheroe, and containing a petition in behalf of a poor blind boy, to raise funds to place him in an Asylum, she enclosed a half-sovereign in a note and give it to prisoner, who told her he was the Rev. Mr Protheroe’s servant. He thanked her and went away. Subsequently, having a suspicion that all was not correct, she gave information to the police. Cross-examined by Mr Bowen:-Ann Lloyd, my maid, brought me a verbal message and also a letter. I opened the letter, it was a request to subscribe. The verbal message was, she had brought a note from Mr Protheroe. Mr Bowen contended for the production of the letter, which Mr Lascelles objected to. The Rev. David Protheroe, Vicar of Eglwysrw, denied all knowledge of the prisoner or the letter. P. S. Robert Harries after great difficulty apprehended prisoner at a low lodging-house in Cardigan. Miss Parry identified the note produced as the one she received purporting to come from the Rev. D. Protheroe which she sent to the police. The case tor the prosecution having closed, Mr Bowen objected, that if any offence had been committed it was one of forgery and not of false pretences, Miss Parry having stated that it was in consequence of the contents of the letter was that she was induced to give the money. Mr. Lascelles replied that the case had now taken a turn which he had not expected, and asked the court to exercise power conferred upon them by a late act; to discharge the jury and direct the prisoner to be again indicted, should their worships be of opinion that was a proper course. The Court having decided that the charge might be proceeded with on the present indictment, Mr. Bowen then objected that the indictment charged the prisoner with having obtained the money from Miss Parry by means of presenting a petition and letter purporting to be written and addressed to her by the Rev. D Protheroe, whereas it appeared by the letter produced that they were addressed to Mrs. Parry, her mother. After considerable legal arguments the Court thought there was a link in the chain of evidence deficient and directed an acquittal. On leaving the dock the prisoner was immediately taken into custody by the police, on charge of a similar fraud committed in Pembrokeshire, Attorney for prosecution, Mr. R. D. Jenkins…”
On 25th June 1853 Maria Washington Webley-Parry’s unmarried daughters Ellen and Eliza Jane Webley-Parry lived here. In 1856 David Kedgwin William Webley-Parry lived here. In 1858 Maria Webley-Parry died. She had rented Treforgan for twenty years, following the death of her husband, of Parcygors. In 1859 the Misses Webley-Parry had Glanhelyg built at Llechryd, to designs by “GWH, Treforgan”. John Isaac was the coachman here that year.
In January 1861 John Evans died here aged 22. In 1861-76 John Griffith jnr. lived here. In 1861 the following persons lived here: John Griffith, 28, surgeon; Sarah Sophia Griffith, 23, his wife; John Walter Griffith, 2, their son; William Griffith, 1 month, son; and eight servants – Mary ?Hale?, 33; Catherine Harris, 40; Maria Thomas, 20; Rebecca Maitland, 29; Sarah Thomas, 23; Mary Anna Davies, 18; John Harris, 37; and Thomas Jones, 15. In 1871 the following persons lived here: John Griffiths, 38, J. P. & landowner; Sarah Sophia Griffiths, 32, his wife; Arthur Lewis Griffiths, 7, their son; Charles Robert Griffiths, 5, son; Rebecca Hartland, 39, nurse; David Evans, 20, servant; Mary Williams, 37, cook & domestic servant; Jane Lapham, 21, dairy maid; Eliza Jeremiah, 15, kitchen servant; Ellen, 21, domestic servant; Thomas Williams, 15, farm servant; and Ann Davies, 16, chambermaid. John Griffith remained resident in August 1876.
In March 1877-93 the property was occupied by the Venerable Archdeacon William North, a Guardian of the Poor, Rector of Llangoedmor Church and former Professor of Latin at St. David’s College, Lampeter. He ran his household on very primitive lines. He used cart horses to draw a heavy chariot when he made his official visitations. He was reputedly able to pen poetry in seven different languages. He once translated some Welsh poetry for Carmen Sylvia, Queen of Romania, when she attended the National Eisteddfod. Archdeacon North preached and conducted services in Welsh and English and his services were always two hours in length. In 1881 the following persons lived here: William North 73, Archdeacon of Cardigan & Rector of Llangoedmor; Mary North, 72, his wife; William North, 38, their son, Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Engineers; Anne Rhoda North, 33, daughter; Mary Eleanora North, 31, daughter; Ellen Phillips, 46, housemaid; and Frances Davies, 20, cook. In January 1887 Mary North died here aged 78. In 1891 the following persons lived here: William North, 82, Archdeacon of Cardigan; Emily Bailie, 48, his daughter; William North, 40, his son; Ann North, 43, his daughter; Mary E. North, 41, daughter; Ellen Phillips, 58, servant; and Elizabeth Jones, 19, cook. Archdeacon William North died here on 7th June 1893 at the age of 85 following a brief illness. Herbert Millingchamp Vaughan of Plas Llangoedmor described Archdeacon William North as “…a scholar, a wit and a gentleman of the old school…” On 19th September 1894 there was a clear-out sale here.
In November 1894 Col. William Picton Evans moved here from No. 3 Belmont, Cardigan. In 1894-1905 William & Margarette Picton Evans lived here. In 1897 William Picton Evans was a Rural District Councillor. On 13th May 1897 there were massive celebrations at the wedding of Miss Edith Margaretta Picton Evans to Grismond Phillips of Cwmgwili. In February 1898 Mr. R. W. Picton Evans, son of Col. William Picton Evans, qualified as a lawyer. In 1899-1900 the staff here included A. Jones. In 1901 William Picton Evans was a Guardian of the Poor. In 1901 the following persons lived here: William Picton Evans, 63, solicitor (b. Haverfordwest, English-speaking); Margaretta Elizabeth Picton Evans, 54, his wife (b. Cardigan, English-speaking); Cecil Picton Evans, 30, their daughter (b. Cardigan, English-speaking); Frances Evans, 24, parlour maid (b. Llanarth, bilingual); Ellen Jones, 45, housemaid (b. Llanarth, bilingual); Rachel Lewis, 29, cook (b. Llanarth, bilingual); Mary Jenkins, 31, dairy maid (b. Whitchurch, bilingual); Mary E. Thomas, 17, kitchen maid (b. Cilgerran, bilingual); Emily J. Jones, 28, nurse (b. Cilgerran, bilingual); and G. Picton Evans, 2, grandson (b. Albergile). On 27th November 1901 R. W. Picton Evans married Miss Katherine Francis Blake. In 1902 Col. William Picton Evans was the President of Cardigan Agricultural Show. In 1903 his eldest daughter, Cecil Elizabeth Picton Evans, married Lieutenant G. H. G. Finzel in Cape Town, South Africa. On 11th May 1905 Col. William Picton Evans died suddenly at a meeting of the Cardigan Board of Guardians, aged 68. In May 1906 R. W. Picton Evans advertised Treforgan to let. A clear-out sale was held here on 24th & 25th September 1906.
In 1906 Lt. Col. George Evan Lloyd of Treforgan was killed. Mr. & Mrs. Reddie lived here that year. In 1907-09 George Webb Potter lived here. On 12th March 1908 Annie Cordelia Potter, the wife of George Webb Potter of Treforgan died aged 60, and he moved from Treforgan in 1909. On 20th April 1909 there was a clearance sale here. In July 1909 the 11 bedroom & 2 dressing room property was advertised to let with a 50 acre farm, having a separate farm complex. In 1911-15 David Davies lived here. In 1912 John Griffiths, formerly of Pantgwyn, owned Treforgan. On 20th March 1913 there was a sale of effects here for David Davies. On 1st September 1914 Miss Octavia Davies, 3rd daughter of Mr. & Mrs. David Davies of Treforgan, married John Rees Harries of Newcastle Emlyn. In 1914 Charles Lethbridge Ernest Morgan-Richardson of Rhosygilwen, Cilgerran, bought Treforgan from Colonel H. R. Lloyd. In 1915-23 Mr. C. L. E. Morgan-Richardson and his mother lived here. Treforgan was advertised for sale on 27th July 1923 with 10 bedrooms and 2 dressing rooms. In October 1923 the Morgan-Richardsns moved back to Rhosygilwen.
In 1924-46 Mr. & Mrs. Brindley R. Jones and their daughter lived here. In 1927 Miss Bessie Dunning lived here. In the spring of 1946 Miss Mair Brinley Jones received a Distinguished War Service Certificate for her work with the Red Cross Society during the war. On 29th August 1946 Brindley R. Jones died and his obituary appeared in ‘The Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser’, of which he was the editor and proprietor. In 1946-65 Mrs. Brindley R. Jones lived here. In March 1962 Miss Megan Brindley Jones died. The house was listed in 1964. In January 1965 Miss Mair Brindley Jones died. In December 1965 Mrs. Brindley Jones died. In September 1968 the property was advertised for sale.
The house and attached outbuilding range were described by CADW in 1994:
“…EXTERIOR – Early C19 country house in the classical Regency style of John Nash; built for Evan Davies (d 1832). Whitewashed rubble stone with square hipped slate deep-eaved roof and centre 1930’s large corniced brick stack. Two-storey three-window facades to S and W, three-window service range to E and outbuildings attached to NE. Main fronts have raised plinth, band and brackets to eaves. S front has circular roof-light, 12-pane sashes with cambered heads and stone voussoirs, and recessed centre with window over Roman Doric pair of timber columns with half-column responds and mutule cornice, tilted to shed rain. Recessed entry with fanlight over double panelled doors with side-lights. Reeded mouldings. SERVICE RANGE – Set back to right, has big brick stacks each end, French windows above with iron flower balconies, 12-pane sashes below, centre blank.
W FRONT – Centre 12-pane sash each floor, dummy to ground floor, and full-height bows each side with tripartite 1-12-4-pane sashes, flat-headed with slim dividing columns and half-column responds. Side-lights on upper floor are dummy. Rear (N side) has NW angle pier but is otherwise plain 4-window range of 12-pane sashes and blank windows. Rear of service range is outshut with three-window range of 12-pane sashes.
NE low outbuildings, l-plan with E end stack. E front has two doors, barn-entry and, in angle, tall door with overlight, into stables. Return has window and door into tackroom.
INTERIOR – Plan-form like Nash’s 17792-4 plans for Ffynnone, Llanaeron and Llysnewydd, but less coherent. Plaster-vaulted rectangular entry hall with glazed arch into square inner hall. The inner hall has recessed arch each side, then similar plaster-vaulted space to N, giving to N and NW rooms. Inner hall has quasi-dome, panelled spandrels curving into flat circular ceiling with fine plaster rosette. To E is apsidal stair hall with fine cantilever Bath stone staircase, plain iron balusters and ramped rail. Plaster mouldings under landing and to first floor, with lozenge borders, and rose. 6-panel doors in Regency reeded surrounds, and panelled shutters. SW dining-room has big elliptical arched N alcove and acanthus cornice. NW drawing-room has carved marble fireplace with floral vases, and undercut cornice of entwining leaves with guilloche border. Former library to N is plain, L-shaped with Regency fireplace. SE small study with similar fireplace. Square hall repeats on the first floor but has flat ceiling pierced by a big circular hole into an odd conical vent through the roof space to the circular skylight. A rectangular space to the W with guilloche ceiling border eases access to the rooms, for only NW first floor room is of regular shape. Moulded cornices and ceiling borders.
Rear service wing has spine corridor and narrow stairs off on N.
WALLED GARDEN – Early C19 walls to walled garden, rouble stone with square edge-on stone coping. Roughly diamond plan with walls of some 3m height and doors at N end of W side and E end of S side, both with cambered heads and stone voussoirs. Lean-to on rear NW corner…”
Llangoedmor Parish Records
Gloucester Journal 22/12/1788
Pembrokeshire Record Office: HPR/145/15
The Beauties of England & Wales, Thomas Rees 1815
Pigot’s Directory of South Wales 1830; 1844
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Samuel Lewis 1833
Tithe Map of Llangoedmor 1838
Hope Chapel Records, Cardigan
Census Returns 1851; 1861; 1871; 1881; 1891; 1901
NLW Noyadd Trefawr MSs 1156; 22
Post Office Directory 1871
Kelly’s Directory of South Wales 1875; 1926
Cardigan & Tivy-Side Advertiser 1876; 1893-94; 1897-99; 1901; 1903-09; 1911; 1913-20; 1923;
1925; 1927-28; 1933; 1937-41; 1945-46; 1962; 1965; 1968; 1995
Notice – Parish Church of Llechryd 13/03/1877
Poster – List of the Board of Guardians, Cardigan Union 28/04/1885
Burial Register – St. Thomas’ Church, St. Dogmaels 1852-85; 1885-1952
Occupiers List of Voters – Llangoedmor 1889; 1900; 1911; 1915
Cardigan Observer 1894
A Guide to Cardigan & District, W E Yerward James 1899
Report – Llechryd Auxiliary Bible Society 1899
Abstract of Accounts – Cardigan Union 02/08/1901
Telephone Directory – South Wales District 1940
Post Office Telephone Directory 1950; 1953; 1955
Capel Mair, D J Roberts 1955
Sir Lawrence Hugh Jenkins, D L Baker-Jones c1968
Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest – Llangoedmor, Julian Orbach, CADW
John Nash – Architect, Richard Suggett 1995
Historic Houses of Cardiganshire & Their Families, Francis Jones 2000
Cardigan County Agricultural Show, Islwyn & Betty Griffiths 2004.
(c) Glen K Johnson 28/06/2013